Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neil1981

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
Southampton, UK
Taking my iPad Mini back to Apple tomorrow for a replacement due to a non-working microphone.

Will I get a new unit or a "white box" replacement? Anybody got any insights?

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Taking my iPad Mini back to Apple tomorrow for a replacement due to a non-working microphone.

Will I get a new unit or a "white box" replacement? Anybody got any insights?

The replacement I almost accepted came in a brown box with original plastic around the iPad mini. The Genius person said it was brand new, not a refurb. I declined it though. I got my money back, and just got a White & Silver iPad mini today.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'm not sure how this works in the UK but if you are still within your return period, you can simply do a return/exchange without having to see a genius and get a brand new one.

pward

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
If you go through the Genius Bar you will get a replacement unit from stock allocated for replacements. It's too early for these to be refurbished units so it will be new, just not presented in a retail box.

If you are within the 14-day return window you could simply return it without seeing a Genius and immediately purchase a new unit which would of course be in a retail box (assuming the store has stock).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.