Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:55 PM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Two Dead After Weapon Discharge Causes Explosion Fire

In where the responsible gun owner is showing off his AR-15 and it accidentally fires and results in his kid's death.

Quote:
HENDERSON COUNTY, Tenn.- The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and Henderson County Sheriff's Department are investigating the deaths of a father and son who were killed in a house fire that reportedly started after the accidental discharge of an AR-15 rifle, Sunday.

"Any loss of life is tragic, when a child looses their life it hit the community hard," said Sheriff Brian Duke of the Henderson County Sheriff's Departtment. " There was maybe an accidental discharge of the weapon from there we haven't really determined how the fire started but that is what State Bomb and Arson officials are looking into."

Witnesses told investigators that the father, Terry York, 48, was inside the back room of his home showing a friend the AR-15 rifle when it accidentally fired. Family members told WBBJ 7 Eyewitness News that the gunfire immediately ignited a small fire inside of the home.

They said the fire did not seem too threatening at first, but did cause the house fire alarms to sound. Deputies said the friend left the room where the fire was burning as York's son Luke, 12, ran inside to help his dad put out the flame. Investigators believe the fire grew out of control within minutes leading to the possible explosion.
http://www.wbbjtv.com/news/local/Two...220278331.html
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:08 PM   #2
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Why you would ever load a round inside your home except if you needed to defend yourself is beyond me. People also drive 85 MPH on bald tires or never clean their dryer vent until it catches their home on fire. I see people do all kinds of unsafe stuff that gets them hurt or killed. Why? I don't know.

Another lesson to learn from this is never ever re-enter a burning building for any reason. I know at the moment it might seem to be a good idea to put out the fire on your own, but things can get out of hand very quickly. Get out and call the Fire Dept.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
lannister80
macrumors 6502

$10 says this guy thought he was a "responsible gun owner", just like every other gun owner.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Happybunny
macrumors 68000

I have a feeling that by the end of the day Fox News will be making out that this is incident is all President Obama's fault.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Something is not passing the sniff test.

I'm wagering improper storage of combustible agents. I've seen millions of rounds fired through the years, and never saw a fire start raging as a result.
Technarchy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:16 PM   #6
steve knight
macrumors 65816

Guns don't usually accidentally fire on their own. Well unless the NRA says so.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 07:56 PM   #7
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Looks like you need more laws to regulate fire, not guns.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I'm wagering improper storage of combustible agents. I've seen millions of rounds fired through the years, and never saw a fire start raging as a result.
And you are a professional fireman too?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:51 PM   #9
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

I agree, cause we all know fired rounds are ice cold.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:36 PM   #10
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

I agree with what Technarchy said. The Mythbusters tried to blow up a car gas tank and a propane tank with a bullet fired from a gun and could not make it happen.

My thoughts and prays go out to the family.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
And you are a professional fireman too?
Well the only explosive gas that should be inside of a home is natural gas which "should be" contained in iron pipes except in new construction they are using a lot more poly because it's cheap.

It doesn't take a professional fireman to know that all explosive fuels and gases should be stored outside of the living area.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:55 PM   #12
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Ugg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Well the only explosive gas that should be inside of a home is natural gas which "should be" contained in iron pipes except in new construction they are using a lot more poly because it's cheap.

It doesn't take a professional fireman to know that all explosive fuels and gases should be stored outside of the living area.
So gun owners are generally inherently ignorant?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:11 AM   #13
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1 View Post
I agree with what Technarchy said. The Mythbusters tried to blow up a car gas tank and a propane tank with a bullet fired from a gun and could not make it happen.

My thoughts and prays go out to the family.
If the guy shot a tracer round, basically anything flammable go boom. Something I doubt Mythbusters tried.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:19 AM   #14
fox10078
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
If the guy shot a tracer round, basically anything flammable go boom. Something I doubt Mythbusters tried.
Actually they did, and it was the only way to make it explode.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:02 AM   #15
GermanyChris
Banned

The muzzle flash probably started the fire not the bullet..

Why the thought he needed to chamber a round to show his buddy is beyond me..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:50 AM   #16
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
So gun owners are generally inherently ignorant?
There are car accidents everyday... So are automobile owners generally inherently ignorant?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:00 AM   #17
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There are car accidents everyday... So are automobile owners generally inherently ignorant?
I can't give you a fraction, but, it is pretty high. Just try riding the bus some time down a heavy traffic main street (e.g. 3+ lanes). The bus gives you a good view of what people are doing. See how many people are either on their phone with no handsfree device, texting, putting makeup on, have stuff blocking their rearview mirrors, eating a burger with both hands, etc., etc. No wonder there are so many car accidents everyday. That's another reason I hate to buy new cars.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:30 AM   #18
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I can't give you a fraction, but, it is pretty high. Just try riding the bus some time down a heavy traffic main street (e.g. 3+ lanes). The bus gives you a good view of what people are doing. See how many people are either on their phone with no handsfree device, texting, putting makeup on, have stuff blocking their rearview mirrors, eating a burger with both hands, etc., etc. No wonder there are so many car accidents everyday. That's another reason I hate to buy new cars.
Your right and I think no matter what it is either guns, automobiles, home fire safety and maintenance, power equipment, motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles, chain saws, etc...etc...etc... all can cause injury and death. I see a general lack of safety when it comes to all sorts of stuff. How do we get people to take a few extra minutes and think safety I have no idea, but there would be a lot less injury and death if they did.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:34 AM   #19
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Your right and I think no matter what it is either guns, automobiles, home fire safety and maintenance, power equipment, motorcycles, ATV's, snowmobiles, chain saws, etc...etc...etc... all can cause injury and death. I see a general lack of safety when it comes to all sorts of stuff. How do we get people to take a few extra minutes and think safety I have no idea, but there would be a lot less injury and death if they did.
One of these things is not like the others...

Hint: One's a weapon designed solely to kill. The others are tools.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 06:45 PM   #20
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Only if they drive in their living room.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues