Headed to Paris, & need nano SIM for iPhone 5 - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:16 PM   #26
ECJ
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidserz View Post
I didnt day anything anot LTE, just wanted the data option. I got a SIM from orange but the menu has since changed and I haven't been able to activate a data plan. The employee said it would be activated by tomorrow but my credit has not been reduced so I don't think anything went through. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Orange in France as of late.

Thanks
Take the phone/SIM to a 3rd party phone shop. Most will walk you through or handle the phone menu for you. That's what I did. That menu system is very confusing. I'm headed back in two weeks, so would like to know the new menu options too.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:44 PM   #27
Medoncology
macrumors newbie

Pay as you go in Paris

I have used iPhone 5 via Orange multiple times in Paris. 99 percent of Orange employees have no idea how to set up data. When in the store pay extra for data. Unfortunately, often takes 48 h to be activated. Orange employees are only experienced with phone calls on iPhone 5 with pay as you go.
Medoncology is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2013, 02:57 PM   #28
wysiwyg1972
macrumors member

I use SFR when in France as pay as you go. They recently altered their smart phone plan for Iphone and it is now 20€ for unlimited talk/text (within/to France) + 300 GB data valid for 1 month. I've had my card for 4 years now as I go to France at least once a year (originally from there). On my iPhone 4 I find coverage quite bad compared to Canada. I barely get 1 bar there in 3G indoors (often switching to EDGE or GPRS!) while i get 5 bars everywhere in Canada. I don't think it's the frequencies since the 4 has all the main ones? Anyhow I will upgrade to the 5s next summer so hopefully coverage will be better.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:24 PM   #29
nidserz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medoncology View Post
I have used iPhone 5 via Orange multiple times in Paris. 99 percent of Orange employees have no idea how to set up data. When in the store pay extra for data. Unfortunately, often takes 48 h to be activated. Orange employees are only experienced with phone calls on iPhone 5 with pay as you go.
So what do you do? How do you get data?
Today I needed it so I did 50mb for 2 Euro because I could figure that one out, but I watched carefully as 50mb flies, so I kept turning it off when I didn't need it.
Will try to go to a store tomorrow and ask again.
Will report back.
twitter |youtube
nidserz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 05:44 AM   #30
Medoncology
macrumors newbie

pay as you go in Paris

You must go back to Orange store and find an employee who understands how to institute data plan. If not, you will see your remaining minutes evaporating as long as phone is kept on.
Medoncology is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2013, 06:18 PM   #31
ECJ
macrumors regular

Well arrived in Paris today and great news. The SIM cards from October last year work fine, and don't expire till July. So didn't have sign up again and wait 24/48 hrs.

Also paid for the unlimited SMS, calls and 150 mb for a month for 20. That should last me for 3 more days.

The SIM cards had a 2.00 credit on there from last time. Which is what was left before we left Paris in October.
Old May 10, 2013, 05:20 PM   #32
joelski
macrumors newbie

Exclamation AT&T iphone 5

Do i just simply switch out the sim or do i have to have AT&T do it for me? in other words, what are the beginning steps I have to take here in the states b4 i travel to Europe?

Thanks
joelski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 06:27 PM   #33
ECJ
macrumors regular

For your AT&T iPhone 5, if its unlocked you can switch it the SIM card with no issues.

If its not unlocked, you have two options. Ask AT&T to unlock it or check a unlocking service to get it down. Then you can proceed to swap to a prepaid SIM while you are overseas.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone