Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:59 PM   #26
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
Back on topic, the only reason I personally would say that they are a bad company is because of how they mistreat their employees, mainly software developers.
Or their consumers. Any EA game requires a ton of extra DLC purchases to play the full game, or things like always on servers.

Both bad trends in my opinion.

DLC initially sounded great, having game updates and whatnot for updated rosters, etc

However, it is now a way to have you unlock cars, characters that should have been included in the original 60 buck game price and a reason to release buggy software that they just end up patching to make useable
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:02 PM   #27
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
As I'd prefer you not derail this thread and make it off-topic, do you have anything to contribute regarding the main post?
That's nice. I'd prefer you tone it down with your rhetoric. He had every right to call you out. We're about facts in here, not who posts the most.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:04 PM   #28
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
That's nice. I'd prefer you tone it down with your rhetoric. He had every right to call you out. We're about facts in here, not who posts the most.
Facts.

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:05 PM   #29
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
As I'd prefer you not derail this thread and make it off-topic, do you have anything to contribute regarding the main post?
So it is ok if you derail other peoples threads but you don't want yours derailed?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:06 PM   #30
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
So it is ok if you derail other peoples threads but you don't want yours derailed?
Can you provide a source for that?

Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:08 PM   #31
CalWizrd
macrumors 6502

Hmmm. I suspect that most of the active members of this forum are coming to the same conclusion...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:10 PM   #32
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
Can you provide a source for that?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...05&postcount=6

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWizrd View Post
Hmmm. I suspect that most of the active members of this forum are coming to the same conclusion...
This place goes through phases, we seem to be in another teething phase.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:12 PM   #33
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...05&postcount=6

----------

This place goes through phases, we seem to be in another teething phase.
In the post you linked, you asked a question and I replied with an answer. Perfectly on-topic.

Now to keep this thread on topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedM View Post
Just because Peter Moore, the moron of a COO, says something doesn't mean it is true. The reality it comes down to is people hate EA, and EA treats people like ****. Sure there are worse companies, but EA does deserve this award. Do you think exxon mobile would give a **** if they won? Probably not, but it sure is funny to hear EA bitch.
I agree that EA is definitely not the worst company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
Or their consumers. Any EA game requires a ton of extra DLC purchases to play the full game, or things like always on servers.

Both bad trends in my opinion.

DLC initially sounded great, having game updates and whatnot for updated rosters, etc

However, it is now a way to have you unlock cars, characters that should have been included in the original 60 buck game price and a reason to release buggy software that they just end up patching to make useable
I agree.

Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:47 AM   #34
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Forgive me, but how does someone tell if a computer game character is LGBT?
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:55 AM   #35
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Things like this are hard to prove, but it's definitely doable.

If so, it's absurd.

Although I'd have to admit, there's slightly more insane things like Chic-Fil-A supporting killing gays and treating them second-class citizens.
When did chick fil a support killing gays?

All they have ever officially said is they only support normal marriages. The guys a Christian for God's sake! It's against his religion, the man is passionate about his religion. Expecting him to endorse same sex marriage is like expecting a Muslim to tell you how great pork is! He never said anything about killing gays, Discriminating against them (in fact, TONS OF THEM work there!), or anything else. He simply said he doesn't support gay marriage. He doesn't support incest either, should we grab the pitch forks?

That crazy lady where I used to live was right, standing up for the word of God is about to be considered wrong.
thehustleman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:59 AM   #36
eric/

EA was voted worst company because of bad games, and bad business practices. Loading new releases up with so much DRM that people are frustrated trying to play.
eric/ is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:05 AM   #37
thehustleman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
EA was voted worst company because of bad games, and bad business practices. Loading new releases up with so much DRM that people are frustrated trying to play.
Now THAT is a reason
thehustleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:37 AM   #38
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Kind of funny that an entertainment company would get the award when we have so many other sleezy banks running the taxpayer down.
Zombie Acorn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #39
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
Kind of funny that an entertainment company would get the award when we have so many other sleezy banks running the taxpayer down.
Much of it is just PR. I wouldn't read too far into it. Trying to determine who is the worst is kind of pointless anyway.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:17 PM   #40
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

EA.. oh man EA. I don't think EA should have gotten the title for worst company in the world. Far more sleezy banks, environment wrecking energy companies and scummy insurance cons out there. Worst company in the entertainment sector... maybe. However I feel it is kind of a toss up between Activision Blizzard and EA. What irks me about EA is they are just bad (see below). Yet, they know they have this bad stigma but hey they are pushing for gay rights, women's rights and moving society forward. So you know what... ignore their mediocre games, business decisions and poor internal culture. They are in it for humanity! /s Everytime they get bad press they always seems to try and smother it with how "progressive" they or their games are. Its just a curtain of foul smelling fecal matter shrouding how horrible they are.

Anyways, I figured I would take this moment to hop on a soapbox and just rant about them. Having dealt with them as a gamer and through friends/family in the industry I have a bit of a sore spot for them so here goes!

1. EA treats their employees like crap. Long hours, unpaid overtime, cancelled time off and a slave pit like environment. New fresh graduates have no idea what they are getting into and there is little to no veteran developers. They just churn newbies because that is all they can get due to their bad reputation. They also buy studios out for IP and sometimes (rarely) talent, run them into the ground with franchise branching... shuffle a few people around and close the studio down when the revenue stream becomes compromised.

2. EA likes to take every possible opportunity to milk customer wallets. I understand making money but EA has perfected the wallet drain to an artform. Day 1 DLC, online systems to force you into buying DLC or you cannot enjoy multiplayer, cash shops in paid titles, that $60 console license pricing for PC games (Where does that $10 dollar license fee go... PC users do not buy subsidized hardware), a 2 year pipeline of DLC pushing the count into the double digits... and when the DLC cash stops rolling in the Premium/Season Pass version comes out. Just a big slap in the face for consumers who shelled out for DLC on its release.

3. Origin... oh man Origin. Now I normally do not mind these sort of platforms. I mean Steam is excellent and has an offline mode. Origin however does not, and it allegedly does some suspicious activity on your PC. But the thing that absolutely chips me off was the fact that EA's former CEO said Origin was about choice. He didn't want Steam to have a monopoly on Digital download platforms (Even though there were other choices). No it was about getting rid of the fee they pay to Valve. To make matters worse their games became Origin exclusive. But hey, according to Ricitello it was all for the consumer!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
Forgive me, but how does someone tell if a computer game character is LGBT?
EA games have this habit where they try to shove it in your face so you know how "progressive" they are and how they push the envelope.

Last edited by TheHateMachine; Apr 15, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:18 PM   #41
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

As long as there is Foxconn, EA cannot be the worst company.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:34 PM   #42
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
I know - Companies that do things such as wreck the environment have an effect on you and the world wether you like it or not. EA sells video games to people. You don't have to buy their games. And since they're so so terrible, why are people still buying them? It's not like video games are essential services like water and electricity...
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:34 PM   #43
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

They are a game company. Who cares? If your life revolves around political-correctness in a computer GAME.... then it's time to reassess ones life.
DesterWallaboo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues