Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RMH23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hi Mac gurus,

I've just purchased my first iMac and am looking for some opinions from some people with more apple experience than I......

So I bought myself a new 21.5" iMac this weekend. When I went to open it I started by pulling the clear tape off the top of the box. But under this layer of tape I found another layer of tape which had already been cut. I'm not sure what to make of this. There was nothing at all suspicious about the top layer of tape - it looked just like you'd expect on a new product. But having the second layer that had already been cut makes me think that it had already been opened for some reason.

I'm in Australia and they became available on Friday and I purchased mine on Saturday morning so I wouldn't have thought something would have been returned by then.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on this?

RMH23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Here's a photo in case my description wasn't clear. The peeled off tape is the mess on the top, and if you look closely you can see a second layer of tape that has been cut.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 529

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
The retailer could have opened it for a look at the new product, or apple themselves might have re opened it for some reason. Was any of the other packing tampered with ?

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
That is unusual. I assume you bought it at an apple store?
Did the interior appear to be repackaged? The protective films on the screen and such can be impossible to put back on cleanly once they're taken off.
Did you get the Mac startup movie when you turned it on?

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Anything that was double taped is NOT new, it was open previously. Could have been by someone else or by the store it came from. I once purchased an iMac from a local Mac outlet store and came across the owner selling me a used unit thinking I wouldn't be able to tell it was previously opened. Well the trick was on him when it went right back as I discovered it was previously opened.

The store could have looked at rushing to collect your money and selling you a display unit being its a newly released item. This would be the most logic thing. I highly doubt that a customer took it back being these things just came out and not even every Apple store has one on display.

strongs

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Personally I would take it straight back. I'd hate to think someone else (other than the people that assembled it of course) had used or even touched my iMac before me.

RMH23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I actually didn't proceed any further once I noticed the cut tape. It was 11pm on sunday night at that stage so I thought I'd wait til the morning when I could ring the Apple Store where I bought it so I could hear what they had to say about it.

I'll check out the rest of the packaging first thing in the morning though.

Thanks for the replies!

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
if you feel uncomfortable , go back an exchange it . Im assuming you were paying for a brand new sealed product in which case you did not get. I wont by a product if the box has a crinkle in any of the corners , but that just might be my OCD in action. bring it back if its gonna bother you . as soon as you see a glitch you will start obsessing that you bought a returned product.

strongs

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
<snip> I wont by a product if the box has a crinkle in any of the corners , but that just might be my OCD in action. <snip>.

lol me too! :D:rolleyes: if you think about it though theres nothing wrong with this afterall for a box to have accumulated crinkles / creases it couldn't of been handled with care or stored correctly :eek:

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Hi Mac gurus,

I've just purchased my first iMac and am looking for some opinions from some people with more apple experience than I......

So I bought myself a new 21.5" iMac this weekend. When I went to open it I started by pulling the clear tape off the top of the box. But under this layer of tape I found another layer of tape which had already been cut. I'm not sure what to make of this. There was nothing at all suspicious about the top layer of tape - it looked just like you'd expect on a new product. But having the second layer that had already been cut makes me think that it had already been opened for some reason.

I'm in Australia and they became available on Friday and I purchased mine on Saturday morning so I wouldn't have thought something would have been returned by then.

There could be any number of reasons why the seal was broken. But, I seriously doubt the machine has been used in anyway. Apple just released it. Its not like it was previously sold and returned. The cellophane attached to the face of the monitor screen, once removed, is almost impossible to reattach without you noticing it. Also, check the power cord. I don't know about anyone else but I have never been able to roll the power cord on any new product back to the way the factory rolled it. These are two tale-tale signs that the unit has been used if they are disturbed.

If you have used it and it works fine, keep it.

Last edited:

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

What I would do is get it out of the box and take a look at what the iMac looks like. Don't sent it back right away. You may have a good machine inside. Sometimes I have bought something in an immaculate box only to find out that the product inside is marked or not manufactured properly. In most cases unless the box is really damaged you cannot tell what the product is going to be like inside.

I would recommend that once open check the whole machiene for finger prints marks etc, packaging being opened, protective films being peeled off, cables out of their loom. Once you get it out it will be obvious if anybody other than Apple have messed around with it. If you find out it has been messed with then you are well within your rights to send it back. But before then check it out. You don't know, you may have one with a good screen.

stijntje113

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2012
Seal label

Hello,

Is it just clear tape or some kind of seal tape? (with a logo?)
I work at a medical company. And we do inspections on the products.
Therefore we need to take of the seal label and after inspecting it we will pack it again and put a new one on it. (with a logo)
Maybe that's the case at your mac...

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
My first iMac was like this, but it was the Apple Store that opened it to slip in an "up to date" disc for iLife. Personally, if the cords are still wound like they were from the factory and none of the tape around the computer is broken, it's new. Infinite reasons for 2 layers of tape to be on there.

maxira

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
I did not understand if the new iMac or the previous one, because the box seems to be that old :confused:

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Did you buy it with the trackpad? Didn't they previously pre-package em with the mouse, and swap them out in-store if you decided you wanted the trackpad instead? Seem to remember reading that somewhere.

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
OP, if you're uncomfortable with the double tape, go back and get it exchanged. I once purchased a MacBook Pro that had the double tape and had it exchanged on the spot at the Apple Store.

mokeiko

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Could this by chance be one of those new iMacs (discussed elsewhere in this forum) that may have had some assembly in China, with additional assembly or modifications performed here in the USA?

Does it say "assembled in USA" on it anywhere?

In that case, it may have come from China with the first layer of "sealed" tape, which was then cut for the additional work, and then re-sealed.

Have you booted it up?
Was there ANY evidence at bootup that it had been previously used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.