Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:06 PM   #26
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat987 View Post
I have the 11.6 air and recently got the 13 rMBP. IMO they compliment each other perfectly.
How do you use them together?
entatlrg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:41 AM   #27
Buck987
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
How do you use them together?

The 11.6 inch stays in my sleeve case and comes out in a pinch at any time to work on a PPT, give a presentation, do financials for my business etc. I have had to pull to the side of the road to answer questions on a PPT and the size is perfect for using in the car. Its also better for small restaurant tables and for times I have to share a desk with a client.

The 11.6 air was cheap enough (best buy $900, 4gig 128) so that having it as a secondary computer ready at any time adds value to me by me not having to worry about packing a computer each day and lugging around the slightly heavier 13" rMBP.

I use dropbox so my key files for a client are always there.

With a 13" rMBP I don't see the need for a 13" air. You lose a little portability with the 13" air and then I would say to myself why not just take the rMPB. What's another 3/4 pound.

The 13 rMBP with the better screen sees the bulk of my work at night. And for longer periods of time. The 13 air screen is nice but not at good.

So for a business owner...11.6 air and 13rMBP are the ways to go at the current prices.
Buck987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:14 PM   #28
Hayabusi
macrumors newbie

I'm basically in the same boat.
I need a new (lighter) laptop for my 6 month trip to Tokyo to write my Master thesis there.
I could get the top 13" Retina for around 160CHF (175$) more than the Air (256GB, 8GB RAM).
But I don't know if it is worth it.
I want more screen real estate compared to my current 13 MBP, because I don't know if I will have an external monitor there (or if I buy me a cheap one, which I really consider if the lab does not have a spare one).
The 1440 of the Air are already quite an upgrade when running two office windows side-by-side, so would the 1680 give me even more (or would the text be to little for a whole day of writing and reading)?

And I am a little bit worried about running the Retina at 1680 performance wise.
Hayabusi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:05 AM   #29
Hayabusi
macrumors newbie

So I spent some time at the store and decided to get the Air.
It was basically a weight decision, because I will have to take it with everyday and perhaps on a two (or more) week trip to further explore the country.
As I also want to take my DSLR with me everyday, everything counts. :-)

So I got the 256GB one with an RAM upgrade to 8GB and will pay around 1100, while my old MBP goes for around 500-600 on ebay. So all in all a great deal! :-)
Hayabusi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:10 AM   #30
Buck987
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusi View Post
So I spent some time at the store and decided to get the Air.
It was basically a weight decision, because I will have to take it with everyday and perhaps on a two (or more) week trip to further explore the country.
As I also want to take my DSLR with me everyday, everything counts. :-)

So I got the 256GB one with an RAM upgrade to 8GB and will pay around 1100, while my old MBP goes for around 500-600 on ebay. So all in all a great deal! :-)
cant go wrong with any macbook...all the best for your trip and the thesis
Buck987 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:06 PM   #31
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusi View Post
I'm basically in the same boat.
I need a new (lighter) laptop for my 6 month trip to Tokyo to write my Master thesis there.
I could get the top 13" Retina for around 160CHF (175$) more than the Air (256GB, 8GB RAM).
But I don't know if it is worth it.
I want more screen real estate compared to my current 13 MBP, because I don't know if I will have an external monitor there (or if I buy me a cheap one, which I really consider if the lab does not have a spare one).
The 1440 of the Air are already quite an upgrade when running two office windows side-by-side, so would the 1680 give me even more (or would the text be to little for a whole day of writing and reading)?

And I am a little bit worried about running the Retina at 1680 performance wise.
wow - just based on the information in this post it is obvious that you have a way better life than i do

;-p
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air