Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
so how do i use the cmyk feature and save jpegs to cmyk? i tried through view > generic or ps5 cmyk and then saved as jpeg, but it opens as rgb in photoshop cs4.
JPEG does not support CMYK. Only RGB/YUV. YUV is the internal color space in the JPEG-format. Use the TIFF or EPS-format, if you need CMYK support.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Yup. What's up with the Adobe hate amongst the hardcore Apple crowd? Ole Steve got into a spat with them over Flash, and now suddenly whole loads of people have been programmed to think of them as "The Enemy".

...why?

Not sure everyone who wants an Adobe-free system thinks of them as the enemy. My photo-workflow is entirely Adobe-free but that's because I use several RAW processors (depending on what I'm doing) and don't do a lot of heavy image processing except for sharpening, contrast, etc. Nothing that one of my existing programs or plugins can't handle.

I find Adobe's software to be bloated and overkill, given what I do with images. Functionality-wise, Adobe is hard to beat in one package, but I have been glad to find alternatives out there, and Pixelmator holds a lot of promise (and works great even now).

Renzatic

Suspended

That's an entirely justifiable reason to be "adobe free". You're right, Photoshop and Illustrator are overkill for most people, and there are plenty of great alternatives that'd serve them just as well. I've only barely played with Pixelmator, but looking at the feature sheet shows me it covers just about everything your average photographer would need out of PS. Why buy it when you can get something that's just as good for you for far, far less?

My issue is with the people who started hating Adobe around the time the Flash debacle started. That smacks of stupid internet tribal BS to me.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Some of the remarks make it seem like it has to be an either/or between Pixelmator and PhotoShop, why not use both? They're tools. I can't see only having one kind of saw or screwdriver...

Pixelmator is terrific and only $30, it's not a life and death situation like paying $700 for Photoshop would be to me.

4D4M

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2005
Broken Britain
Yup. What's up with the Adobe hate amongst the hardcore Apple crowd? Ole Steve got into a spat with them over Flash, and now suddenly whole loads of people have been programmed to think of them as "The Enemy".

...why?

For me it has nothing to do with the Flash problem. As a veteran user I can concede that nothing out there can touch Adobe CS for power, features and all-round capability. But I find the frequent crashing and bugs that persist through successive versions completely unacceptable in software that costs this much.

They should spend more time fixing this instead of adding limited interest bloat like video editing to Photoshop.

I'm not too happy about their attempt to push everyone onto a subscription model either. Plain greedy.

Murgatroyd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Staten Island, New Yawk
Thanks, but unfortunately it's EPS export that I need :(

GraphicConverter is shareware. Save As … to almost any file format.

saving_esp_file_MacRumor.png

Yup. Great app. **:rolleyes:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Pixelmator has been pretty outstanding for me. Stable, feature rich for my needs, which are mostly mild photo editing and some graphic design for application/web icons/widgets/UI elements.

I scored it when it was $14.95, and for _that_ price, it's an incredible value. Good too see the developer is still pushing some major updates out too.

:cool:

Renzatic

Suspended
For me it has nothing to do with the Flash problem. As a veteran user I can concede that nothing out there can touch Adobe CS for power, features and all-round capability. But I find the frequent crashing and bugs that persist through successive versions completely unacceptable in software that costs this much.

They should spend more time fixing this instead of adding limited interest bloat like video editing to Photoshop.

Yeah, PS has gotten a little bloated over the years, and it does install far more than what I generally need, but one thing I can't say is that it's buggy or crashy. It's always been a solid, reliable piece of software for me. I think I've seen it crash all of twice over the years I've been using it.

Then again, if you're a professional user, you might be pushing it a little harder than I am. I can get pretty complicated with my layer stacks, but I usually only deal with resolutions between 1024x - 2048x, and never touch CMYK.

I'm not too happy about their attempt to push everyone onto a subscription model either. Plain greedy.

Everyone's doing that these days. I don't like it either. : \

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Long overdue feature, but it still won't replace Photoshop in any design studio.

Larger studios tend to be very conservative on software. They use what they know. They test upgrades prior to installing them on everything. It would be potentially very disruptive moving away from Adobe.

]

Everyone's doing that these days. I don't like it either. : \

They learned from autodesk:mad:. Well Autodesk and some of the others are a little different. It's still whatever purchase cost, and an annual subscription fee is added to that to keep whatever software up to date and upgrade eligible. Adobe's subscription fees are kind of high if you have already own licenses from prior versions. It used to be that you had up to 3 versions to upgrade. If it was a bad release, you could skip it. Currently the annual fee for a given application is more than it used to cost upgrading every version. I kind of wonder if they'll back off on it a bit.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Bring on the non destructive layer styles!

I really just need drop shadows and some effects to make text jump off of the background. This takes forever to do without layer styles.

yep pretty much. the thing is, pixelmator is supposed to be this simplified photo/graphics editing program but its actually really bad at doing the actual simple things (like editable drop shadows etc)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Bring on the non destructive layer styles!

I really just need drop shadows and some effects to make text jump off of the background. This takes forever to do without layer styles.

Oh crud, I have a Drop Shadow quartz filter in Effects, it was easy & adjustable. Just tried it out and it doesn't work any longer. :( Well, fingers crossed, perhaps it's back in the next update. Not too big a deal for me at this time, using an extra layer -blurred.

--------

I used Quartz Composer/Parameters to delete the Preview icon and the drop shadow plug-in works as it should again. Went through a bunch of third-party quartz filters recently to delete the preview icons and they are all working properly now. :)

Last edited:

hestroy

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011

...why?

Because of their greedy price policy? Because they want thousands of USD every year for nothing but compatibility?

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Because of their greedy price policy? Because they want thousands of USD every year for nothing but compatibility?

Fair enough, but I hope you realize you're replying to a post made long before the mandatory Creative Cloud announcement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.