Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Do you stay below 75C with Handbrake running? Even if I set the fans to 4600 before I start Handbrake, my CPU is at 90-95 the duration of the Handbrake encode. If I let the stock fan control operate, it lets the thing run at 100-103 the whole time. I'm not very comfortable with this long term. I have a few ideas I am considering right now.

(sorry about delay responding) Yes it seems to stay around 75C for the entire Handbrake project, when I'm running Lobotomo "Fan Control". However I am in a fairly cold room about 18C. I think I saw Handbrake push the temps a little higher maybe 80C in the summer, and the exact type of Handbrake run seems to make a difference too, even though they all work the CPUs heavily.

What I like about Lobotomo Fan Control is it gradually raises the fan speed as CPU temperature rises, keeping things under control, and the rising fan noise lets me know something is happening, such as one of those Web browser pop-up ads that is hidden under another browser window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.