Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
I'm a new iPod user and I'm having a lot of trouble coordinating with iTunes.
i'm more interested in audio books than music but I can seem to get the files from iTunes to my iPod.

I downloaded some audiobooks to "Books" on iTunes but when i try to synch, the options are grayed out.

How do i create a "Books" icon on my iPod

I know this is basic to you guys but its very confusing to me.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Audio book uses the same format for music files, not ePub (book format).

Have you tried creating a music playlist with your audio book?

Rosina Christen

macrumors member
May 10, 2013
Try going to the App Store and download a free app for a book holder and then go to iTunes and transfer the audio books to the iTunes :) hope that helps!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I'm a new iPod user and I'm having a lot of trouble coordinating with iTunes.
i'm more interested in audio books than music but I can seem to get the files from iTunes to my iPod.

I downloaded some audiobooks to "Books" on iTunes but when i try to synch, the options are grayed out.

How do i create a "Books" icon on my iPod

I know this is basic to you guys but its very confusing to me.

Where are these books from. My guess is that they aren't in the right audio format to play on your iPod where they should be going into the music app under the audiobooks tab (which is under more). This can happen a lot if you get stuff from audible.com etc.

If they came from an online source other than iTunes like audible you likely need to find an app that pairs with that source.
If you got them via importing from CDs yourself they probably aren't in books but in music so you need to change the code yourself (select the tracks, go to info under the file menu and in options change the pop up from music to audiobook)
If you got them via something like bit torrent that gets tricky cause you need to know what file type they are, might have to get into finding a converter etc.

If they came via iTunes you might need to authorize your computer via the store menu. If that doesn't work, you'll have to ask Apple either by making an appointment at a store, calling phone support, online chat etc

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Reviews are terrible. Are you using it? What do you think? I fear it might just make the situation worse.

It's free so it's worth giving it a shot. I prefer it for listening over iTunes. You can download straight to it without syncing with iTunes, which is huge for me. I mostly listen to audiobooks and podcasts and am so glad I don't have to load via iTunes anymore. I can't see how it will make the situation worse, as it works independent of iTunes. Just download in the app and enjoy. You can even customize the playback controls a bit. Give it a try.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
It's free so it's worth giving it a shot. I prefer it for listening over iTunes. You can download straight to it without syncing with iTunes, which is huge for me. I mostly listen to audiobooks and podcasts and am so glad I don't have to load via iTunes anymore. I can't see how it will make the situation worse, as it works independent of iTunes. Just download in the app and enjoy. You can even customize the playback controls a bit. Give it a try.

Hmm. The problem here (at least for em) is that my iPod doesn't show up as an independent drive on my desktop when I connect. So my only path to the iPod has been through iTunes (which i dislike intensely). The iPod doesn't show up in Disk Utility or on my Finder sidebar. Any suggested remedy for this?

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Reviews are terrible. Are you using it? What do you think? I fear it might just make the situation worse.

Hmm. The problem here (at least for em) is that my iPod doesn't show up as an independent drive on my desktop when I connect. So my only path to the iPod has been through iTunes (which i dislike intensely). The iPod doesn't show up in Disk Utility or on my Finder sidebar. Any suggested remedy for this?

I don't. I was referring to the Audible app. To clarify, by using he Audible app, you can, using wifi, download audiobooks from Audible right onto your touch. I share your distaste for iTunes for syncing/managing my media. Cloud services are making it more and more easy to forego this.

kenglade

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
I don't. I was referring to the Audible app. To clarify, by using he Audible app, you can, using wifi, download audiobooks from Audible right onto your touch. I share your distaste for iTunes for syncing/managing my media. Cloud services are making it more and more easy to forego this.

Thanks, I'll give it a try

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.