Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAJohnsonGymDaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
All,

Posting newbie to the forums, but been lurking for a while. Our IT guy (CPA) firm tells me that the Mac Mini is terrible at streaming ESPN 3 or sports because of stuttering. He says windows machines are much better. He's not sure why. Is he full of bull, or is this the truth. Normally, he's a Mac guy (laptops, iPad, iPhone, etc.). Would like a Mac Mini to use in my Home Theater and airplay to other Apple TV's, but want to get opinions from others in the know, first. Thanks for your opinions.

David

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
All,

Posting newbie to the forums, but been lurking for a while. Our IT guy (CPA) firm tells me that the Mac Mini is terrible at streaming ESPN 3 or sports because of stuttering. He says windows machines are much better. He's not sure why. Is he full of bull, or is this the truth. Normally, he's a Mac guy (laptops, iPad, iPhone, etc.). Would like a Mac Mini to use in my Home Theater and airplay to other Apple TV's, but want to get opinions from others in the know, first. Thanks for your opinions.

David

A new mini streams ESPN3 fine based on personal experience. There are a lot of people on this forum that use mini's as HTPC's and media servers.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Streaming speed should be a function of your Internet connection speed and not your computer system. I watched some ESPN3 on my Apple TV running through my '08 MBP with no issues. And I watched drag racing so I would have noticed stutter in the feed ;)

Note: I have Comcast at around 12 Mbwhatever. Megabits/sec, I think.

Dale

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
WatchESPN

I just purchased the IPad Mini and the streaming on ESPN is great.. no problems..looks like HD.... also I have Uverse for internet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.