Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
Anyone using the iPad mini for art or drawing/doodling? What apps are you using? How do you find the size of the mini for this?

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I really like "Paper" and take requests from my five-year-old all the time :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359679586.391565.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359679603.906895.jpg

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
+1 for Paper. Simple, direct, no bells nor whistles i.e. no distraction, and a beautiful interface.
I sometimes use ProCreate for more complex drawings.

Eadfrith

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2011
Lindisfarena
Those are great drawings. How does procreate perform on the mini?

----------

+1 for Paper. Simple, direct, no bells nor whistles i.e. no distraction, and a beautiful interface.
I sometimes use ProCreate for more complex drawings.

How well does procreate perform?

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Those are great drawings. How does procreate perform on the mini?
----------

How well does procreate perform?

First of all, I'm on a regular iPad3 - so please compare device specs if needed.

ProCreate allows the creation of iPad size (retina) images of 2048x2048. That plus the use of layers can cause important delays in saving resp. opening/rendering image files. I reckon they're quite large.
I have no idea about the resolution of Paper image files, and of course there's but one layer. Anyway, opening/rendering images is a lot faster here.

Both ProCreate and Paper have a splendid inking engine and are highly responsive. Each has it's own set of gestures, evidently ProCreate has a few more.

After about a month of using both, my personal advice: if you want to have fun drawing, go for Paper. If you're a pro, go for ProCreate or both.

YMMV

@ stickybuns: nice work! Actually I don't like cats too much, but I do yours :-D

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
@ stickybuns: nice work! Actually I don't like cats too much, but I do yours :-D

Thanks! She's the only member of the family who will sit still (e.g. sleep!) long enough for me to get a semi-decent sketch done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.