Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
so are you looking for a HD as per the thread title....or software apps (that do what?)?

hardware, i thought that was obvious, sorry if it wasn't.

EDIT
haha i just read my original post. I am so sorry for stating apps I had two tabs open and my mind was elsewhere

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I like Seagate Goflex drives too, mainly because of the variety of interface options.

I did have a 2.5 1tb die on me yesterday though. To be fair, it was probably my fault.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Another vote for Seagate.
I have a GoFlex, but the regular desktop version. It will say on their forums it won't work for Mac bla bla bla. In 3 seconds (or maybe 2) I got it running on OS X so maybe I'm a wizard :rolleyes:
So no need to pay the extra 30 or 40 bucks for their "Mac Version" or whatever it's called.

Also I'm using that drive along a Western Digital (Green one?), but I don't trust WD anymore as I got 2 of them fail on me last year.

But to be fair, all harddrives can fail no matter what so make backups, bla bla (you know the drill).

So basically I'm telling you Seagate makes me wet, just because I'm on a personal vendetta against WD, but there are people doing it au contraire.

Oh and last but not least those two drives (WD and Seagate) are the cheapest you can get nowadays. I personally distrust other companies for nothing more than "Ohhh they seem chinese" reason, but that's as cheap as it gets. I haven't looked up prices as of lately but I'm guessing the 3TB USB run for about 150 nowadays (they used to be 100, but blame mother nature and the asian floods for that).

I have the GoFlex 3 TB BTW, and also the WD is a 3 TB one.

ray648

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
I have two 2tb buffalo drivestations that I have been using for the last year. They were the cheapest usb drives I could find with this capacity at the time, and I've had no problems with them at all.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I have two 2tb buffalo drivestations that I have been using for the last year. They were the cheapest usb drives I could find with this capacity at the time, and I've had no problems with them at all.

I just got one today from Staples, on sale for 80 or 85 bucks for 2gb.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
check the external drives area in Newegg for both reviews and prices. Hard to find a better source of info and cheap prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.