Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I think nowadays we're focusing too much on the device and less on the use. Hence the endless upgrade cycles.
It really shoud be: I use my ipad for______ hence I should get _____ model.

I got an iPad 4 because the retina display is almost necessary for lots of PDF reading, and it's fast enough that it doesnt lag on really really big PDFs

Even if the iPad 5 comes out next month with a new design, I don't see myself upgrading because the iPad 4 fulfills its purpose.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
While that's generally true, the next iPad is likely going to be a gigantic leap compared to the prevus updates

IPad -> iPad 2 - Big leap. New shell, drastic NOTICEABLE speed improvement

IPad 2 -> iPad 3 - Small leap. Retina screen is amazing but thicker and no speed improvement

IPad 3 -> iPad 4 - Small leap. No new features. No A6X apps. Same old design

IPad 4 -> iPad 5 - Huge leap. (speculated). new design to match Apples current product line (bonded glass, thinner bezel, lighter shell). Improvements to screen. Stereo speakers. Additional hardware (NFC? GPS in wifi model?). An OS that actually deserves to be on Apples amazing hardware.

Peopl are strongly defending the iPad 4 now, but my bet is that when the iPad 5 comes out it will be obvious that both the iPad 3 and 4 are interim "filler" products that were simply biding time for Apple to "get it right". Apple is overdue for a revolutionary upgrade so I'm feeling that its going to be in Q2 or q3 rather than Q4 again.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Same goes for LTE, was released on iPad before it was released on iPhone. Hopefully iPad 5 follows that pattern.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Operative word is "speculative."

I don't like to see people sit on their hands forever, putting off a potentially useful purchase because of what might be around the corner.

Few of us Apple users get every new generation of every major product lime; instead, we pick our battles.

If one doesn't currently have an iPad and wants/needs one for some purpose, I'd recommend just getting one.
True, but what are the chances that the iPad 5 will be more of the same?

In todays tablet market then the iPad design has been copied so much that it looks much older and outdated than it should. And when you compare it to the rest of the Apple family of products then it just looks out of place because it uses old manufacturing techniques, has those big bezels and (from a company that made "thin" a product requirement) it just looks fat.

I agree that if someone needs one now then they should grab one but with the iPad3's getting so heavily discounted then I'd go with an iPad3 because with all the promos out now then theyre an absolute steal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.