Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:43 AM   #26
zerind
macrumors member

Bought one for my mother who hasn't ever bothered learning the computer as a gift too. She gets the idea after sitting down with her and showing her a few things but I bought this book called iPad for Seniors from Amazon for her as well which she's found HUGELY helpful as a reference guide. It's a fantastic book which shows them step by step in big pictures and easy to understand instructions/symbols how to do things.

http://www.amazon.com/iPad-Seniors-S.../dp/9059051084
zerind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:38 AM   #27
Megalobyte
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHawks10 View Post

That's just the start of the iPad. Her computer still runs windows Vista, so we are trying to steer her to just the ipad. .
Don't be too hard on her, NOBODY can get Vista to work.
Megalobyte is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:51 AM   #28
mantan
macrumors 6502a

And be patient. Not matter how tech savvy you think you are, you will likely be in the same point with your frustrated grandkids one day. ;-)

I remember my dad was always on the cutting edge of computers and technology. He even owned a business that built/fixed computers as a hobby after he retired.

But in his later years simple things started to elude him. I remember him asking me to help help figure out why he couldn't get his iPhone to work the way he wanted. Or get the Blue Ray to work. It seemed at some point technology kept evolving and he wasn't up for it anymore.

He always told me 'getting old sucks.....'
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:52 AM   #29
j.dstasio
macrumors 6502

I wish you the best of luck!

I am convinced an iPad would be more use to my mother than her laptop. I have a hard time considering her a "senior", but at 65, I guess she is. Over the years I have become the primary means of tech support for my parents & it has not been easy. I think the hardest time was when my mom stopped using AOL as an ISP. Migrating her from AOL mail & keywords to an actual web browser & email client was really hard on all of us. Since then, I have managed to keep their laptops and a wi-fi router running.

My mom primarily uses her laptop for email, sending/ receiving pictures with family, internet searching, checking weather, and reading news articles. She get confused with computer file systems & is always afraid she will screw something up or delete the wrong thing. I think an iPad would put her more at ease and she would get more out of it if she wasn't a nervous wreck every time she turns it on.

One thing she dislikes about using her laptop is the big ordeal caused by getting it out to use it for something quick. She will avoid doing quick tasks like pulling up a photo, looking up a recipe, or sending an email simply because she doesn't want the hassle of getting the laptop, waiting for it to boot up, shutting it down when she's done, etc... I think if she could just pull an iPad out and use it right away without all of the waiting, she would get more out of the internet & technology in general.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:57 PM   #30
bevsb2
macrumors 6502

Grandpa's iPad:

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=33329

Last edited by bevsb2; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added info
bevsb2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:28 AM   #31
Geekbabe
macrumors 6502

I am almost 56 & consider myself very technology proficient. The beauty of ipad for seniors (and anyone really) is how intuitive it is to use. Remember that Success builds upon success when helping elderly relatives, as each time they can get the ipad to perform a function they will begin to feel more and more confident! Stress the point that this device is meant to be fun, a tool that will let them explore the world from the comfort of their living room.

They don't have to learn everything in one day, ipad will be there, ready & waiting each time they want to try something new. The only other thing I would recommend is to help them set up accounts here & on other end user forums. Also teach them how to effectively use Google, there isn't a single ipad question I haven't been able to get an answer to by using Google or these forums. From what I've seen Macrumors is quite welcoming to Apple newbies, your senior citizen will get info & most likely make a friend or two online in the process. Most elderly people I've helped are amazed at the sheer number of online support forums of various types & getting them acquainted with how to register & post can really be life changing for them.
Geekbabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:38 AM   #32
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

whenever you buy an iPad for someone that's not.. apple centric it's customary to help them set it up and tell them how to do basic features, like split keyboard, camera, download apps, the usual. They will find out stuff on their own but you have to help them with basic use for a few days.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:29 AM   #33
imlynxy
macrumors regular

Bought my mom Ipad 3. 2 days and this is her best friend now.
imlynxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:51 AM   #34
Recon73
macrumors newbie

I bought my dad who is in mid 70's a iPad last Christmas. He loves it, the only thing I had to do was set it up and just show basics on it's use. He is total pro with it now. And it is always within reach. Like others said I was the tech support for his PC which was a nightmare. With Ipad I had zero issues with him. iPads in my opinion are perfect for seniors and people hesitant with technology.
Recon73 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad