Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discolash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Hello, I hope that this is the right forum to ask this question, but I am at my wit's end and want to know how to fix this.

I work with my brother at his retail store and he lets me use his mac. It's basically the same computer with two different computers He has his computer and he has set me up with my own things which we can both log in with a password. On my side, as it does get boring waiting for customers to come in, I can check out different websites like TV Guide or Digital Spy or check out clips on Youtube. Everything was cool and I could stay on for an extended period of time for the past year and a bit.

Then about two months ago, something happened. My brother asked me if I had accessed any bad sites, which I didn't. (It's usually Youtube or any entertainment sites or business sites) The next thing you know, I can't access my hotmail or Twitter and some pages that I used to be able to access, It says that these pages can't be accessed due to parental controls and I don't have the administrative codes to fix this. Also, now it automatically logs me off at 7 pm, no matter what. I tried to ask my brother what to do, but he was as shocked as I was.

I did think that my brother was doing something to limit my usage. I wasn't sure. He was able to fix things a bit with regards to certain sites. However, in the past few days, I've been watching the store while he's away with his family in the neighbouring province. Yesterday the computer logged me off at 7 pm as per usual. Today, unbeknownst to me, at around 4:30, I was watching something on the CTV Video Player. (after a boatload of customers had come in)I had to re log in to my computer as I was not able to load up other websites. When I logged back in, I received a message from Parental Controls that I was to be logged off at 5 pm, 2 HOURS EARLIER. My brother was far away and couldn't access the computer. I did not know what was going on!!

My question is What did I do in the past 24 hours to warrant being logged off 2 hours earlier? My brother was on vacation and I didn't go on any bad sites. Why can't I access twitter or my hotmail?? How can I fix this problem? Will I ever lose more hours? (I'm not there for the whole day usually, only for the last few hours around 4-7 pm) Why is this happening to me? I'm at my wits end!:confused::confused:

Can anyone help?

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Only an administrator has the ability to edit parental controls.

Parental controls has a time based setting. If that is enabled, it will log you off even if you didn't do anything wrong. Until an admin changes the time setting, you will have to operate within those boundaries.

discolash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Only an administrator has the ability to edit parental controls.

Parental controls has a time based setting. If that is enabled, it will log you off even if you didn't do anything wrong. Until an admin changes the time setting, you will have to operate within those boundaries.

That sucks.

Can I ask who the administrator is? Could the administrator be a family member, like my brother or a parent? (thus the term Parental controls) or is some high up MAC official or someone like that who monitors the sites that I visit during the day? The reason that I ask this question is that My brother went on vacation on the 2nd. I watched the store on the 3 and the 4th and on the 3rd it logged me off at 7pm and then yesterday something happened that I was logged off at 5pm. If my brother is the administrator, how could he alter my logoff time from the next province???

When the parental controls were first activated I had a feeling that my brother was the "administrator" but this latest development has me very confused. I don't even know what I was watching that made the computer log off 2 hours earlier. Will it ever happen again? Why don't they send me an explanation?

It's times like this where I am glad that at home I have Windows XP and don't have something like Parental controls. At home, I am able to access Hotmail and Twitter without any problem!
:confused::confused::confused:

blatopilot

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Your brother is likely the administrator. It wouldn't be Apple, but someone with physical access to the machine. Usually the owner.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The reason that I ask this question is that My brother went on vacation on the 2nd. I watched the store on the 3 and the 4th and on the 3rd it logged me off at 7pm and then yesterday something happened that I was logged off at 5pm. If my brother is the administrator, how could he alter my logoff time from the next province???

Parental Controls has optional time-limits. One of those options is to assign different hours for Friday & Saturday nights. So a more likely explanation is that the controls had already been configured for different hours.

To get a sense of what the various restrictions can be, read this:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-mac-parental-controls.html

It's framed as a parent configuring the computer for a child, but the reality is that it's an administrator configuring the computer for any restricted account. From the article:
You don’t have to have kids to implement parental controls. These controls work nicely in setting limits on employees, friends, or visiting relatives.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.