Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
gctwnl
macrumors regular

This is why I'm glad Windows is not my main OS

When using Windows it is smart to run a good virus scanner. From my work, we get free use of McAfee on our home PCs. I had installed McAfee on my Windows environment on my Mac.

McAfee warned me about not being able to update. Tried to fix it with their 'virtual assistant' but that did not help Tried to set up a chat session for support. IE crashed because of plugin trouble. Called the help desk. Had to wait for 20 minutes. Then had a call center agent on the line trying to help me (these people don't understand computers, they just run a script).

The call center agent told me I had to install 'the latest versions of Java and Flash' on my Windows environment. I told her that I had neither installed on my system but she persisted. These were necessary components for McAfee. Sorry, Flash and Java necessary components for a security solution? That is funny, really.

She did not believe me that I had been running McAfee for two years without Flash and Java and just sent me an email telling me to install them (or get stuffed). She shut down her phone but left the line open. After 15 minutes or so I hung up.

I spoke to a supervisor later and she talked to the high tech guys who confirmed that McAfee requires flash/java to be installed. Are you kidding me? The most often exploited inroads into a computer system are required components for a security system to protect it?

I have now removed McAfee entirely (and installed another virus scanner), but really, not having this kind of a nightmare every day (only once in a while when I fire up the old Windows) really makes me happy I'm not a regular Windows user.
gctwnl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2
MyNameIsDave
macrumors member

When I use Windows, I find that McAfee always slows it down too much, so I tend to use Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

MSE definitely doesn't use Flash/Java. McAfee possibly does for some of its user interfaces or to make it cross platform.
MyNameIsDave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:43 AM   #3
maflynn

No offense but we OSX users have to deal with snotty support folks from applications. Personally I hate McAfee and there are better (free) products for virus scanning on your windows.

If they say that flash and java are needed, why do you not believe them. I have had to install a number of Oracle server products and for a while both java and flash were needed for them. Luckily Oracle has moved away from flash but java is still needed.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:05 PM   #4
vistadude
macrumors 65816

Sorry but using McAfee on windows is like trying to buy an iMac G3 and run photoshop CS6 on it. It's way behind the times, microsoft has been offering a way better alternative for windows for years now, free for personal use, and with corporate licensing.

Even the corporate edition of mcafee slows down windows 7 by more than 50%. My company has a site license of mcafee corporate edition but my department bought it's own license of microsoft forefront security, which is pretty much the same as microsoft security essentials. It's way better and hardly consumes any resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post
When using Windows it is smart to run a good virus scanner. From my work, we get free use of McAfee on our home PCs. I had installed McAfee on my Windows environment on my Mac.

McAfee warned me about not being able to update. Tried to fix it with their 'virtual assistant' but that did not help Tried to set up a chat session for support. IE crashed because of plugin trouble. Called the help desk. Had to wait for 20 minutes. Then had a call center agent on the line trying to help me (these people don't understand computers, they just run a script).

The call center agent told me I had to install 'the latest versions of Java and Flash' on my Windows environment. I told her that I had neither installed on my system but she persisted. These were necessary components for McAfee. Sorry, Flash and Java necessary components for a security solution? That is funny, really.

She did not believe me that I had been running McAfee for two years without Flash and Java and just sent me an email telling me to install them (or get stuffed). She shut down her phone but left the line open. After 15 minutes or so I hung up.

I spoke to a supervisor later and she talked to the high tech guys who confirmed that McAfee requires flash/java to be installed. Are you kidding me? The most often exploited inroads into a computer system are required components for a security system to protect it?

I have now removed McAfee entirely (and installed another virus scanner), but really, not having this kind of a nightmare every day (only once in a while when I fire up the old Windows) really makes me happy I'm not a regular Windows user.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:32 PM   #5
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

You are wrong saying that you need to have a virus scanning/protection software on your computer. I have had 3 Windows based desktops in the past 9 years and none of them have ever got a virus and I only use the free Norton that they offer for a short time. After that, nothing at all.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hebrew View Post
You are wrong saying that you need to have a virus scanning/protection software on your computer. I have had 3 Windows based desktops in the past 9 years and none of them have ever got a virus and I only use the free Norton that they offer for a short time. After that, nothing at all.
It's not smart to run Windows without some sort of protection (no matter how safe you try to be) - especially since there are good, free anti-malware apps available.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:04 PM   #7
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stooby Mcdoobie View Post
It's not smart to run Windows without some sort of protection (no matter how safe you try to be) - especially since there are good, free anti-malware apps available.
I disagree. If you keep nothing personal such as bank information on your computer you are perfectly fine.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:05 PM   #8
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Smart? Maybe not. But definitely do-able. I know back in the late 90's, I used to run my PC without any virus scanner at all, and once a week I would do one of those trend micro "at home" scans, where they would install an active X control and do a scan from the browser window. I was always clean.

Of course a few weeks ago, my dad's secretary got a nasty virus from that java exploit that was going around. I guess my point is, even if you practice 100% safe-browsing, if you have java or flash installed it doesn't mean ****.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I disagree. If you keep nothing personal such as bank information on your computer you are perfectly fine.
If you have nothing important on the machine, I suppose so. But you'd still face the inconvenience of wiping the drive and/or reinstalling the OS, were anything to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
Smart? Maybe not. But definitely do-able. I know back in the late 90's, I used to run my PC without any virus scanner at all, and once a week I would do one of those trend micro "at home" scans, where they would install an active X control and do a scan from the browser window. I was always clean.
Well, there is a lot more Windows malware today than 15 years ago.

Quote:
Of course a few weeks ago, my dad's secretary got a nasty virus from that java exploit that was going around. I guess my point is, even if you practice 100% safe-browsing, if you have java or flash installed it doesn't mean ****.
That's why I just don't think it's worth the risk. Will anything bad happen if you practice safe browsing and computing in general? Probably not. Why take the risk, though? Avast and MSE are free and aren't resource hogs like some of the big names (*cough* Norton *cough*).

Last edited by Stooby Mcdoobie; Feb 9, 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 11:39 PM   #10
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you have nothing important on the machine, I suppose so. But you'd still face the inconvenience of wiping the drive and/or reinstalling the OS, were anything to happen.

Well, there is a lot more Windows malware today than 15 years ago.

That's why I just don't think it's worth the risk. Will anything bad happen if you practice safe browsing and computing in general? Probably not. Why take the risk, though? Avast and MSE are free and aren't resource hogs like some of the big names (*cough* Norton *cough*).
Windows is much more advanced than it was 15 years ago. It's built in security measures should be good enough for almost everyone that doesn't download files that give you free money.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:14 AM   #11
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I have been using Windows since the 3.1 days, back when Netscape was the norm. We've never used anything but Microsoft Security Essentials either.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:31 AM   #12
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

I personally feel you don't need a active Virus Scanner and like to manage my trusted programs manually. To do this; don't install random shit, download only from trusted sources and scan untrusted downloads with VirusTotal. If I have a large installer, it gets installed on a Virtual Machine with MSE running before loading it on Real hardware. I also always disable System Restore & Windows Defender. =P

Now I know not everyone agrees with not running a Virus Scanner, if so Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good choice.

Quote:
Here are a few security tips:

Last edited by Quad5Ny; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:05 AM   #13
printz
macrumors regular

How is disabling Autorun/Autoplay optional? It seems like a no-brainer to me to disable that thing, especially on thumb drives, where it really makes no sense. Too many worms spread that way, just because someone inserts it into the USB drive. You should disable it on CDs too, those can contains worms too, developed by big companies to introduce their DRM into your root.

Also OS X can get attacked too, it's probably some of the better practices (such as lack of autoplay feature) that keep some of the viruses at bay. Or maybe the Mac users knowing better to avoid risks, thanks to being a minority who know what they spend money on…
printz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:26 AM   #14
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Microsoft disabled the horrible Autorun thing your thinking about back in 2009 with a security update. Autoplay is a popup Window asking for your input. You are right though, the auto-whatever stuff is a bad idea because most people don't think and just click away.

As for the page I linked to in addition to having the autorun security update, it completely kills autoplay (disabling the popup window, double click and even the right click autoplay).

This is autoplay (autorun launches programs without asking):
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:29 AM   #15
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistadude View Post
microsoft has been offering a way better alternative for windows for years now, free for personal use, and with corporate licensing.
A product that's consistently at the bottom of the barrel for protection too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
Now I know not everyone agrees with not running a Virus Scanner, if so Microsoft Security Essentials is a very good choice.
Doubt that.

http://www.informationweek.com/secur...av-c/240142986
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Michael Goff
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

So you're glad you don't use Windows because McAfee sucks?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:08 AM   #17
Holmes093
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
So you're glad you don't use Windows because McAfee sucks?
This ^

McAfee is awful, use a decent AV like Eset Nod.
Holmes093 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:42 AM   #18
MJL
Banned

Quote:
After I got some virus in 1998 that none of the prevailing anti-whatever programs managed to get rid off I no longer bothered with that kind of software. Just keep the firewall up to date and use a NAT router and be sensible where you browse.

A year ago I "upgraded" to Microsoft Securities and I have never ever had any alarms or nasties entering my system. Overhead of securites is next to nothing, unlike Norton and McAfee.

Windows is my preferred business OS and in the weekends I use OS X.

As they say: horses for causes.
MJL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:55 AM   #19
SpyderBite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsDave View Post
When I use Windows, I find that McAfee always slows it down too much, so I tend to use Microsoft Security Essentials instead.
This. MSE does well enough on my windows machines for the minimal amount of use they get. Suites like Norton & McAfee tend to noticeably slow down Windows from my experience as well.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac