Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedVespaBlur

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Hi,

Had spent a long time trying to get my Panasonic 3D TV to read the variety of files I stick into its SD slot or USB port to no avail. Had assumed that my oldish non-3D receiver and AppleTV would not pump out right signal for side by side 3D.

Finally just ran the 1080p rips through Handbrake using ATV2 preset and dumped into iTunes

Works fine - the TV does not auto detect 3D - but when pushed into side by side mode outputs perfect 3D picture for use with active shutter glasses.

Whoo Hoo! This is way cheaper than the variety of buying new stuff scenarios I had contemplated.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Yes, I have also tried it and it worked. The only bad thing is that when the TV is in 3D mode, the Apple TV menus appear out of place and distorted. Navigation barely works. If you don't mind that, then you can watch 3D using your AppleTV.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Sorry to resurrect a old thread. But I'm looking for videos on how this would look. I have been looking at getting a 3dtv, and was trying to figure out how to play my 3d blueray backups streaming somehow.
The way you guys are doing it works for 3d however, there is a resolution downgrade since the apple tv can do 1080p while true 3d requires two sources at 1080p which are played side by side. So I wanted to see how it would look on a tv, and if it looks okay despite the lesser resolution

Any chance you guys could take videos and upload them, or someone else out there

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
I didn't even know it was possible to rip 3D bluray discs... But like the previous poster said, it then down converts the resolution? Do the 3D tvs simply have a button to press to switch between 2d and 3D?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.