Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Monter
macrumors newbie

How do you re-install Logic Pro?

Hi all

I want to perform complete re-install of Logic Pro but only have my Logic 8 and Logic 9 upgrade disks as 'originals' (oh, and a dongle of course); however the disks are now unreadable (I get dialogue box "Cannot open the application Logic Studio.mpkg because power PC applications are no longer supported". I contacted the Apple Forum page and was advised

"This is not a Logic 8 issue, it's a common problem with Logic Suite's original disks. You must call Apple and they will give you a free set of replacement disks (Disk 1 and 2 I believe)"

I tried that and got bounced: the only means of sending a message is generically filtered and wide of anything like Logic. The question now is who and how does one contact Apple?

I can't be alone in this, so I will be grateful if anyone can advise me?

regards and thanks
Monter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:47 AM   #2
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monter View Post
Hi all

I want to perform complete re-install of Logic Pro but only have my Logic 8 and Logic 9 upgrade disks as 'originals' (oh, and a dongle of course); however the disks are now unreadable (I get dialogue box "Cannot open the application Logic Studio.mpkg because power PC applications are no longer supported". I contacted the Apple Forum page and was advised

"This is not a Logic 8 issue, it's a common problem with Logic Suite's original disks. You must call Apple and they will give you a free set of replacement disks (Disk 1 and 2 I believe)"

I tried that and got bounced: the only means of sending a message is generically filtered and wide of anything like Logic. The question now is who and how does one contact Apple?

I can't be alone in this, so I will be grateful if anyone can advise me?

regards and thanks
there was a time when you had 90 days pro support that started the FIRST time you call in for help. I don't know if that's still around.

Call 1-866-75-APPLE (1-866-752-7753).

That's the apple-care pro audio support # - maybe they can help?

I have no idea. best luck.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Boyd01
macrumors 65816

Quote:
the disks are now unreadable (I get dialogue box "Cannot open the application Logic Studio.mpkg because power PC applications are no longer supported".
Why do you say the disks are "unreadable"? That is not what this error message means. The disks are being "read" but the installer program will not run because it needs Rosetta, and Apple dropped support for that with Lion.

I don't know about older version of Logic, but I have an old version of Final Cut Studio and wanted to install Soundtrack Pro on a new computer with Lion last year. I got the same error message.

However, in my case, the program itself was compatible with Lion but the installer was not. There are a couple ways around this; one of them involves copying the DVD's to a form of writable media, then running individual files. That is kind of a pain.

What I did was just install Soundtrack to my old MBP that is still running MacOSX 10.5x. That was easy, and after installing there I simply copied the program and associated files to my new computer where everything worked fine.

If you (or a friend) still have an old Mac running 10.6 or earlier, you could give this a try.
Boyd01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 10:33 AM   #4
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Use the third-party installer "Pacifist", which can open, browse and selectively install from any installer package.
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Hi all

I want to perform complete re-install of Logic Pro but only have my Logic 8 and Logic 9 upgrade disks as 'originals' (oh, and a dongle of course); however the disks are now unreadable (I get dialogue box "Cannot open the application Logic Studio.mpkg because power PC applications are no longer supported".....

The disk are obviously still readable because how else would the installer know that they contain "power PC applications" that are "no longer supported". It is clear that the disks are OK.

You best bet, really is to upgrade to the current version of Logic. But I think you could instal an old version of Mac OS X to an external disk then reinstall the Logic 8 on that drive.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:17 PM   #6
BigRed1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
The disk are obviously still readable because how else would the installer know that they contain "power PC applications" that are "no longer supported". It is clear that the disks are OK.

You best bet, really is to upgrade to the current version of Logic. But I think you could instal an old version of Mac OS X to an external disk then reinstall the Logic 8 on that drive.
It sounds like they have already upgraded to 9 (they have the upgrade disks). How close do you live to an Apple Store? Maybe they could help you out somehow.
BigRed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio