Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #26
pubjoe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenan1982 View Post
The more appropriate question is why not just shell out $80 more and have 32GB of fast RAM? You spend $2200+ on the computer, why would you not spend an extra 4% and put 4 of the same chips in there? It's about the most inexpensive, and cost effective upgrade around these days.
Personally I agree and have done exactly that (with cheaper ram though). But for many people (myself included even), the last 8-16GB is used more rarely. The first GB is massively cost effective, with each additional GB slightly less so. It would be an even cheaper upgrade to make in a couple of years.

I think at this point though, the OP might as well just do so.

Last edited by pubjoe; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
pubjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:17 PM   #27
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubjoe View Post
Personally I agree and have done exactly that (with cheaper ram though). But for many people (myself included even), the last 8-16GB is used more rarely. The first GB is massively cost effectiveness with each additional GB slightly less so. It would be an even cheaper upgrade to make in a couple of years.
Not necessarily. Sometimes older RAM actually becomes harder to find and commands a price premium as the industry has moved on to the latest/greatest.

RAM right now is kind of at "all time" low prices. I would not be surprised if in a couple of years it was more expensive.

However I do agree with the general advice of putting in the 16GB of RAM and then seeing how the system is doing before adding the last 16GB.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:25 PM   #28
pubjoe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Not necessarily. Sometimes older RAM actually becomes harder to find and commands a price premium as the industry has moved on to the latest/greatest.

RAM right now is kind of at "all time" low prices. I would not be surprised if in a couple of years it was more expensive.

However I do agree with the general advice of putting in the 16GB of RAM and then seeing how the system is doing before adding the last 16GB.
Yes you are right there. I bought an entire PC with 2GB of DDR1 ram because it was less than the ram I needed sells for alone. That was after 10 years though.

Hard to say if the trend will stay the same or change to be honest. Especially with the current move toward sealed units for mass users. It's an interesting thought.
pubjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac