Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
So, I have a tri-level house where the internet/cable comes through in the basement, which is half-underground and brick wall-ed on the side. In that basement is my home theater system which contains a receiver, a ps3, a 360, an apple TV, and a satellite receiver. This is all networked through my apple airport extreme.

I then learned that my receiver only had wireless capabilities, which meant that I needed the $100 adapter. Instead of purchasing that, I bought an Airport Express (2011) (comes tomorrow), which I plan on connecting to my extreme and running a short ethernet cable from the express and to the receiver.

Now, caddy corner, and one level up from that room is my office (30ft away; 3/4 signal), which contains my iMac and an old 360 that I recently refurbished and plan on plugging into the monitor. The 360 has no wireless adapter. Can I use my express as an adapter for my 360 (using the ethernet port), and can it run as a repeater for my iMac in that same mode?

I searched the forums, but couldn't find this exact question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes... when you set it up you will be asked if you want to "join another network" or "extend an existing" network. Pick extend.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
Yes... when you set it up you will be asked if you want to "join another network" or "extend an existing" network. Pick extend.

I don't believe you can extend and use the ethernet.

My understanding is that the Ethernet will only work in Join mode when you want it to connect to another device.

This is how I have mine set up.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012

My understanding is that the Ethernet will only work in Join mode when you want it to connect to another device.

I tried getting this set up to work on my 360, and separately with a Windows machine. I'm not extremely versed in networking, so I have no idea what I'm missing. The main settings I've interchaned are join vs extend network...bridge (on vs off).

Anyone have any advice? I can't find anything relevant via google.

kgs

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I tried getting this set up to work on my 360, and separately with a Windows machine. I'm not extremely versed in networking, so I have no idea what I'm missing. The main settings I've interchaned are join vs extend network...bridge (on vs off).

Anyone have any advice? I can't find anything relevant via google.

All you must do is tell it to join an existing network, then I believe there is a setting that enables the ethernet connection.

Just plug the XBox into the ethernet port and it should connect right up.

I recall it taking approximately 30 seconds from start to finish to get it set up.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
All you must do is tell it to join an existing network, then I believe there is a setting that enables the ethernet connection.

Just plug the XBox into the ethernet port and it should connect right up.

I recall it taking approximately 30 seconds from start to finish to get it set up.

I didn't see the setting you were talking about, as the Ethernet still isn't working. I can see the Express on my network, but it's not passing internet through the ethernet cable.

Is there a setting I need to change in the extreme and/or modem? I'm feeling pretty inept, here.

FrancoisC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
Montreal, Qc

Yes you can extend and connect, that's what I do.

I have an extreme in my home office, and in the living room I have the express in extend mode with an 8 port switch connected to it, to which I connected my xbox, my receiver, my tv, etc... Everything work just fine :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.