Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Engraving on iPad is the same as for iPhone, iPT.

2 lines only.
34 characters (including spaces) each.
Same or very similar font size (so it is tiny on iPad)
ONLY in the language of your iTunes account (some characters on US English KB also not allowed:mad:).

To me this is the most anal-retentive restriction Apple has. :mad::mad:

(asbestos underwear on)

I HAVE sent Tcook@apple.com email about this (other too, but they bounced back)
I also sent iPad Feedback.

I know this devalues my iPad, but its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

2 lines only.
ONLY in the language of your iTunes account (some characters on US English KB also not allowed:mad:).

(asbestos underwear on)

I know this devalues my iPad, but its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!

You sound just like a spoiled brat. If you don't like what is offered for free then take it somewhere else and pay them to engrave it to your exact specifications. If Apple chooses to offer something for free then it is their right to decide the terms on which they offer it.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
there's a reason why there are so limited options on the engraving...that's why it's free.

why stress out over it...take it somewhere else if you want better engraving.

2 lines only.

(asbestos underwear on)

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I never understood the need for engraving on iPhone or iPad. What happens when you need to replace it? I guess you lose the engraving right?

I just don't get it. Not hatin, just not relatin.

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa

I was thinking this exact same thing. What i would greatly enjoy is the ability to use the whole back. I know plenty of people would do something ridiculous like ghetto font "get mo' money".. But I'd adore grabbing photoshop and make something amazing, or hire someone on deviantArt to make something. So as long as you didn't cover the Apple logo, FCC info or the word iPhone I don't see why they couldn't.. well xD other then reducing the possibility of returning it even more.

----------

I never understood the need for engraving on iPhone or iPad. What happens when you need to replace it? I guess you lose the engraving right?

No, they re-engrave it for you. * But in my experience it will delay your replacement by up to a week

*Side note, some apple stores will refuse to repair or replace your iDevice if it's engraved

S

syd430

its MY iPad, so let me put whatever I want on it!

How many companies offer engraving on their products during checkout in the first place?

Also, i'm sure there is a business reason for the restrictions, probably so you are not hogging the engraving machine for the hundreds of products that need to pass through it every hour.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I was thinking this exact same thing. What i would greatly enjoy is the ability to use the whole back. I know plenty of people would do something ridiculous like ghetto font "get mo' money".. But I'd adore grabbing photoshop and make something amazing, or hire someone on deviantArt to make something. So as long as you didn't cover the Apple logo, FCC info or the word iPhone I don't see why they couldn't.. well xD other then reducing the possibility of returning it even more.

And Apple will let you do that to your iPad they just wont pay for it nor should they.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
*Side note, some apple stores will refuse to repair or replace your iDevice if it's engraved

Umm...no. Not if you are still within your 1 year warranty or purchased AppleCare+. Why would Apple encourage you to engrave something if they were going to not honor their own warranty? Just to tell you "ha ha, you engraved something we offered for free at checkout so we can't work on it"? I don't think so.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How many companies offer engraving on their products during checkout in the first place?

Also, i'm sure there is a business reason for the restrictions, probably so you are not hogging the engraving machine for the hundreds of products that need to pass through it every hour.

This... Mass manufacturing lives and dies by throughput.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
It's free... I would understand more if it were a paid service. But since it's free, you're only gaining something not really losing something. Also, I don't see any other electronics company doing engraving on their products, free or paid.

ScruffyS

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2013
Vermont, Usa

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
You sound just like a spoiled brat. If you don't like what is offered for free then take it somewhere else and pay them to engrave it to your exact specifications. If Apple chooses to offer something for free then it is their right to decide the terms on which they offer it.

Agreed. If you want something engraved and Apple won't do it, then you can take it someplace else and have it done.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003

You could make a plaster cast of the engraving, and keep it on your mantlepiece . You know -- to enjoy and stuff ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.