Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Narial Taster

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I grudgingly had to jailbreak and unlock my 3GS when I moved from the US a couple of years ago as AT&T did not unlock out of contract phones at the time. As a result I had to 'upgrade' to the 06.15.00 baseband and use ultrasn0w.

Now that redsn0w has finally made it possible to downgrade to the 05.13.04 baseband and AT&T unlocks out of contract phones I would like to factory reset my iPhone and set it up as new. I have tried looking all over the Internet to see if this is possible and though the topic has been covered in great detail I cannot find any specific information. Here are the questions that I would love to get answers to:

1 - Can I remove ultrasn0w and unjailbreak (by removing Cydia perhaps?) and if so how do I do so and when? Is this to be done before downgrading to 05.13.04 or after?

2 - Can I simply connect my phone to iTunes and restore it after I downgrade it to 05.13.04? If so then can I update it to the latest iOS version compatible with my phone?

3 - If this process is possible and successful then will my phone behave like any other non-jailbroken phone?

I am afraid of bricking my phone as I have never played around with the jailbreaking process and would appreciate help!

machasm

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2010
Not looked into this in great detail but i would have thought that a downgrade of the baseband would be first followed by a DFU restore to ios 6.0.1 via iTunes?

Narial Taster

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Here is some more information that may be of help.

Firmware - 06.15.00
iOS version - 4.3.3 (8J2)
SHSH blobs saved by Cydia - iOS 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3, 4.3.5, 4.3~b1, 4.3~b2, 4.3~b3, 6.0.1
Model - MB717LL
Serial Number (First 5 digits) - 88935

I was wondering whether I could simply follow the redsn0w based downgrade process for going from 06.15.00 to 05.13.04. Would the fact that I do not have SHSH blobs for my current iOS version (4.3.3) pose problems?

I would like to completely wipe all traces of the jailbreak and unlock since I don't need either now. I also want to be able to update to iOS 6 (and install future updates). I have searched all over the Internet but cannot seem to find a definitive step by step guide to my problem. This is the first time that I am attempting the jailbreak/unjailbreak process and so will greatly appreciate a detailed response.

cx2009

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012
Advice required too

I am very interested in the reply to this as my phone was jailbroken and I tried to update it to iOS6 thinking it would delete the jailbreak and I'd just have an updated phone. Apparently it updated the iOS6 but I needed to restore the phone, which I also did, successfully. It's now factory reset. However, I can't activate my phone to use it, despite having it unlocked (unlatched) by the carrier (O2). Even though I've plugged it into itunes, it wont register my sim card which is a different carrier.

Here is some more information that may be of help.

Firmware - 06.15.00
iOS version - 4.3.3 (8J2)
SHSH blobs saved by Cydia - iOS 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3, 4.3.5, 4.3~b1, 4.3~b2, 4.3~b3, 6.0.1
Model - MB717LL
Serial Number (First 5 digits) - 88935

I was wondering whether I could simply follow the redsn0w based downgrade process for going from 06.15.00 to 05.13.04. Would the fact that I do not have SHSH blobs for my current iOS version (4.3.3) pose problems?

I would like to completely wipe all traces of the jailbreak and unlock since I don't need either now. I also want to be able to update to iOS 6 (and install future updates). I have searched all over the Internet but cannot seem to find a definitive step by step guide to my problem. This is the first time that I am attempting the jailbreak/unjailbreak process and so will greatly appreciate a detailed response.

Narial Taster

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Here's a step by step list to unjailbreaking and restoring an iPhone 3GS on 06.15.00 to factory settings. This may come in handy for other 3GS users who were stuck on an old version of iOS and who no longer want to be jailbroken as AT&T now unlocks out of contract phones.

1 - Use this guide to downgrade your baseband from 06.15.00 to 05.13.04 using redsn0w. Make sure to use redsn0w 0.9.14b2 and not a newer version as I read somewhere online that 0.9.14b2 works best.

2 - If you are a current or former AT&T subscriber and your iPhone is eligible for an unlock then use this form to request it and proceed to the next step once you get a confirmation that your iPhone has been unlocked.

3 - Once you are on baseband 05.13.04, put your iPhone in DFU mode to do a complete restore, remove the jailbreak and set it up as new. See this video for reference on how this is done.

There are many tutorials available online which outline the baseband downgrade process but they use the older and more cumbersome process that is based on redsn0w 0.9.14b1. The process I have linked to above was much simpler and worked just as I expected it to.

Enjoylife1788

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
Can this be used to downgrade without shsh blobs for the earlier version??

I have a 3GS on 5.0.1 with iPad baseband. Have blobs for only 4.1 and 6.0.1. Can I go to 4.1 from here?? And then preserve the baseband and then update to 6.0.1 while preserving the baseband???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.