Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Um, no? They stop selling a model after it's bumped from 3rd oldest in the lineup.
Again, no.

Wiki can help you.

2b570453aaddd3a7a3627554622d5d8a.png

iphone 1
iphone 3G
iphone 3G+3GS (2gens)
iphone 3GS+4 (2 gens)
iphone 3GS+4+4S (3 generations) first time they kept on a 3rd gen.
iphone 4+4S+5 (3 generations) first and only time they stopped selling when a product was bumped from 3rd place.

Last edited:

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
How many iPhone 3GS's do you think were sold and are still in active use?

I'd estimate around 40-50 million were sold. Compared to around 700 million iOS devices that will likely be sold by the time iOS 7 is released.

I was referring to the iPod touch actually... in fact you really need to add up all the devices it doesn't support moving forward. i am pretty sure not too many of them have been thrown in the trash over the years but have been inherited around the world.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I was referring to the iPod touch actually... in fact you really need to add up all the devices it doesn't support moving forward. i am pretty sure not too many of them have been thrown in the trash over the years but have been inherited around the world.

The 4th Gen iPod touch is only another 15-20million units at most. And all the other devices are covered by the current statistics since they were already unsupported with iOS 6. Nowhere near enough to fit your theory.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
iOS 6 support is still going to be around. Trust me. There are apps that still support iOS 5 even.

The iPod Touch is owned mostly by kids and teenagers without cellphones. I went through two iPods in my middle and high school years. The 3rd generation iPod and then the iPod Video. My brother has gone through two iPod Touch 4th generations, and I'm getting him a 5th as soon as I can. By the time that becomes obsolete, he will be ready to have an iPhone.

You want to talk about fragmentation? You should have been here when the iPod Touch with the microphone came out. THAT made the previous iPods obsolete, and it made people angry that their iPod wasn't supported just because it didn't have a microphone.

The 3GS was supported so long because it was a phone, and it was only discontinued from being on sale last year. When you sign a contract, the phone has to last you two years or more. Most iPods in the hands of kids break within three years, so there's no point in supporting something that most will probably replace this year anyway. It was getting sluggish anyway.

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
The 4th Gen iPod touch is only another 15-20million units at most. And all the other devices are covered by the current statistics since they were already unsupported with iOS 6. Nowhere near enough to fit your theory.

So you cannot load iOS6 into any of the older iphones or ipod touches? I am pretty sure there are many more cumulative devices that are newly unsupported then your numbers tell.

Aljamaki

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
It's worked perfectly every time I've selecte OK with no issues what so ever.

Apple shouldn't make so much noise about this. Google might start paying attention. :)

Also, it's not like everyone is upgrading by choice.
Try and restore your iPhone and not upgrade to iOS6. Unless you are saving signed blobs, you are pretty much getting iOS6.

(Yes there are ways, but the average user is pushing OK, upgrading iTunes and iOS to latest versions and just hoping their text messages are still there and their home button works again.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.