Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old May 11, 2011, 11:04 AM   #151
r0k
macrumors 68040

I have an aging (2008) white Macbook. I'm working on upgrading the HDD to see if I can squeak another year out of it. For portable use, I have an iPad. If I had "money to burn" I think I'd have an iMac, a MBA and an iPad.

If I manage to coax another whole year out of my Macbook, I'll go for a 15 in MBP or an iMac and continue using my iPad for portable use. I'm not that tempted by the 11.6 inch MBA as it is as vertically challenged (vertical pixel resolution) as most netbooks. With the arrival of the new iMacs, it is clear Apple is on the 1080p (or better) bandwagon.

If Apple comes out with an 11.6 in MBA that has 900 or more vertical pixels, I'll have to give it consideration but making it my "main" machine might require network storage I could use as seamlessly as I currently use a LaCie 1TB firewire drive on my Mac.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 07:01 PM   #152
mikes63737
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingmusic View Post
What do you use as a File Server?
The minimal install of Ubuntu, plus Samba. VPN access is provided by Windows Server 2008R2.

And just to clarify, when I said "allows me to keep my work up-to-date between the two machines" I didn't mean that there was any type of syncing going on. I just mount the file share, and I immediately have the most recent copy of all my documents. The only syncing I use is rsync for backing up the file server.
mikes63737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 10:56 PM   #153
makingmusic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancleef View Post
Sounds like you have decided.
Bought it tonight awesome. Haven't installed extra memory but 32bit Geekbench is 11+ while my 2009 is 7+
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:53 PM   #154
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

Since this thread was started and mobile computing continues to explode I'm guessing more people are using only one computer.

What's your 'ideal setup'?
entatlrg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:09 PM   #155
talmy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by entatlrg View Post
Since this thread was started and mobile computing continues to explode I'm guessing more people are using only one computer.

I would suppose many people are now using Tablet and a computer of some sort. But that's not me.

Here's what I said in this thread in 2011:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
It's the same old story since this thread was started over two years ago. And it isn't a Mac only issue.

A desktop system gives more bang-for-buck and superior ergonomics.

A notebook system gives superior accessibility.

I'd have a hard time getting by without my MacBook, which I use in several locations around town and on vacations. However I'd go crazy if it were my only system. It's just too difficult to use compared with my 27" iMac with a second monitor and mammoth 22 year old Northgate Omnikey keyboard.

Only problem with both is keeping them synchronized, and of course the additional cost.
Since then my 13" MacBook has been replaced with a 15" MBP with the high resolution matte display, but I'm still using my 27" iMac setup exactly as it was when I bought it November 2009.

Believe me, I've given lots of thought to going to one system (especially at the time I purchased the MBP which is ever so slightly faster than my iMac). However I'd sure miss all that screen area and even adding a 27" display it would not be as pleasant to use.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:17 AM   #156
Macsonic
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to Macsonic
Quote:

Hi entatlrg. I am still using 2 computers with the second one as backup to avoid any downtime in work in cases of unexpected repairs.
Macsonic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:16 AM   #157
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

I think the explosion in mobile devices would prob mean more people with NO computers (in the more traditional sense of the word). Those with two or more will find a way to justify having them still. As I do...
Santabean2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:25 AM   #158
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

I went one computer for half a year because retina seemed so unbelievably promising. But constantly having to hook/unhook to be ergonomic and not always being avalable (ie in the bag, in another room, or somewhere else lost in the house) is becoming a problem. Performance and drive space is now a problem too. It's true laptops are really great performers now, but desktops still outperform and saving an extra hour in compiling a day can get me a new desktop in a few weeks.

Which is why I'm going to shop for a new shiny imac topped out today probably and keep my laptop or buy a smaller rmbp 13 to save some money. But then again, I'm a professional who has ridiculous computer requirements.
aloshka is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:32 PM   #159
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
If you had the choice what would your ideal set up be? A 15" macbook pro, or a combination of a macbook and desktop, (or pc?< bad word I know
I sold a beast of a Mac Pro when quad processors debuted in the Macbook Pro. Now I have portability and good processing power in a single machine. Of course, this configi also gives the capability to boot into Windows if need be.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 01:40 PM   #160
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
I sold a beast of a Mac Pro when quad processors debuted in the Macbook Pro. Now I have portability and good processing power in a single machine. Of course, this configi also gives the capability to boot into Windows if need be.
You don't miss an always-on machine? I have the money to get an iMAC + rMBP 13" if I sell my 15" topped out rMBP 15... but I can't pull the trigger because I'm just not sure.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:40 PM   #161
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloshka View Post
You don't miss an always-on machine? I have the money to get an iMAC + rMBP 13" if I sell my 15" topped out rMBP 15... but I can't pull the trigger because I'm just not sure.
I have a 2011 27in iMac that serves as my media server. It's always on, so I can access files/documents from my MBA at home or on the go and even stream movies/TV shows directly to my iPad or iPhone (via AirVideo Server). It's a sweet setup and I love it, but it may be achievable with some type of NAS setup for a lot cheaper (but not sure). Alternatively, depending on what your uses are (i.e. if it's just a media server), a Mac Mini could be a cheaper alternative as well.
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:12 PM   #162
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylePowers View Post
I have a 2011 27in iMac that serves as my media server. It's always on, so I can access files/documents from my MBA at home or on the go and even stream movies/TV shows directly to my iPad or iPhone (via AirVideo Server). It's a sweet setup and I love it, but it may be achievable with some type of NAS setup for a lot cheaper (but not sure). Alternatively, depending on what your uses are (i.e. if it's just a media server), a Mac Mini could be a cheaper alternative as well.
I meant just go to your desk, move the mouse and immediately look up anything you need or find a file or reply to an email instead of trying to hunt down your laptop, wait until it wakes up (lately that takes a while, not sure what changed), and then eventually doing what you need to?

My situation is worse, because a lot of times I need a bigger screen to do something quick graphics-wise, and plugging the rmbp into a display is the only way to do it, and sometimes it can take 5 minutes to turn on the display.

Also, wired aluminum keyboard is not detected 90% of the time with a TB display. So I have to constantly unplug and try every USB port until I find one that works.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:59 PM   #163
MacRazySwe
macrumors 6502

I absolutely love the setup I've got as of now. The iMac and MBA 13" complement each other perfectly.

The iMac acts as the work-horse for SketchUp, photo editing and sometimes a bit of Garageband. I also use it as my home, media hub for storage of large files, as HD-space on the MBA is limited. Moreover, it's great for watching movies, doubling as a bedroom TV.

The MBA is used daily at Uni, and offers great portability while providing a large enough screen. The battery life is absolutely amazing. Managed to squeeze 11 hours off one single charge (BT & AirPort off, brightness on lowest setting). The "problem" is the SSD is so goddamn quick that I'm growing tired of the HDD in my iMac.

I keep the important files and schoolwork synced through DropBox.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:52 PM   #164
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloshka View Post
My MBP is always on, just sleeping in a BookArc and connected to external display. I'd consider keeping the 15" rMBP and purchasing the new TBD when it debuts in a bit.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 06:50 PM   #165
FrankHahn
macrumors 6502a

I have three Macs used regularly, one Mac Pro with an ACD in the office, one Mac mini with an ACD at home, and one 13" MacBook Air on the go.

To me, one Mac is obviously insufficient because I really dislike to connect things up when I want to use a computer.

To keep files in sync, I sometimes use the iCloud. I always carry a USB stick with me and backup the modified file(s) to it. If I am confused on the current version of a file on a Mac, I just compare the modification time of the file on the Mac with that on my USB stick.

I also keep several backups of all my files (on Macs, on USB sticks, on mobile hard disks). The Time Machine is also used on my Mac Pro.
FrankHahn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:10 AM   #166
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
What's you preference, to work from one computer, or two?

I'll often read in forums that it's best to work from ONE computer, this way all your data is in one place easy to organize you can use an external display etc ... If you're away from a desk at all and using one computer you'd have to use a notebook.

Others prefer TWO computers, a permanent desktop and a notebook, a set up like that can be had for cheap or you can go all out and buy a top the line iMac or MacPro and an Air for a notebook I guess. But you'll have data, shortcuts, preferences like at different settings so it's a little more work to keep in sync..

If you had the choice what would your ideal set up be? A 15" macbook pro, or a combination of a macbook and desktop, (or pc?< bad word I know

Interested to hear comments/opinions.

Thanks.
I used to have it where I had my iMac and my MacBook (back when there were "MacBooks"); the iMac had discrete graphics and storage space so I could do my heavy lifting there and my MacBook...well...didn't. This became limiting. I wanted the ability to do everything I would otherwise do on my iMac on the go. It also sucked having to centralize everything on my iMac when sometimes I might want to access it on the go. So, I switched to just having a 15" MacBook Pro; best of both worlds. I have a NAS for all of the stuff I don't need unless I'm home and a PC desktop for gaming (which will always be a better implement for such tasks than an iMac ever would).

That being said, times change. Maybe when my lifestyle slows down, it'll make sense to once again adopt a desktop Mac and a 13" laptop (be it an Air or a Pro). By then most games that I want may have dual-release on Mac and PC platforms. Maybe my desktop PC lifestyle will be such that I never perform upgrades. It's entirely possible. But for the time being, I don't see it happening.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 06:37 PM   #167
aloshka
macrumors 6502a

I finally jumped into it and got an iMAC along side my rmbp maxed out. I can't believe what a huge difference in speed it is. Benchmarks don't cover things like everything feels faster. I have to admit, I'm glad I made the decision to get away from a laptop-only computer. However, now I'm contemplating whether or not to get MBA 13, keep rMBP 15, or an ipad with a keyboard.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice