Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matteusclement

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
victoria
I am helping a few students with shooting and editing video and I was curious to know what the difference between iMovie and elements is? Is elements worth the $100?

I use Premiere Pro but none of these guys have money for it. I'd imagine that Elements has some restrictions like no GPU rendering.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Premiere Elements is better. Timeline with layers, keyframing, three way color correction, more effects and transitions come with it, audio effects with the ability to host third party plugins, ability to host third party video effects, more export and import options, audio mixer, organizer and more.

Premiere Elements is perfect for someone who wants more options and power than you get with iMovie. It is not Premiere Pro, but it is also not $700.

You can download Elements for a free 30 trial. This will allow you to compare them side by side.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Definitely get Premiere Elements.

iMovie, IMO, is just there so that someone can just casually cut together their home videos.

If you're gonna be teaching students how to shoot and edit, you're much better off getting Elements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.