Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
2015, and it is STILL going!

A new updated posted as they make changes to be work with STEAM system.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Thanks for the info but I'm going skip it. I was thinking about getting it until I saw the subscription price. The $15 per month subscription fee is too much.

It is F2P with a basic list of units to pick.
Subscription gets you all units.

They also have days where everything is available.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
This game is only 13 years old? Man, so much has changed in my life since then LOL. I didn't know it was still around; too bad I don't play video games anymore I used to publish so many cool dogfight videos of large formation bombing runs long before fraps was a thing and now nobody even knows what that is anymore lol...

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
This game is only 13 years old? Man, so much has changed in my life since then LOL. I didn't know it was still around; too bad I don't play video games anymore I used to publish so many cool dogfight videos of large formation bombing runs long before fraps was a thing and now nobody even knows what that is anymore lol...

16+ years since released.
17+ since closed beta testing.

Go ahead and pop in for some fun. 30 min or so.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
WW2 Online is on a ROLL!
New version (1.35.12) with 2 new vehicles, this time the Hawker Hurricane 2b with bombs ("Hurriebomber") and the Bf 109E-4/b with 250kg (520lb) bomb.

Also:
The Italians are here!!
Infantry brigades with 2 Italian weapon equipped, with more to add over time.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The BIGGEST terrain changes in the history of game is NOW LIVE.

On top of gradual expansion of the map, including laying out of roads, is the breakup of the mega-cites of Antwerp and Brussels.

These cities are original to game when it was first laid out in late 2000, 18 years ago!
They have always been significant road bumps to any sides plans to winning a campaign, and the sheer size of the cities also slowed down game play simply due to time needed to get to locations (and this is still a 1/2 scale map!!).

This is now the cities look like now, with how supply links are arranged.

Brussels
inner-brussels.png

bruss-inner2.png

Antwerp
antwerp-links.png

And the beginnings of the map expansion mentioned
futuretowns.png
earlier.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
20+ years and still going!

Despite some models looking 20 years old, the game play has improved.
Most important is completing migration to 64bit to be future proof.

Despite some speed bumps, it keeps on going,

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This week:
Latest version is FREE!!
Till Jan 6th
Over the years, I’ve done some online mmo combat games, and I’m hesitant to jump in again. I’d think to be fun, you’d do better or have more fun as part of a clan. The last serious one I played was Planetside, SciFi, but it had a variety of roles, infantry, tanks, vehicles, and aircraft.

Presently, one thing I like about the World of Tanks/Warships games is that they are short 15 minute battles with objectives, not an mmo environment.

How to vehicles work? Do you select a vehicle first, or stumble across one in game? I always enjoyed driving tanks.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Recent massive announcements for WW2 Online:
A number of new features and units added to game.

Long term the move to the Unreal 4 engine, first step was to acquire a similar game and start combining elements. Will be months before full switch.
Can play both versions, called "WW2 Online: Chokepoint"

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.