Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1
rivetingsteve
macrumors newbie

Canadian traveling to USA - iphone 5 data

Hey Guys,

What is the easiest way for me to use my unlocked Iphone5 in Florida when traveling this march. Basically just looking for data and a few minutes.
rivetingsteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:00 AM   #2
dtbratt
macrumors 6502

Id look at the Pay-Per-Day T-Mobile plans.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:13 AM   #3
rivetingsteve
macrumors newbie

is it much hassle to get a nano sim for the pay per day? I will be arriving at FLL. Would i be able to accomplish this in the airport?
rivetingsteve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivetingsteve View Post
is it much hassle to get a nano sim for the pay per day? I will be arriving at FLL. Would i be able to accomplish this in the airport?
Welcome :-)

no, unfortunately you won't. However, one thing you could do is buy the SIM online and have it shipped to your hotel (make sure they write your name though).

I don't recommend T-Mobile, their 3G/4G frequency is unique you end up stuck with Edge speed. How long will you be in the US for?
Tiger8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:13 AM   #5
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivetingsteve View Post
Hey Guys,

What is the easiest way for me to use my unlocked Iphone5 in Florida when traveling this march. Basically just looking for data and a few minutes.
What part if Florida will you be in? If you're in Miami or Central Florida I would go with the Tmobile option that someone suggested above since their network supports 3G on the iPhone in those areas. Just go into one of their stores to activate and get the nano sim.

If not you could try straight talk or Net10 but I don't think they supply nano SIM cards.
CEmajr is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Your best bet is to go into a local Walmart and get a Straight Talk SIM, choose your pre-paid plan, and you should be good to go with using your iPhone here.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:33 PM   #7
Akack
macrumors 6502a

Even though South Florida is "reframed" by TMobile so you can get 3G data speeds on your iPhone, it may be spotty and not everywhere and will revert back to slow edge speeds. Sometimes it helps if you toggle airplane mode off then back on and sometimes it can catch a 3G signal.

I live in an area supposedly reframed by T Mobile and I do get 3G data speeds but its very inconsistent. At work I get 3G but I literally go across the street and it goes back to edge....very spotty.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:43 AM   #8
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

You could but a Straight Talk SIM from the kiosk they have at the mall nearby in Wellington.

http://www.straighttalkblog.com/2013...ail-shops.html
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone