Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
I have a 2010 2.66 GHz Dual Core i7 17inch Macbook pro 1920x1200 Glossy
with 8 GB Ram 1067MHz DDR3 and a Samsung 470 SSD 256 GB + a Seagate Momentous XT 512 GB Hybrid Drive in the Optical Drive Spot

Nvidia Geforce GT 330M 512 MB Graphics

I was considering selling it to upgrade to a Retina Macbook Pro, I was wondering if someone would be able to give me a ball park figure for what I should reasonably be expecting for this laptop.

Thanks!

As for condition everything works fine, just have a few blemishes on the bottom case.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Mac2Sell gave me a quote of around $1840, how reliable is it?

I don't see many Mac pro's similar to mine on eBay, and the ones that are there have prices that are pretty much all over the board.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
I've sold a number of computers on eBay, and it's actually easier to let the market determine the value of your computer. I usually first pick a "Buy It Now" price that would be phenomenal, and then set the bidding price very low to garner attention.

It's a little scary until the last two days or so and then suddenly the bids start rolling in.

Value is obviously subjective, so you may get more or less than whatever website will tell you your computer is worth.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say.....

between $1200-1400. Good care of the machine, AppleCare (if any) and no functional or cosmetic issues can help in the price.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees.

:):apple:

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
between $1200-1400. Good care of the machine, AppleCare (if any) and no functional or cosmetic issues can help in the price.

If selling through an online site, factor in shipping costs/fees.

:):apple:

Thanks

I've taken good care of my laptop there are no dents in it, a couple nicks and a scratch on the bottom plate though. I have the original box and upgraded the ram and hard drives. $1400 sounds more like the ball park I thought it would be since I bought this about 3 years ago, would have guessed $1500 without any research. still hoping to get more, just contemplating whether I should finally cave and get a Retina 15 though since it seems a 17 is not in the cards ... and I could really use the performance boost.

Also in regards to selling it would it be a problem if I offered to give final cut pro x to whoever bought it. I purchased it through my Apple ID on the App Store along with Motion and Compressor but I have been able to install it on multiple machines by just logging into the app store.

Last edited:

KBS756

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2009
Also in regards to selling it would it be a problem if I offered to give final cut pro x to whoever bought it. I purchased it through my Apple ID on the App Store along with Motion and Compressor but I have been able to install it on multiple machines by just logging into the app store.

Can someone please answer that, and if so does it add any value?

Thanks!

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV

Can someone please answer that, and if so does it add any value?

Thanks!

I don't think (but please do not quote me) that the license is transferrable technically speaking, unless you gave them your whole Apple ID but even then I don't think that it's "legal".

I don't know for sure but I am guessing the software would not add much if any value. The people that really need it already have it or are willing to buy it, the people that just fool around with it are willing to pirate it. I don't think it would be any determining factor but hey maybe one buyer would come across it and pick yours because of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.