Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
...Is the fact that I use almost every single feature available on the iPhone barring the accessibility features - and even there I sometimes use a couple.

When I owned my galaxy s 2 (the phone I had before upgrading to my beloved iphone 5) I never used 50% of its features. I never used its front facing camera. I never used all of the Samsung apps that it shipped with. I never used any of the pro features that are found inside its settings and I rarely even used the rear facing camera or even play games! All I did was phone, message and watch YouTube.

Now with my iphone, as I said before I use everything and I use it all often, Ios has made it easy and fast and to use all it's features and they are all nicely integrated seamlessly (yeah I know that's an overused clique). I honestly couldn't live without my iphone - at least not live well - . It holds all my appointments. Reminders, photos. Videos, etc and I could certainly NEVER go back to android.

Not much point to this thread in terms of response. I was just using my
iPhone and felt the urge to express my gratitude towards it, says alot I suppose : )

Thanks guys

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K

Few points:

Just because you didn't use 50% of the 'features' doesn't make them useless and poorly implemented.

If you use all the features then the chances are there aren't enough to cater for everyone.

"All I did was phone, message and watch YouTube." So the iPhone has given you new tasks/jobs to do on your phone? ("It holds all my appointments. Reminders, photos. Videos, etc")

"I could certainly NEVER go back to android." That's assuming iOS and Android never change in relation to one and other...

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I never said it was, I just stated my experience. Obviously the way in which Samsung has integrated their software doesn't strike a key with me, whereas apple does. Horses for courses, I'm sure there's folks who are saying the same thing as me but about their galaxy S3 being the best phone they have used instead.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, everything you have described that your iPhone 5 is so wonderful for doing can be done on most any recent smartphone.

I've found that in terms of calendar services and other things that you've described, Android does a far better job at integration.

But its good that you're happy with your iPhone anyway.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, everything you have described that your iPhone 5 is so wonderful for doing can be done on most any recent smartphone.

I've found that in terms of calendar services and other things that you've described, Android does a far better job at integration.

Absolutely, it can be done on any smart phone since 2005. Lets keep in mind that iv used other smart phones, and this is my first iphone, but already it's surpassed usage of any other phone iv used to date. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm a simpleton and the iPhone is arguably the simplest of all smart phones to use, or maybe it's just that iv lived in an apple ecosystem and just haven't had the chance to see what it's like when I add the phone.

The android devices are fantastic, out of a family of 5, my mum brother and sister use android, me and my dad use iPhones. I have plenty of experience with android devices even to this day, and I dunno exactly what it is that made me not want to use most of their features, if I did this 'opinion' would have a lot more substance.

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
I've just recently figured out what it is about android that drives me away.

Logically Android has always been the right choice for me but I've always preferred iOS.

The single reason I don't get an android phone - I HATE THE MEDIA EXPERIENCE. I cannot get my head round consuming media, especially music, on android devices! Maybe I've just been conditioned by apple, but it's just such an intuitive app!

Anyway I just felt like telling someone that and didn't want to make a whole new thread :p

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Of all things, the media experience? Really?

I'll admit, I don't care for the media experience that comes out of the box, but I love the fact that I can download apps that I can set as default to play all my different media types.

A BIG thing for me is that I can connect to an external NAS to stream movies and TV shows onto my Galaxy S3/Nexus 10. This was the biggest drawcard for me, as I store all my media on the server.

If iOS devices would let me do that, I'd probably be more inclined to use them. But the fact they don't was a real dealbreaker for me.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002

It's definitely a different strokes for different folks kind of thing. Although, I've definitely found that non-techies, like my parents, will tend to get more out of their iPhones than they do out of an Android out of the box.

I think by calendar services you probably mean Google, because Android's support for Exchange is certifiably awful. And most of the apps trying to fill that gap are equally useless.

Of course, the only reason why iOS's implementation works better is because Apple gives a boatload of money to Microsoft each release to license Exchange/ActiveSync. Google does not. Why would they when they have their own cloud alternatives to push to businesses?

That said, I can't stand Apple's Calendar app UI as I find it dated, and brutally inefficient. The first app I ever downloaded was something to replace it with - I must have spent over $20 here and there to find an App that addressed my calendaring needs.

I now use the highly efficient Fantastical and it satisfies most of my frustrations.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

I'll admit, I don't care for the media experience that comes out of the box, but I love the fact that I can download apps that I can set as default to play all my different media types.

A BIG thing for me is that I can connect to an external NAS to stream movies and TV shows onto my Galaxy S3/Nexus 10. This was the biggest drawcard for me, as I store all my media on the server.

If iOS devices would let me do that, I'd probably be more inclined to use them. But the fact they don't was a real dealbreaker for me.

Wouldn't AirPlay accomplish this? I don't use my devices or media like that, but I would think that would work.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I think by calendar services you probably mean Google, because Android's support for Exchange is certifiably awful. And most of the apps trying to fill that gap are equally useless.

Of course, the only reason why iOS's implementation works better is because Apple gives a boatload of money to Microsoft each release to license Exchange/ActiveSync. Google does not. Why would they when they have their own cloud alternatives to push to businesses?

I do mean Google, yes. Mainly between multiple Gmail Accounts/Calendars/Notes etc.

alan111

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
You have to also kind of consider that this is a new world for you, so the reason you're using 'every feature' is because you're exploring and it's all new to you.
I've had the iPhone for several years now and I used to use 'every feature' until I just got comfortable with just using what I need.

Plus the things you mentioned can be done on any smartphone, android, blackberry, WP7/8 etc.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011

I stream things from my server just fine on my iPhone. Tons of apps for this already.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The thing that really soured my experience on Android was how much of a PITA it was when I swapped out a phone for a replacement or when I wiped the phone because it was starting to lag like crazy.

I came from an iPhone 4 to an Android phone running Gingerbread, and I was spoiled by the fact that all of the little details of your phone are backed up with iTunes without you having to worry about it. When I restored my Android phone (even using Titanium Backup on a rooted phone), I lost all my text messages and call history. Gone. Titanium Backup had backed up all my apps and specific folders and wallpaper settings but strangely didn't touch call history or texts. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I had to have two specific third-party apps to backup my call history and my text messages.

It was then that I really understood the beauty of the iOS experience. Needless to say, I've since sold that Android phone and now have an iPhone 5. Maybe Android now backs up call history and texts automatically, but I know Gingerbread didn't; and the latest numbers I've seen show that 75+% of Android handsets are still running Gingerbread or older.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I've gone from iPhone 3G -> desire HD -> becoming ultimately frustrated with my laggy android experience -> iPhone 4 -> galaxy nexus to try the vanilla android experience -> selling it after a few months -> borrowed iPhone 3GS for a few months -> iPhone 5 since launch day

I've tried Android twice and honestly, my iOS experience was far superior.

The nexus 4 is beautiful, the S3 is a fantastic phone etc but I prefer the look and feel of iOS. I prefer the games, the superior gaming performance and UI fluidity of the seemingly 'under specced' iPhone. I use an iPad and a mac as my other two devices with heavy reminders/calendar use. My iPhone syncs in with them two much more seemlessly via iCloud than my android devices did.

The increasing size of android phones don't do it for me either. For my uses and preferences, browsing and consuming media extensively on a 4 inch screen is the same as browsing on a 4.8 inch screen - they are both trumped by browsing on an iPad which is what I prefer to do.

This is all my own opinion though. Android has come a long way and some people prefer the larger screens because it works better for them and I totally understand that. I don't hate big screens on phones but they just don't do it for me.

I don't hate android either. It's just that for my lifestyle, an iOS device helps me get my work done more efficiently (hello there, iCloud) and lets me enjoy myself more with its more extensive gaming catalogue.

If iOS didn't exist, where would I go? The answers fairly simple, I'd go for the next best thing for my daily routine - Android ;)

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
don't understand people saying iOS is smoother than Android (high end at least)

I've only got a new iPad to compare to but my JB S3 is definitely as smooth

also the delay in bringing down the notification centre in iOS is really annoying

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
don't understand people saying iOS is smoother than Android (high end at least)

I've only got a new iPad to compare to but my JB S3 is definitely as smooth

also the delay in bringing down the notification centre in iOS is really annoying

The stigma that android is slow and laggy largely originated due to early android devices not having the hardware to support the OS.

Anyone who can be rational about it, and who has used any device with 4.1+ will admit that it is JUST as fluid as ios, if not more in some cases.

A lot of people also use the argument that 70% of android handsets are still running gingerbread, but realistically, if you buy any android handset that is relatively up to date, you'll at least have ICS.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

I hate capitalizing and bolding my word but I have to this time.

YOU CAN connect to an external NAS to stream movies and TV shows ON YOUR iOS DEVICES! Just download the AcePlayer app. It has SMB network support!

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
I hate capitalizing and bolding my word but I have to this time.

Will it let you do it when you're not on the same wireless network?
YOU CAN connect to an external NAS to stream movies and TV shows ON YOUR iOS DEVICES! Just download the AcePlayer app. It has SMB network support!

Can you do it when you're not on the same wireless network?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The stigma that android is slow and laggy largely originated due to early android devices not having the hardware to support the OS.

Anyone who can be rational about it, and who has used any device with 4.1+ will admit that it is JUST as fluid as ios, if not more in some cases.

A lot of people also use the argument that 70% of android handsets are still running gingerbread, but realistically, if you buy any android handset that is relatively up to date, you'll at least have ICS.

First of all Jellybean is most certainly still not up to par with the smoothness and accuracy of iOS. While the rendering is defitnetly much smoother on JB (everything is smooth ; at least most of the time and there isnt any more screen tearing) but when you put your finger down on the screen and scroll up and down or whatever, it doesnt follow your finger as fast and as precise as iOS devices. There is a slight lag in touch response and it most certainly feels weird. But kudos to Google, Jelly Bean is a huge update from what it used to be although a Jelly Bean like update should of been out on Android a long time ago

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I never used its front facing camera. I never used all of the Samsung apps that it shipped with. I never used any of the pro features that are found inside its settings and I rarely even used the rear facing camera or even play games! All I did was phone, message and watch YouTube.

So I assume you don't use the iPhone 5's FaceTime HD camera either?

You use all the apps that Apple shipped with the iPhone 5?

Even garbage like Game Center and Newsstand?

----------

First of all Jellybean is most certainly still not up to par with the smoothness and accuracy of iOS. While the rendering is defitnetly much smoother on JB (everything is smooth ; at least most of the time and there isnt any more screen tearing) but when you put your finger down on the screen and scroll up and down or whatever, it doesnt follow your finger as fast and as precise as iOS devices. There is a slight lag in touch response and it most certainly feels weird. But kudos to Google, Jelly Bean is a huge update from what it used to be although a Jelly Bean like update should of been out on Android a long time ago

Jelly bean is really close to what iOS is though. I was actually surprised it was that good.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012

I disagree here, but I think that might be because of a difference in devices.

My Galaxy S3 is running 4.1.2, and I can honestly say that I feel it is just as smooth as iOS is.

However, I've played with a One X running 4.1.1, and it is choppy from time to time. It seems that the Sense overlay chew up more RAM than TouchWiz does, and CERTAINLY more than what stock Android does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.