Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What is your favorite browser?

• Safari

Votes: 61 52.1%
  • Chrome

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Firefox

Votes: 28 23.9%

• Total voters

MasConejos

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Houston, TX
I've used Opera since the early 2000's. I even (gasp!) paid for it to remove the ads.

Opera was unstable for me about a year ago, and I moved to chrome for a while, but after 6 months the way screen scrolling/updating works began to really annoy me and I went back to opera. Chrome is my backup browser now, though.

Steeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2011
Safari. I like Chrome, but I like iCloud tabs syncing and reading list more because of my idevices.

dmj102

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2013
Canada
I use both Safari and Chrome. Safari is my default browser and I do like the iCloud syncing. Chrome renders certain websites better and remembers my zoom options unlike Safari. In Safari, I have "never use font sizes smaller than 18" in preferences because of the tiny print and this makes some website's print overlap. Also, Chrome's menu bar is not washed out light grey like Safari, and I like Chrome's colourful favicons. I have Firefox as a back-up browser.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Mac - Safari then Chrome.
Windows- Chrome then IE (soon to be spartan)

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Safari on my personal and work mac's; Opera in Linux + Windows (at work) Don't have Chrome, don't have a google account don't like it as a browser.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I use all three, depending on what I am doing. But at work, I use Chrome, except when I need some of the extensions that are part of FFox (and consume resources when I don't want them to). I use Safari as my clean browser -- easy to delete cache/cookies, etc.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Should have allowed more than one since I use all of them for very different purposes.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
The people that are voting safari really need to try chrome!
I will never trust a browser made by Google. They have too much of a vested interest in knowing (and selling) my browsing habits. I'm not about to hand them the keys to my house, so to speak. I'm surprised by the number of people that trust them.

Just my opinion of course.

Reality4711

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2009
scotland
Tried to use all of the others of time but always turn to Safari. Not being a tech. I do not feel the need to download odd things or files from windows or anything really that is outside the Apple spaces. Other sites, UI's just don't seem obvious to me and I find myself just turning them off just to get rid of the headache they are causing. All browsers feel heavy to me but I understand that others have more complex needs than my own so live with it. I sometimes feel (make that always feel) that the software side of computing is getting way to top heavy and that the core user has to deal with "stuff" not only of no use to them but in fact of a real hinderance. This not a dumbing down request but simply an observation after years of this stuff that I "just don't need it all"!
List the things YOU NEED and I bet a lot of you don't either(need it all). There is a huge market out there for simple (not basic) simple software; skinny and fast on solid fast hardware to be used, Just used by the majority.
To use a well known respected persons words altered to avoid ©. Some need BIG TRUCKS; some need FAST TRUCKS; some need incredibly FAST TRUCKS; I need your basic FAST CAR!!.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Mostly Safari.

I'll use Epic when I need some privacy.

I'll use Firefox if either of the above have problems or if I need to download content from Youtube (or elsewhere).

If -nothing else- seems to work, I'll use an old obsolete copy of Camino.

Chome? Never.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
What sort of poll is THIS??? I use Opera and there is not even an option for it!!! Please be aware that not everybody uses a data-scavenging, spy-browser or kiddy, make-it-look-like-Star-Wars-if-you-want-to Pleb browser. Get over it. :D

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
i can't believe the #1 browser that is used isn't even on the list, what a shame.

Attachments

• 2015.jpeg
    2015.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: AngerDanger

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
Safari for me.

Before I became a Mac user, I heavily relied on Firefox. I would occasionally jump to try out Opera, Chrome, Safari for Windows, etc but always went back to Firefox. I think my favourite era of Firefox was when they had the Firefox orange button at the top left of the window.

When I switched to Mac, I installed Firefox hoping to get the exact same experience but it was just weird and ugly and Safari was way smoother and it fits into the OS way more. Plus iCloud tabs and Handoff made it really convenient for me. It just works.

I do keep Firefox and Chrome installed though just to have an alternative but I rarely ever use them.

I really dislike Chrome—its trying too hard with the handburger menu but more importantly it has become the old laggy Firefox. It used to be a cool new browser but it is **** now. Very overrated. Firefox however is redeeming itself but I would rather it find its own design language than emulate Chrome.

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
I use Chrome. I'd switch to Firefox, or even Safari, but I've not found any extension that matches Stylebot for Chrome. I use it extensively to remove bits of websites I don't want to see - ads, videos, entire columns (Facebook sidebars, etc).

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've just started using Opera. It's come a long way since the early days. And with a huge catalog of extensions (particularly the handful that I use) it is quite excellent. IMO, better than Safari and Chrome but with the cross-platform and syncing offered by Chrome.

Reactions: vkd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.