Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:34 PM   #1
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Can't get playlist out of folder?

OK. This might be a dumb question... and i know i can just start over, but i'm frustrated.

I created a folder called "audiobooks" and threw them all in there. This was before i found out my 5g Video iPod doesn't support folders.

Well, some of the audiobooks are syncing... some aren't.... and i can't drag them OUT of the folder i drug them into.

Is this a bug in iTunes? Just something dumb on my part... or what?!

Here is a screen shot of what is in the Playlist folder, then what ones transfer to the iPod.

Hmmm, i was wondering if it was an Audible problem, but ti's not giving me an error either - saying they can't be moved because they aren't authorized.

Anyway, i'm stuck, and on my way out the door... without the new audiobooks. I guess when i get back home tonight i'll rip it all apart and see if they fix. THis iPod is dying - and i think the drive might be going too....

OK, maybe it IS an audible problem. The ones that aren't going on there... have a type of Audible, and the one that is working says, protected aac. Must dig into this later then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 197.png
Views:	14
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	196576  
Attached Images

TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 03:52 PM   #2
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

OK, i *think* i figured this out.

I do think the folder is working - but only the book i got on iTunes was showing up. So sure enough, Audible wasn't registered. I'm hoping this means that at least the books will go over...

I still can't get them OUT of the playlist folder, but hey, as long as they move over to the iPod, i'm happy! Off to check the sync!
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 03:55 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Generally speaking, to remove something from a playlist, either highlight it and press the delete key or right-click and delete the item. It doesn't delete it from your library or hard drive.... it only deletes it from the playlist.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:19 PM   #4
HBOC
macrumors 68020

^^

This is true. iTunes doesn't move the MP3 file from the main library to a playlist, so to speak. It just makes a copy of the file into whatever playlist you want it in. This is the same as dragging the file from the main library to your desktop, it will make a duplicate.

So you would just right click and then select delete. It will just delete the copied file.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBOC View Post
... It just makes a copy of the file into whatever playlist you want it in. ...
Actually, it doesn't create a copy. It only creates a link to the file, similar in concept to an alias in Finder.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
HBOC
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Actually, it doesn't create a copy. It only creates a link to the file, similar in concept to an alias in Finder.
aha, i guess that would make since, as it would unnecessarily increase the size of iTunes Never thought of that..eh

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod