Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
If you're using a Seagate "GoFlex" series, It offers the Software from Paragon at no cost. You may be able to borrow a Seagate GoFlex series and then just download the program from the Seagate site. Works great, I did it with no problem and it worked with my other Seagate (Non GoFlex) without any problems. Here's the link.

http://www.seagate.com/support/exte...ives/goflex/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

Thanks for that information! :)

I have a couple of GoFlex drives which came with NTFS on them and didn't realize you could get the free Paragon software (I had already formatted one of them HFS+ without checking). I may keep them formatted for the Mac, but I do have Windows machines and often need to work with NTFS disks.

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Here is a commercial about the network and how the Mac speaks the new Japanese digital camera's language.

The commercial's words were:

"Everything just kind of works with a Mac". Would seem that Apple was making that claim.
That's exactly my point about drivers being missing on Windows, and the same devices "just working" on a Mac, which is the point of the ad. Having drivers installed for various devices is quite different from reading and writing to other drive formats, which is the topic of this thread. Apple never claimed it would read/write all available drive formats natively, and no other OS can do that, either.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
That's exactly my point about drivers being missing on Windows, and the same devices "just working" on a Mac, which is the point of the ad. Having drivers installed for various devices is quite different from reading and writing to other drive formats, which is the topic of this thread. Apple never claimed it would read/write all available drive formats natively, and no other OS can do that, either.

No, Apple's claim they were making in the commercial was that "everything works", not "everything works just as long as it is an Apple product".

To the newbie, after seeing that commercial, they would not understand the Apple ecosystem when they plugged in their NTFS formatted external drive into their new Macbook and it didn't magically work.

Do more things work on OS X than Windows, probably, but after owning a MBA, I do see that OS X "just works" claim is not true.

----------

If you're using a Seagate "GoFlex" series, It offers the Software from Paragon at no cost. You may be able to borrow a Seagate GoFlex series and then just download the program from the Seagate site. Works great, I did it with no problem and it worked with my other Seagate (Non GoFlex) without any problems. Here's the link.

http://www.seagate.com/support/exte...ives/goflex/ntfs-driver-for-mac-os-master-dl/

Excellent, I have a Seagate GoFlex drive I use as a NAS on my router. I will have to download it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, Apple's claim they were making in the commercial was that "everything works", not "everything works just as long as it is an Apple product".
As the campaign served to illustrate the difference between the experience of Windows users vs Mac users, it's not expected that bringing parts of the Windows experience to the Mac would "just work". The point is that using a Mac (which includes HFS+ as its native format) would be better than using Windows (which includes NTFS as its native format). There is no suggestion that bringing Windows components, apps or formats to the Mac would "just work".

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
As an ex-IT guy, I summon the "Hey, if we made it *that* easy for you, why we'd out of a job!" :)

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
As I recall, Microsoft originally refused to release the specs for NTFS to prevent anyone from writing (guaranteed compatible) that format. I assume they also had some legal clout in place to prevent anyone like Apple from incorporating that technology into their commercial operating system.

This may still be in place, which makes me wonder how the companies like Paragon can get away will selling the "reverse-engineered" drivers.

Reactions: old-wiz

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
As I recall, Microsoft originally refused to release the specs for NTFS

Doesn't sound right. Feels more like Apple saying "our stuff is the best, we don't want you to attach any ****** to our stuff."

If u ever worked for IBM mainframe, everybody wanted to go in bed with them, but if you called IBM and ask "how come my brand xyz printer doesn't work with the computer, IBM would disavow any knowledge of brand xyz equipment!

rajdev

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
Unable to copy files to an external HDD

Can't use Drag an Drop on 2 external hard disk drives in Mac

So Please Help me

Tapendra Singh

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2016
Sir,I also get the same problems whenever, i share my PC file with an any external device _.I received a message--------------------- ""YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION TO ACCESS THIS FILE""?????

IF ANYONE KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM,,,_ PLZ SEND IT TO MY E- MAIL ID---++++++ tapendrasingh66@gmail.com
[doublepost=1454898855][/doublepost]Sir,I also get the same problems whenever, i share my PC file with an any external device _.I received a message--------------------- ""YOU DON'T HAVE PERMISSION TO ACCESS THIS FILE""?????

I HAVE WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

IF ANYONE KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM,,,_ PLZ SEND IT TO MY E- MAIL ID---++++++ tapendrasingh66@gmail.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.