Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaner07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
hello all, ive had this problem the last few days.
i was deleting stuff from cydia the other day and cydia had to reboot device. now since then my ipod boots up to the apple logo then just shuts off.
ive tried putting into dfu mode but it wont work. can anyone help me with this?
info: iPod Touch 1st gen. running 3.1.2. used blackra1n to jailbreak it.
thanks.

funwithamar

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
enter into the recovery mode or the dfu mode and restore ur device to a fresh 3.1.2 f/w
u said dfu dint fix it , do u get an error ... what error is it ?

Kaner07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
enter into the recovery mode or the dfu mode and restore ur device to a fresh 3.1.2 f/w
u said dfu dint fix it , do u get an error ... what error is it ?

my ipod simply wont enter in to dfu mode when i hold down each button for the times stated, nothing happens. the apple logo disappears then returns again.
i get no error code at all.

Kaner07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
did you try to do a restore....? better to lose some of the jailbreak stuff then not being able to use it :p

i cant restore cause itunes and my computer wont ever recognise it!
ive searched all over the place for a solution but cant find one.
any advice is greatly appreciated.

Kaner07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
little update for anyone who can help

so for the last few days ive been searching high and low for a solution to my problem. ive tried iREB and iRecovery. both have failed. i think my main problem is that my pc doesnt recognise my ipod. it doesnt show up in drivers or my computer. DFU mode is not the answer because it simply wont enter it, no matter how many times ive tried.
if anyone has any answers or ideas let me know. to make it clearer this is what is happening. i was deleting stuff from cydia to clear space. cydia needed to reboot device. clicked ok now this is happening:
IPOD TURNS ON - APPLE LOGO APPEARS FOR ABOUT 10 TO 20 SECONDS - IPOD COMPLETELY TURNS OFF.
its stuck in this cycle. could i now be the proud owner of a bricked ipod touch? i hope not.
come on guys, together i believe we can fix this problem.
speak soon,
Kaner

Unearthed13

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Same

Last night I developed the same problem, except I can restore (but I really don't want to as I just spent the weekend putting everything from my jailbreak back on, I had to restore a few days ago.) I tried a few things hoping they would work such as re-jailbreaking in restore mode which I thought might work since with redsn0w (which btw didn't work on my ipod and caused me to have to restore last time...) since it reloads the IPSW. Everything of course worked fine until it tried to reboot. I tried re-jailbreaking with blackra1n, which is my preferred jailbreak. Neither worked. Hope we can find some solution. In my case short of restoring. Best of luck. Let me know if you find anything.

maomar

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
so for the last few days ive been searching high and low for a solution to my problem. ive tried iREB and iRecovery. both have failed. i think my main problem is that my pc doesnt recognise my ipod. it doesnt show up in drivers or my computer. DFU mode is not the answer because it simply wont enter it, no matter how many times ive tried.
if anyone has any answers or ideas let me know. to make it clearer this is what is happening. i was deleting stuff from cydia to clear space. cydia needed to reboot device. clicked ok now this is happening:
IPOD TURNS ON - APPLE LOGO APPEARS FOR ABOUT 10 TO 20 SECONDS - IPOD COMPLETELY TURNS OFF.
its stuck in this cycle. could i now be the proud owner of a bricked ipod touch? i hope not.
speak soon,
Kaner

I have the same problem
my dev. : iPhone 3g 8GB FW. 3.1.2
:(

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
If it is turned off try putting it into recovery mode by holding down only the home button while connecting it to your computer and keeping it held down until the connect to iTunes image appears then try a restore.

Unearthed13

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Update

So my iPod is now working. It had to be restored. Moral of the story: Redsn0w doesn't work on some iPods. I was stupid and reused it probably 3 times before I realized that's what was crashing my iPod. I used only blackra1n and haven't had another problem. Hope you can find a solution to your problem as well.

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
hello all, ive had this problem the last few days.
i was deleting stuff from cydia the other day and cydia had to reboot device. now since then my ipod boots up to the apple logo then just shuts off.
ive tried putting into dfu mode but it wont work. can anyone help me with this?
info: iPod Touch 1st gen. running 3.1.2. used blackra1n to jailbreak it.
thanks.

I had the exact same issue with my 1st gen iPod Touch. I held down the home button + sleep button for about 30 seconds. At first, the apple logo comes up, but if you continue to hold the buttons down, the iPod asks to be plugged into a computer with iTunes. From there you can do a restore.

I thought it was strange that my touch got into that mess, but was really happy when I found I could restore it. HTH

Kaner07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I had the exact same issue with my 1st gen iPod Touch. I held down the home button + sleep button for about 30 seconds. At first, the apple logo comes up, but if you continue to hold the buttons down, the iPod asks to be plugged into a computer with iTunes. From there you can do a restore.

when i do that my ipod just boots to the apple logo, then turns off, then boots to the apple logo etc.
i cant get it out of this cycle.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
when i do that my ipod just boots to the apple logo, then turns off, then boots to the apple logo etc.

It's bricked. Happened to 2 of my iPods so far (Original Model, one was my brothers). The bad news is there is no way to restore your iPod or fix it (It's dead). The good news is that if you still have your warranty you can go to your local Apple Store and exchange it for a new one because there is no way to tell that it has been jailbroken (they can't do anything about it either). There are similar issues mentioned in the above post, all of which I am familiar with, but this issue is pretty much the worst. I believe that this issue happens when trying to install a Cydia app that modifies system files (and doesn't install correctly).

MattA

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
Orlando, FL

Yes, the same thing happened to me. You'd reset, and it would just show the apple logo and shut down.

What I did differently is continued to hold the home/sleep buttons while the apple logo was on. Don't let go when you see the Apple symbol. It takes another 10-20 seconds, but it eventually asks to plug into iTunes and allows you to restore. I think it's sort of an emergency restore mode or something like that.

I thought mine was bricked too, but this worked.

Link2999

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Yes, the same thing happened to me. You'd reset, and it would just show the apple logo and shut down.

What I did differently is continued to hold the home/sleep buttons while the apple logo was on. Don't let go when you see the Apple symbol. It takes another 10-20 seconds, but it eventually asks to plug into iTunes and allows you to restore. I think it's sort of an emergency restore mode or something like that.

I thought mine was bricked too, but this worked.

That's DFU restore, if the system files were corrupted, then this may not work. (Cannot turn off the screen/buttons have no effect/computer doesn't recognize device)

jakfoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2008
Here Are The Steps

I found the solution in 30 minutes!!!!!

1.You Should Connect and hold down the home button until itunes says the ipod is connenct. (This might take 5 minutes)

2. Then you click the restore button and wait for it to restore.

Theres only two simply procedures.

theman24

macrumors member
May 15, 2010
speak soon,
Kaner

Well I guess that teaches you that jailbreaking you ipod is a bad idea!:D:D
P.S Try bringing to apple, hopefully they won't recognize that you jailbreaked it.:rolleyes:

CORDOVA

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
Work! Proven And Tested! :d

If restored isn't working, (it didn't for me) try to downgrade it.
Say you have version 3.1.3 downgrade it to 3.1.2, it kinda is like recovering it.
But it still works! :D

Eazze

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
speak soon,
Kaner
Okay so heres what youre gunna do
1. hold down the home button
2. connect to computer and make sure itunes is ready
3. plug ipod into computer
4. (ur ipod should then be in recovery mode)
5. Recover/restore your ipod in itunes
and you are done
i hope this helped anyone with a bricked ipod or the same problem :)

stridereight

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
speak soon,
Kaner

Hi, I know this is an old forum, but when i searched for help when i had this same problem i still came across this forum. I tried EVERYTHING on the internet i could find and NOTHING worked. However, i was able to restore my 3g itouch, 36 gb.

What i did:

1. install latest itunes software and have it running.
2. while the apple symbol was displayed on my itouch, i plugged itouch into usb.
3. held on/off button, and while still holding on/off button, held home button until it powered off.
4. while continuing to hold the home button, i released the on/off button while the device was still powered off. I continued to hold it for about 30 seconds. then my computer recognised it and itunes detected my device in restore mode.

Itunes downloaded new software for my itouch and tried to install it. it failed. I clicked cancel on the submit to apple popup. then i clicked restore in itunes once more.

My device was restored then. Phew, i purchased it from ebay knowing it had the problem and i don't know anything else about it's history.

Hope this helps someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.