Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I think Mankind has evolved enough to figure out how to insulate a building and build air cooling machines.

It's definitely a gamble to assume Apple has aquired this sacred knowledge, but we will see if this facility errupts in flames sooner rather than later.

Besides the stolen Alien technology is located in a different base, so there's that.

Yea and the new Apple HQ is the alien mother ship :rolleyes:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
But also higher cooling costs no?

Desert seems like a counter intuitive location.

Have you ever been in the desert? Yes it is hot during the day but at night it is very cold.

I took a motorcycle trip to Moab, UT in July. During the day it was about 98 degrees, but at night it got so cold my tent, the ground, my motorcycle, and the picnic table were all covered in frost.

In fact I (stupidly) had a summer tent and summer sleeping bag, so it was a pretty bad night for me. I ended up wearing my motorcycle suit and stuffing all of my clothes inside my sleeping bag with me for extra insulation.

So I imagine in a 24 hour cycle the cooling cost might even out. That combined with free solar electricity.

Probably the location is where there are no earthquake fault lines, no flooding problems, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, low taxes, and fast Internet.

fo0bar

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
Probably the location is where there are no earthquake fault lines, no flooding problems, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, low taxes, and fast Internet.

We actually get a lot of earthquakes (#3 in the US, after Alaska and California), but they tend to be smaller, and even the bigger ones don't do much due to the ground composition around here.

Flooding of the Truckee River is a problem once every few decades, but the new tech park they're building in is significantly higher than the river, so there's virtually no chance of it affecting them.

Wildfires are the most significant natural disaster threat, but with that amount of space, they can build an effective fire line. Everything else you mentioned is true, especially the Internet. About half of the country's east-west backhaul fiber goes through Reno, and makes a pit stop at a nondescript 8-story building downtown. (Most of the rest of the fiber goes through Phoenix.)

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Reno is not that hot. It's near Lake Tahoe. This is not Vegas weather.

Oh, having spent time in some grim data centres, all I have to say is a pity the poor sod who has to deploy hardware or do network integration testing there. Hopefully, they'll supply working toilets and toilet paper (never a given).

Whoever has to work out there will be able to gamble in Reno and take advantage of Tahoe 24/7. Not a bad deal

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Apple is building another data center near Bend, OR. I'm not sure if they've broken ground on that one, though. What's inside, just rows and rows of server racks? I wonder how many jobs come with one of these data centers.

----------

Remember that movie "The Andromeda Strain" back in the 70's?
You entered thru an old Country Store, then went down, down, down.;)

I re-read the book just a few months ago. First time in decades. It's a little dated in placed but still a great thriller. :D

idunn

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2008
Apple in the desert

Advantages:
1. Cheap housing in trailer parked in hills
2. Perfect for loners, conspiracy theorists and disgruntled people
3. Can bring guns to work and shoot at reptiles you see while on LSD
4. Chance for 2nd income digging suspicious mounds for the mob
5. Can sneak into all you can eat buffets
6. Can see stars and UFOs on those clear desert evenings
7. Legal prostitution with local discounts
8. Can work while high and naked as there are no supervisors
9. Can snoop on everyone who is in the iCloud
10. Don't have to fix anything as people don't expect iCloud to work anyway

Desert living at its finest. :D

;) Reno, btw, is a major warehousing center, due location and (lack of) taxes. It resides close to the California state line, and Tahoe (with a sizable portion of that beautiful alpine lake within Nevada). Geographically Reno is closer to the Bay Area than Los Angeles.

Hopefully that shed is an initial iteration, with future buildings some architectural merit.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
If the architects are smart they will incorporate a form of cooling I have seen on a few homes and warehouses that involves digging 2 shafts that are about 4 foot across (each) down about 60 foot or so, joining them at the bottom and sticking fans on the tops of them, one blowing deep earth temperature air up and the other blowing room air down. Very effective constant temperature all day / all year and very cheap to run.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
It's not a particularly attractive area of countryside is it?

Who knows what went into the ultimate decision to locate that Data Centre there. A few possibilities that spring to mind:

- Desert land, relatively cheap
- With a yearly average of almost 80% sunshine http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/united-states/nevada/reno/, a good candidate for a solar farm on some of those 345 acres.
- Well east of the SA fault line
- Reasonable labor costs
- Possible tax breaks, etc.....

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
It looks like the kind of place I'd expect to see in grainy black & white footage from a guided missile as it flies in through a window...

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
Now all Apple needs to do is wire up the nation for affordable, unlimited broadband, and they will be able to stream itunes content to the masses.

Until then, I'll stick with Blu-ray.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
But also higher cooling costs no?

Desert seems like a counter intuitive location.

Desert has nothing to do with temperature and all to do with rainfall. But it does get hot as hell in Reno. But, again, as another user pointed out, evaporative cooling is very efficient in low humidity, however it wastes a ton of water.

lie2me

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Somewhere
If the architects are smart they will incorporate a form of cooling I have seen on a few homes and warehouses that involves digging 2 shafts that are about 4 foot across (each) down about 60 foot or so, joining them at the bottom and sticking fans on the tops of them, one blowing deep earth temperature air up and the other blowing room air down. Very effective constant temperature all day / all year and very cheap to run.

If they dig down below surface level, temperatures do cool down when it is hot outside.

The coldest night on a camping trip I ever endured during Boy Scouts was in Johsua Tree in the middle of the southern CA desert. However, if there is an inversion layer, the heat stays on the ground surface during the evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.