Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I got my New IPad on Friday I Was really excited with the 4G LTE speed. Right now I just got a message saying I'm almost out of data? I don't know how this could happen I don't feel like I use that much data and I was using WiFi most of the time. I never had a problem with my iPad 2 I had 2gb and never ran out. Anybody having this issue?.

What does your usage in iPad settings show

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Here is the bad thing...

If you load a movie, it buffers faster than you can watch it. If you fast forward or rewind, it rebuffers again. Every time you buffer, you are using bandwidth and if not on an unlimited data account it costs you money. Yes it is sad you get charged for the part of the movie you skip or may not even watch. Additionally it does the same for whatever browser you pop open and leave up. Moral of the story, do not stream on cellular unless you want to pay for it. I think 1 Netflix movie is ~ 1GB?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I am still wondering how I have used 2gb in the middle of my mouth for my 4S. Normally, I use up 1gb at the end but yet somehow I have 2gb in the middle.

ATT.com gives you a day by day accounting so perhaps pinpointing the day will reveal the usage?

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
So if you have the grandfathered data plan on iPhone you can use it with the iPad?

Well, I per se use my grandfathered unlimited data plan for my iPad via jailbroken, however- I always just paid for the iPad 3G data plans since its a bit more convenient without drawing so much power from my phone.

Of course- I will certainly run a 4G data plan for my ipad from the reviews. :)

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
The OP made a stupid error and now everyone blames the carrier! LTE was NEVER ment to be one's sole connection. Nothing one can do for someone who did not at least chack his usage through out his LTE weekend!:p

FASTER SPEED will ALLOW you to use more data FASTER! You need to control what you are doing.

It was our current president that gave the carriers permission to charge for bandwidth used.:mad:

Enjoy!

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I'm not blaming AT&T but I'm saying there;s no way I used 3gb of data in 3 days. All I did is check my email download a couple of apps watch a few videos I had an Ipad 2 and never went over 1GB in a whole month doing way more. I will contact AT&T I was just wondering if anybody had this issue or just me.

See the bolded text. That's likely what did it. Particularly now since it supports HD content, video eats up bandwidth.

Eventually, something will need to give if LTE is going to realize its full capabilities. People won't tolerate 3GB or 5GB caps since the whole point of moving to faster downloads is to enable additional services. For now, however, recognize that mobile data is expensive.

zurichuk

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Hmmmm, quite possible. I was downloading 2 or 3 videos from the bbc iPlayer 2 days ago on wi-fi. Took the iPad into a room where the wi-fi is weak, especially if I close a couple of doors. I realized later that the downloads had taken 900 Mb from my allowance in no time.

BigHonkingDeal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2009
Fort Pierce
This just shows the absurdity of the current pricing schemes. What do the carriers expect people to pay for a mobile plan? $300+ a month?

If you can reach your limit in three days then there is obviously something wrong with the limits. I remember Compuserve charging by the minute in the old days..... This too shall pass:)

Last edited:

Jiggz28

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Capping data is just a big ripoff

I bought a Ipad 32gb with 4g, OK so I went to the apple store to use their WiFi and to ask some questions while I'm downloading my music and apps.Went home and starting playing with it then all of a sudden I get a message from At&T telling me that I only got 2% left on my recently purchased 3gb data plan, How recent? like 3 hours recent. They told me that I'd have to purchase more data there data rate plans start at $14.99 for 250, $30 for 3gb and $50.00 for a 5gb. I don't know how much data I use because I'm not used to keeping up with my data usage because I have Sprint's great unlimited data plan for my Iphone.

I started thinking if I purchase more data then I'll be spending more money then I originally intended and if this is going to be and on going thing where I have to constantly purchase more data because I'm almost certain that I will always go over then I'll basically have a second phone bill.What a ripoff how can I possibly enjoy my tablet if I'm constantly worrying about my data usage.Apple already got their money out of me when I decided I didn't want to be WiFi bond and it would be in my best interest to cough up the extra 100 bucks , but now it seem as if the cell phone carriers or at least At&t are trying to cash in on data usage by over pricing for such a little about of data.

----------

Hmmmm, quite possible. I was downloading 2 or 3 videos from the bbc iPlayer 2 days ago on wi-fi. Took the iPad into a room where the wi-fi is weak, especially if I close a couple of doors. I realized later that the downloads had taken 900 Mb from my allowance in no time.

Sounds like you and I have the same problem I went to the apple store to use their WiFi and I still went over. It just sounds like a scheme to me.

----------

I'm not blaming AT&T but I'm saying there;s no way I used 3gb of data in 3 days. All I did is check my email download a couple of apps watch a few videos I had an Ipad 2 and never went over 1GB in a whole month doing way more. I will contact AT&T I was just wondering if anybody had this issue or just me.

I went over in 1 day with 3gb of data and didn't even watch any videos. i had just bought it but after reading some of the post i guess even when your on WiFi the still charge you data.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't think att would deliberately fake your data usage. I think you need to check all your settings and check everything.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Were you streaming video?

I do some pretty data intensive tasks and the only time I ever hit the cap is when I begin streaming video.

Splashtop is another terrible data hog. A few minutes of remote controlling will consume about 100MB+ of your data.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I bought a Ipad 32gb with 4g, OK so I went to the apple store to use their WiFi and to ask some questions while I'm downloading my music and apps.Went home and starting playing with it then all of a sudden I get a message from At&T telling me that I only got 2% left on my recently purchased 3gb data plan, How recent? like 3 hours recent. They told me that I'd have to purchase more data there data rate plans start at $14.99 for 250, $30 for 3gb and $50.00 for a 5gb. I don't know how much data I use because I'm not used to keeping up with my data usage because I have Sprint's great unlimited data plan for my Iphone.

I started thinking if I purchase more data then I'll be spending more money then I originally intended and if this is going to be and on going thing where I have to constantly purchase more data because I'm almost certain that I will always go over then I'll basically have a second phone bill.What a ripoff how can I possibly enjoy my tablet if I'm constantly worrying about my data usage.Apple already got their money out of me when I decided I didn't want to be WiFi bond and it would be in my best interest to cough up the extra 100 bucks , but now it seem as if the cell phone carriers or at least At&t are trying to cash in on data usage by over pricing for such a little about of data.

Why don't you download a data manager application for your iPad and keep track of how much data you're using.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-data-manager/id477865384?mt=8

Also, assuming you have a wi-fi connection at home, why not use wi-fi while at home, and then use cellular data whenever you're out and about in a non wi-fi zone?

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I had this problem on my iPad on ios6. Turns out it was the podcast app using it even though I had it for cellular data was set to off

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.