Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:47 AM   #476
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Tears. Apparently "principles" are not worth $350 then. The bottom line is that unless you put your money where your mouth is you've got no leg to stand on. Those that don't clearly don't have that much of a problem with the new terms and conditions.
???

By your logic people who don't have $350 in immediately disposable income should just get rid of their phone plan altogether so they can scratch up the cash to break the contract? Good think mobile phone services are still a luxury and not necessary for everyday life </sarcasm>.

inb4 they-bought-an-iphone
larrylaffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:16 PM   #477
binaryspazz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Got my second "top 5%" notice a few days ago. (4 notices if you count the "approaching top 5%" notifications..)

I'm only at 2.8 gb this month, which is less than the highest data package of 5gb.. but that's what pisses me off less...

I actually got limited this time... I can't even pull enough data to get speedtest.net.. ping times are in the 2000's.. (yes I made sure it was data, restarted the phone, etc,etc..simcard swap to another phone...)

This is forcing us off unlimited... it's 100% worthless now... i'm paying twice as much for crippled and truly broken data.

where's the class action lawsuit.. sign me up..
binaryspazz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:05 AM   #478
corncakes
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Manhattan
Dial up is faster.

Called AT&T 7 times to complain about extremely slow speeds. This happened for 3 days following billing date. AT&T did everything to avoid addressing throttling. They insisted it was an Apple issue. Finally they said "a file" would have to be opened on my problem. They connected me to a "special tech" for this purpose. The tech played ignorant until I detailed AT&T's actions re: throttling unlimited users. The tech ACTUALLY ADMITTED that my phone had not been reset upon my billing date on 02/13. She also claimed that AT&T was having difficulty with resetting cycles! Surely there's a lawyer/firm out there interested in this?!
corncakes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 04:51 PM   #479
iDabble
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
throttled again. top 5% when i used 2.1 gb and live in the heart of silicon valley? find that hard to believe.

will be intentionally using as much data as possible until they resolve this issue. leaving netflix or pandora streaming on mute 24/7.

this is completely ridiculous and unethical. is there any legal action that can be taken?
iDabble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:54 PM   #480
Whistle Blower
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Att Mobility CEO Info

I was throttled as soon as I reached 2G. The speed is at a point that I can not use the network. But Att promisses to restore my speed at the beginning of my next billing cycle. How nice! That's not for another 18 days. Ive tried calling the number on the text I received. No help there. What a surprise. So I did some research and contacted some friends on the inside. For those of you who are getting nowhere with customer service maybe this will help.

CEO ATT Wireless: Ralph De La Vega - ralph.delavega@att.com
EVP Mobility Customer Service: Brian Shay- brian.shay@att.com
Phone- (214) 757-5750
Cell - (425) 205-0932

It's time to let these two gentleman how you feel. Time to stop venting on these forums and and do something about it.
Whistle Blower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:15 AM   #481
dmylrea
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
My normal usage (listening to streaming 128K AAC radio while driving or exercising) puts me at about 600MB per week. Except for email and an occasional app, I REALLY FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE that the average smartphone user uses less that 1GB and most are closer to 200-500MB per month!

I know my teen daughters on Verizon use 3-5GB per month. I think the demographic for smart phones falls heavily on younger people. Younger people are more tech-entrenched, yet, only 5% of the total smartphone base uses 2GB or more?

It just doesn't make sense. I'm now trying to calculate my weekly usage so that I don't go over 2GB. I'm putting more music ON my iPhone to listen to. BUT, WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO?? I have UNLIMITED data, for crying out loud!!!

I'll do this for a month or two while pressure on AT&T mounts, hopefully to the point of reversing/revising their throttling plan. 3GB would be a more logical throttling point.

Should I get throttled, I'll be paying the $30 data portion of my bill at my local AT&T store...IN PENNIES. I figure, if they're going to feed me my data bits at a time, I'll pay them for it similarly.
__________________
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Dell Venue Pro 11
iPhone 6 / iPad Mini Retina 128GB
Mac Pro 2009 5,1 Xeon X5670 32GB DDR3-1333 ECC 960GB RAID0 SSD + 4TB w/QHD Display
dmylrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:44 AM   #482
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: "Armpit of the South"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmylrea View Post

Should I get throttled, I'll be paying the $30 data portion of my bill at my local AT&T store...IN PENNIES. I figure, if they're going to feed me my data bits at a time, I'll pay them for it similarly.
I love it! Please film this if you do it! Would make great YouTube fodder.
__________________
~Traveling around the world beating on various objects, and getting paid to do it!~
drummingcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:10 AM   #483
Pumapayam
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle Blower View Post
I was throttled as soon as I reached 2G. The speed is at a point that I can not use the network. But Att promisses to restore my speed at the beginning of my next billing cycle. How nice! That's not for another 18 days. Ive tried calling the number on the text I received. No help there. What a surprise. So I did some research and contacted some friends on the inside. For those of you who are getting nowhere with customer service maybe this will help.

CEO ATT Wireless: Ralph De La Vega - ralph.delavega@att.com
EVP Mobility Customer Service: Brian Shay- brian.shay@att.com
Phone- (214) 757-5750
Cell - (425) 205-0932

It's time to let these two gentleman how you feel. Time to stop venting on these forums and and do something about it.
I emailed both emails, and got a call from what I assume is someone close to them from a Bothell, WA number.

She is supposed to call me back today or tomorrow with my concerns.

About time.
__________________
Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz (Nehalem) 27" LED Cinema Display Magic Mouse & Trackpad Late 2009 Time Capsule iPhone 5s iPad Air 2
Pumapayam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:58 AM   #484
Raftysworld
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
A couple observations:

1) It is to everyone's advantage that once they approach or hit the throttling limit, to use as much data as possible for the remainder of the period. AT&T is squeezing customers out of unlimited because the more that throttling kicks in, the less data it will take to reach the top 5%*(see below). BUT, rather than stream netflix, use an app that UPLOADS lots of data. The upload speeds are not being throttled for most people. One way to do this is to get the Google+ app, turn on the new instant upload feature, and take as many pictures as you can.

2) The top 5% is obviously a lie. Smartphones have rapidly taken over the cell phone market, data-hogging apps are becoming more and more popular, more browsing and usage is being done on smartphones rather than computers, etc. Even in a given year, this trend can be seen. And yet, the 5% window has not shifted to a higher data cap. Why?
Raftysworld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:12 PM   #485
butterfly0fdoom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Camp Snoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
A couple observations:

1) It is to everyone's advantage that once they approach or hit the throttling limit, to use as much data as possible for the remainder of the period. AT&T is squeezing customers out of unlimited because the more that throttling kicks in, the less data it will take to reach the top 5%*(see below). BUT, rather than stream netflix, use an app that UPLOADS lots of data. The upload speeds are not being throttled for most people. One way to do this is to get the Google+ app, turn on the new instant upload feature, and take as many pictures as you can.

2) The top 5% is obviously a lie. Smartphones have rapidly taken over the cell phone market, data-hogging apps are becoming more and more popular, more browsing and usage is being done on smartphones rather than computers, etc. Even in a given year, this trend can be seen. And yet, the 5% window has not shifted to a higher data cap. Why?
1) Phone upload speeds are already slower than download speeds by nature; the hardware limitation is a built-in throttler.

2) For ever person that complains on the internet about being throttled, 19 don't notice the problem ever. The most data-hogging apps are the ones that involve streaming; the modern average smartphone customer isn't likely to be using such apps heavily. The typical iPhone user in reality is one who bought one because it's an iDevice and not necessarily for its data capabilities, while the typical consumer in reality buys whatever is free on contract, a category that is becoming increasingly dominated by low-end smartphones. The most data-intensive things the average consumer uses their smartphones is an occasional video on YouTube, or the occasional email (if they've even set up the email on their phone).

Looking at what throttled users are saying their usage involves (loads of Netflix and Pandora, plenty of tethering, etc.), it's not surprising to see how people can rack up so much data usage.

In addition, I believe they stated the throttling cap is region-based. So for more clustered area like the SFBA and NYC where no only is there a high density of users but a lot of redtape involved in network expansion, the throttling cap would be unsurprisingly more restrictive.
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2.5; MacBook Pro 13" 2.4; iPad 2 3G 64GB; iPod nano 16GB
butterfly0fdoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:20 AM   #486
dmylrea
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
2) For ever person that complains on the internet about being throttled, 19 don't notice the problem ever. The most data-hogging apps are the ones that involve streaming; the modern average smartphone customer isn't likely to be using such apps heavily. The typical iPhone user in reality is one who bought one because it's an iDevice and not necessarily for its data capabilities, while the typical consumer in reality buys whatever is free on contract, a category that is becoming increasingly dominated by low-end smartphones. The most data-intensive things the average consumer uses their smartphones is an occasional video on YouTube, or the occasional email (if they've even set up the email on their phone).

Looking at what throttled users are saying their usage involves (loads of Netflix and Pandora, plenty of tethering, etc.), it's not surprising to see how people can rack up so much data usage.

In addition, I believe they stated the throttling cap is region-based. So for more clustered area like the SFBA and NYC where no only is there a high density of users but a lot of redtape involved in network expansion, the throttling cap would be unsurprisingly more restrictive.
Are these statements your opinion, or do you have some facts to back them up?

No one knows for sure what, exactly, AT&T is doing and whether it is region based or not. They aren't exactly forthcoming with information. What seems to be fact, though, is data usage in the top 5% is much higher than AT&T is purporting, and a study here shows that throttling is a useless practice in lessening data usage. The study shows that in 2011, across the board, data usage in the top 5% was the same whether the user was on an unlimited plan or on a tiered plan, and almost 2x the 2GB AT&T is reporting. As such, AT&T is obviously using these tactics to get their loyal long time customers off unlimited plans.

Seems to me, if AT&T were going to start throttling the top 5%, they would use a figure much higher than 2GB. But then, it probably wouldn't inconvenience as many people enough to get them to switch to a tiered plan.

I just hope this stays in the news long enough for AT&T to feel the pressure and reverse their stupid idea. At least long enough for my contract to expire so I can switch to another carrier. I've lost my faith and trust in AT&T.
__________________
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Dell Venue Pro 11
iPhone 6 / iPad Mini Retina 128GB
Mac Pro 2009 5,1 Xeon X5670 32GB DDR3-1333 ECC 960GB RAID0 SSD + 4TB w/QHD Display
dmylrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:45 PM   #487
butterfly0fdoom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Camp Snoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmylrea View Post
Are these statements your opinion, or do you have some facts to back them up?

No one knows for sure what, exactly, AT&T is doing and whether it is region based or not. They aren't exactly forthcoming with information. What seems to be fact, though, is data usage in the top 5% is much higher than AT&T is purporting, and a study here shows that throttling is a useless practice in lessening data usage. The study shows that in 2011, across the board, data usage in the top 5% was the same whether the user was on an unlimited plan or on a tiered plan, and almost 2x the 2GB AT&T is reporting. As such, AT&T is obviously using these tactics to get their loyal long time customers off unlimited plans.
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/02/a...att-throttling
Quote:
Instead of kicking in once users reach a static 2 GB of monthly traffic (as was previously assumed), AT&T is going the Comcast route, crimping the pipe for a floating target of top five percent per area.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/04/...monthly-usage/
Quote:
It seems that AT&Ts top 5% scheme runs at region-specific basis, as many of users have no throttling complaints even using more than 2GB data.
I've seen anecdotes of people in more remote areas going even up to 10GB before getting throttled.

As far as usage habits are concerned, according to some studies, the average usage last year was 500-600MB. Now, while this average does increase constantly as time goes on, it's indicative that the typical smartphone user doesn't go near 2GB at all, contributing to my notion that the people complaining on the internet in no way represent the typical smartphone user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmylrea View Post
Seems to me, if AT&T were going to start throttling the top 5%, they would use a figure much higher than 2GB. But then, it probably wouldn't inconvenience as many people enough to get them to switch to a tiered plan.
Yes, because AT&T dictates what "5%" is. Now, for all we know, their calculations could be bogus and skewed in their favor. However, given that the people complaining about getting throttled are heavy data users and are generally in the same regions/markets, while I don't intend to defend AT&T, but there's a clear pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmylrea View Post
I just hope this stays in the news long enough for AT&T to feel the pressure and reverse their stupid idea. At least long enough for my contract to expire so I can switch to another carrier. I've lost my faith and trust in AT&T.
And I just want the sensationalist media to shut up for once. I've lost my faith in the media. I just hope everyone that keeps threatening to leave AT&T does it sooner than later so that my data connection is less congested.
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2.5; MacBook Pro 13" 2.4; iPad 2 3G 64GB; iPod nano 16GB
butterfly0fdoom is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:04 PM   #488
dmylrea
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
And I just want the sensationalist media to shut up for once. I've lost my faith in the media. I just hope everyone that keeps threatening to leave AT&T does it sooner than later so that my data connection is less congested.
So, out of curiosity, are you in the top 5% or the bottom 95%? Have you been threatened or actually throttled by AT&T? Are you paying for an unlimited 3G data plan for $30/month from AT&T?

I have no complaints about AT&T service. Where I live, it's great. I couldn't ask for better. Would $20 extra a month for 5GB + tethering break my bank? No. But, some of us have principles, and what AT&T is doing is bullying their loyal long time customers to get out of plans that, in reality, AT&T doesn't want around anymore.

I listen to streaming radio and check email. Run an app or two. WOW!!! I'm a POWER USER!!!! I'm afraid to even use iCloud/iMatch music for fear of going over 2GB. I now live in fear. Thanks AT&T.
__________________
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Dell Venue Pro 11
iPhone 6 / iPad Mini Retina 128GB
Mac Pro 2009 5,1 Xeon X5670 32GB DDR3-1333 ECC 960GB RAID0 SSD + 4TB w/QHD Display
dmylrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:25 PM   #489
butterfly0fdoom
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Camp Snoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmylrea View Post
So, out of curiosity, are you in the top 5% or the bottom 95%? Have you been threatened or actually throttled by AT&T? Are you paying for an unlimited 3G data plan for $30/month from AT&T?

I have no complaints about AT&T service. Where I live, it's great. I couldn't ask for better. Would $20 extra a month for 5GB + tethering break my bank? No. But, some of us have principles, and what AT&T is doing is bullying their loyal long time customers to get out of plans that, in reality, AT&T doesn't want around anymore.

I listen to streaming radio and check email. Run an app or two. WOW!!! I'm a POWER USER!!!! I'm afraid to even use iCloud/iMatch music for fear of going over 2GB. I now live in fear. Thanks AT&T.
I have an unlocked phone running on the dumbphone data plan. I use Pandora regularly. I check emails. I Wikipedia on the go a lot. Twitter and Facebook may as well never be closed. My car piggybacks off my data plan. I've never exceeded 1.5GB, and I've never been throttled. I don't know if it's subject to the same threats of throttling, but I presume I'm barely in the 95% (I live in one of the more heavily throttled regions).

We have another line on our plan that is on the $30 unlimited plan; the user of that iPhone has iCloud on and only uses his phone for emails and occasional streaming. His data usage is about 1/4 to 1/5 of what I use, and is more representative of the typical smartphone user.

We've had AT&T since they were PacBell. We don't abuse them, and they don't abuse us.
__________________
iMac 21.5" 2.5; MacBook Pro 13" 2.4; iPad 2 3G 64GB; iPod nano 16GB
butterfly0fdoom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:52 AM   #490
dmylrea
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Score one for the consumer!

Judge awards victim of AT&T data throttling $850
__________________
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Dell Venue Pro 11
iPhone 6 / iPad Mini Retina 128GB
Mac Pro 2009 5,1 Xeon X5670 32GB DDR3-1333 ECC 960GB RAID0 SSD + 4TB w/QHD Display
dmylrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 01:39 PM   #491
Beelzbub
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Now look

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ng-adjustment/

And they talk about it on their website some.
http://www.att.com/esupport/datausag...Uel1160000000U
Beelzbub is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2012, 05:12 PM   #492
dmylrea
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzbub View Post
While that makes me happier, I'm still not HAPPY. I probably won't be throttled now, since my usage never goes over 3GB, but the principle is still there and AT&T is still messing with us.

I like how commenters call it "fair". "Fair" is giving me unlimited 3G data like I paid for.
__________________
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and Dell Venue Pro 11
iPhone 6 / iPad Mini Retina 128GB
Mac Pro 2009 5,1 Xeon X5670 32GB DDR3-1333 ECC 960GB RAID0 SSD + 4TB w/QHD Display
dmylrea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:27 AM   #493
magicbrain
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistle Blower View Post
CEO ATT Wireless: Ralph De La Vega - ralph.delavega@att.com
EVP Mobility Customer Service: Brian Shay- brian.shay@att.com
Phone- (214) 757-5750
Cell - (425) 205-0932

It's time to let these two gentleman how you feel. Time to stop venting on these forums and and do something about it.
----------------
what kills me is that attFail just announced they have no plans to throttle unlimited users on the new ipad ... wft? different set of rules for different users?
discrimination (& no, you can't transfer unlimited iPhone plan to iPad ... i've tried )
__________________
attFail? sign petition / submit to FCC / cancel without paying fees
switch to h2o w/out jb - $25/m 1000min&txt
magicbrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carrier: Legality of AT&T Throttling users with unlimited data? ideal.dreams iPhone 77 Apr 17, 2014 12:58 PM
All iPads: Unlimited data throttling? iMaven iPad 3 Feb 13, 2014 04:39 PM
Carrier: Unlimited AT&T data throttling qpid360 iPad 37 Dec 5, 2013 05:52 PM
Carrier: Probably highest data usage. Verizon unlimited data richdog31 iPhone 35 Oct 5, 2013 09:31 PM
AT&T is Throttling ALL Smartphone Users Regardless of your Plan Or Data Usage The iGentleman Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 4 Aug 1, 2012 04:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC