Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:07 PM   #51
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
But people who jail break IOS never do so to pirate software ? That's what I keep hearing.
Not everybody it seems. Just like the myth of 'average consumers' not jailbreaking. They do. Usually for free apps.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:33 PM   #52
Namjins
macrumors member

Saying that the app is overpriced doesn't justify theft. If I used that same logic, I'd just steal everything that wasn't covered by my income.
Namjins is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #53
MondayNgt
macrumors member

It's kind of amusing (on video game sites, particularly) the amount of whining and rationalizing that is going on with game piracy. My favorite one is "the developer released the game for free on torrents, so it's not piracy." Uh, yes it is. The developer set a price on their game, and unless the official price becomes $0, if you are hitting the torrent or whatnot because you don't want to pay the price, you are still pirating with intent to do so. It's like being busted in a sting operation, even if it was the police all along, you were still trying to do something wrong.

What the developer is doing with the 'pirated' version reminds me of the whole 'cuckoo egg' tactic on Napster years back with rigged music files. Not that it will combat piracy, but it's going to happen anyway, hard to stop, and the developer might as well use the pirates to have their fun (and more importantly, publicity) out of the whole thing.
MondayNgt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion