Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcus8521

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Okay, so I know exactly what kind of computer I'm going to get, as stated in the title of the thread. I've heard all sorts of different things related to how the i7 isn't the best processor for gaming, and how the i5 is best for that. But then I've read from a couple of different places that the i7 would be better for music production, which is what I am going to also be using my iMac for. I know that for games the graphics card is most important, which is why I'm upgrading to the 680MX, but I've been going over this a lot in my head mostly about the processor.

So, would it be alright if I put the i7 in my iMac and it would still be good for gaming, or would keeping the i5 kill my processing speed for when I want to record music?

I desperately need some help in making this decision, so any input would be most appreciated, especially on the whole i5 vs. i7 debate.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Okay, so I know exactly what kind of computer I'm going to get, as stated in the title of the thread. I've heard all sorts of different things related to how the i7 isn't the best processor for gaming, and how the i5 is best for that. But then I've read from a couple of different places that the i7 would be better for music production, which is what I am going to also be using my iMac for. I know that for games the graphics card is most important, which is why I'm upgrading to the 680MX, but I've been going over this a lot in my head mostly about the processor.

So, would it be alright if I put the i7 in my iMac and it would still be good for gaming, or would keeping the i5 kill my processing speed for when I want to record music?

I desperately need some help in making this decision, so any input would be most appreciated, especially on the whole i5 vs. i7 debate.

I feel like if you're going for the upgraded GPU, go ahead and tack on the i7. It will only help you being that is has a higher core speed than the i5, so even in single core applications, it will be a faster CPU. I can't see any situation where the i7 wouldn't be beneficial. And again, you can only add on the 2GB GPU to the highest end iMac, you're not really saving too much by not getting the i7.

(Granted, I'm biased since I do a lot of Handbrake encoding and the i7 is a must for me.)

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012

Upgraded GPU and CPU, that's what i've done and it's blisteringly fast. Go for it! It will also last longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.