Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
In 10 years, people will laugh at the 128 GB. Just like we do now with traditional hard drives of today.

Do you think so? I can imagine a future where people don't even think about storage, whether it be local or somewhere else, we'll simply have sorted this issue and no one will care (in the same way we're moving away from RAM and CPU details in marketing and promotion, albeit slowly). Perhaps not 10 years? But at some point it'll happen - the devices on Star Trek never seem to indicate or care where (or how much) storage was, and that is where we're headed, right? :)

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
i'm pretty sure that is, in fact, exactly what they are doing.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but just in case you aren't I think he means why didn't they just keep selling the iPad 3 till February (avoid pissing on people after only 7 months) and then release the iPad 4 in February with all the capacities available from the get go.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
With the price of flash memory cant we just get 64/128 and maybe 180.

Are they really gonna stick with this 16GB? In this year of 2013 seems like we should be so much higher. I do get the cloud thing but you dont always have wifi or 3G/4G like if you are on a cruise or something.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's only suggestive of the 9.7 model, not the mini. Still possible that Apple would split the launch of each model to prevent them from canabalizing each other -- even if Apple says they don't care. (That's BS, they want you to buy one or more of each product they sell just like every other company).

I could see Apple pushing out a Retina mini in the spring or early summer, which also coordinates with when schools buy equipment for the next school year.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I call bullcrap. Apple releases things whenever they want to release things.
Case in point of a situation like this going the other way, white iPhone 4. Only a few months later, the 4s came out.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Why they didn't just release the iPad 4 with the 128G in Febuary is beyond me.

To push the lightning standard through the Christmas season. Despite the other updates like processor and front camera, that little connector was the real reason the 4th gen iPad was launched so soon.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Hhmm I'm not so sure . Sony is already making light of the fact they gave the thinnest 10" tablet on the market, will Apple be happy for them to hold that accolade for another 8 months plus whatever else the market brings out by that time. Apple are supposed to be market leaders
Given they made the iPad 3 and 4 thicker than the iPad 2, it is only logical to think that the thickness of the device is only one of many of Apple's concerns. I'm sure the next one will be much thinner, but I don't think they are under any pressure to race to the market to get it out.

Heck, reading an Engadget article tonight on Tablet sales, I don't think Sony's name even came up so they aren't exactly biting at Apples heels.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I'll replace my Ipad Mini with a Retina version, but I'm perfectly happy with my Ipad 4 64 giger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.