Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Jul 6, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
leoheise
macrumors newbie

Clean RAM Memory

Hello... I'm new in the forum, and I had a doubt that maybe is very idiot. What sentence can I use to clean the RAM memory?? For example, I click in a button and the memory, then, cleans entirely.

Sorry if I wrote something wrong, I'm brazilian. xD

Thanks,
Leo

Last edited by leoheise; Jul 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Resolved
leoheise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Tibbar
macrumors member

In most cases, there is probably not much benefit to manually clearing/freeing the RAM (look up the word "placebo"). OS X is supposed to manage that. If you are running out of memory, install more RAM sticks instead and avoid using memory-leaking programs.

But if that doesn't solve your problem, then install Xcode and then run the 'purge' command.
http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/24/free-...purge-command/

Onyx also has a similar command.
http://www.titanium.free.fr/
Tibbar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:29 PM   #3
chown33
macrumors 603

Read this first:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1342
Inactive:

This information is in RAM but it is not actively being used, it was recently used.

For example, if you've been using Mail and then quit it, the RAM that Mail was using is marked as Inactive memory. Inactive memory is available for use by another application, just like Free memory. However, if you open Mail before its Inactive memory is used by a different application, Mail will open quicker because its Inactive memory is converted to Active memory, instead of loading it from the slower drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbar View Post
But if that doesn't solve your problem, then install Xcode and then run the 'purge' command.
As of at least 10.8 Mtn Lion, installing Xcode is unnecessary. The 'purge' command is present by default. At least it is on the 10.8 that came pre-installed on the MacBook Pro I bought in Nov 2012.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
ElectricSheep
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to ElectricSheep
Just an FYI, the changes to the virtual memory subsystem of Mavericks is probably going to make anything you write moot, assuming it would work at all. This assumes you were going to do something like 'purge'.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 07:19 PM   #5
robvas
macrumors 68000

Reboot
robvas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 08:14 AM   #6
leoheise
macrumors newbie

thanks all... principally Tibbar and chown33.
How can I close this thread?
leoheise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:32 AM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoheise View Post
thanks all... principally Tibbar and chown33.
How can I close this thread?
Edit your first post (click on "Advanced" if it doesn't take you to the advanced editor by default), click on the title prefix drop down, and choose "Resolved". It doesn't close the thread, but it says no one else should come here offering help. If anyone has the same question and wants to continue this discussion, they can resurrect this thread.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by robvas View Post
Reboot
Ahh, the IT support answer, Turn it off and on again, that fixes all issues

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming