Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luthierwnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2013
Hi All,

This is a follow-up to a previous thread but has enough new elements I thought I'd launch it on its own.

After much backing and filling, I got an HTPC which is an i5 PC with lots of memory, storage and a dedicated gaming video card to make everyone in the household happy. I copied my wife's iTunes library (mostly videos) to an external drive and then loaded that onto the HTPC's main storage drive. It also has a small SSD drive for the operating system which is where the iTunes program is kept.

All has gone seemingly well but I'm having a hard time getting all the extras aligned with the features. Like many of you, we have an HD version and a SD version that has things like bloopers, director's commentaries, etc. I transferred the entire iTunes Media portion of the library intact to a dedicated iTunes folder on the D drive .

It is the special features that are giving me trouble. When you pull up a standard definition movie with extras, you usually get the opening menu choices of watching the movie, bonus features, commentaries etc. Some of those will open and some won't. I've tried tracking them down through the Explorer files where I get a choice of video, images, CSS, etc. Cracking into those I can open individual snippets in iTunes. That registers them on the library as their own entity but doesn't necessarily include the 20 other ones next to it.

What I'm fishing for is a tutorial on how to set up the movie library so that only the main movie is shown and that all the extras can be accessed from the opening screen menu rather than having to chase them down through the file system. I'm sure it has come up many times and someone who got tired of answering the same questions created a sticky. Hoping to find that.

Thanks for looking and for your help, sh

luthierwnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2013
update

I have more information that changes the question. It seem whenever I play one of the special features from the Explorer files, it relocates the file to the Home Video folder in iTunes Media (they start in the videos file). I did a properties scan after searching for known missing files and all five of them went home from the dance with someone else.

So far, the only thing I've done media-wise with the HTPC has been loading the iTunes file from the one computer so it would be no trouble to wipe the HTPC D: drive and re-transfer the intact folder still on the external backup drive.

If anyone can recommend techniques so that vids stay put, I'd love to hear your experience. Cheers, sh

bbapps

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Texas
I have more information that changes the question. It seem whenever I play one of the special features from the Explorer files, it relocates the file to the Home Video folder in iTunes Media (they start in the videos file). I did a properties scan after searching for known missing files and all five of them went home from the dance with someone else.

So far, the only thing I've done media-wise with the HTPC has been loading the iTunes file from the one computer so it would be no trouble to wipe the HTPC D: drive and re-transfer the intact folder still on the external backup drive.

If anyone can recommend techniques so that vids stay put, I'd love to hear your experience. Cheers, sh

This may be what you are after.... This will keep media from being copied to the iTunes Media folder when you add/import media into iTunes (e.g. vids should stay put).

1. Open iTunes.
  2. From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click Advanced.
  4. Deselect the option to "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library file."
  5. Click OK.

An article you may want to read http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1391

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.