Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
I am wondering about running aperture 3 on large external 2560 x 1440 screen, connected to my 2011 macbook pro. Not so much a question of IF it will work, just how well it will run.

The macbook pro specs are:
Intel HD 3000
Core I5 2.3 ghz
4 gb ram

I don't plan to run much, if anything, else in the background. It'd just be a way of taking my photo library with me on the go, while also letting me do some nice pixel peeping and professional editing at home on a big screen.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I am wondering about running aperture 3 on large external 2560 x 1440 screen, connected to my 2011 macbook pro. Not so much a question of IF it will work, just how well it will run.

The macbook pro specs are:
Intel HD 3000
Core I5 2.3 ghz
4 gb ram

I don't plan to run much, if anything, else in the background. It'd just be a way of taking my photo library with me on the go, while also letting me do some nice pixel peeping and professional editing at home on a big screen.

I have a Thunderbolt display that I have attached to my 2012 MBA and it was fine for Aperture. I often bring the ATD with me when I am working remote at my beach condo.

At home, the ATD is attached to my 27" iMac... and then I run Aperture in dual display mode. I typically have the secondary display set up to display a full screen view of the selected photo... but there are lots of options.

/Jim

DrD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Great answer. Thanks, my MBP should be speced pretty similar to your MBA, so that more or less answers that.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
You do have an SSD correct? I find Aperture performance is quite sensitive to fast I/O. The SSD has about ~100X the IOPS of a HDD... and you can feel it in an application such as Aperture.

/Jim

DrD

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
You do have an SSD correct? I find Aperture performance is quite sensitive to fast I/O. The SSD has about ~100X the IOPS of a HDD... and you can feel it in an application such as Aperture.

/Jim

Not yet... but oddly enough I was planning on getting one along with the monitor at the same time. Glad to know it will help considerably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.