Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Never Build a Business on Someone Else's API

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

As noted in March, Twitter is planning to end support for TweetDeck for iPhone, TweetDeck for Android, and TweetDeck AIR. In an update to its original blog post today, Twitter announced that the services will be shut off on May 7.Though it is ending support for the aforementioned services, Twitter will continue development on its TweetDeck web app and Google Chrome apps, with a secondary focus on its native Mac and PC apps.

Twitter will also be dropping Facebook integration from the remaining versions of TweetDeck.

TweetDeck*for Mac, which is still supported, is a free download from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter to End Support for TweetDeck for iPhone on May 7

This is further proof that you should never build a business that is based on someone else's API.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Um actually yes it does. Well for me anyways. Simple to use, elegant, similar UI in the OS X and iOS clients etc etc. That's why I coughed up the rather expensive $20 I think it was for the OS X version. It's a good little twitter client.

Let me know when Tweetbot supports Facebook and other social network and has scheduled tweets, then i'll consider spending $20 for an app. Until then... they can keep their overpriced OS X app.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Awesome of Twitter to buy TweetDeck, an app that was updated weekly, remove a bunch of it's features, then stop updating it and eventually kill it. :mad:

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I've always used TweetCaster for posting to Twitter and FB simultaneously and the native apps for content consumption. This will not affect me.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Let me know when Tweetbot supports Facebook and other social network and has scheduled tweets, then i'll consider spending $20 for an app. Until then... they can keep their overpriced OS X app.

This is Tweetbot not anysocialnetworkbot. Tweetbot does it's job very well. If you want the adium of the twitter world you'll have to look elsewhere.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Reckon twitter will disappear in the not to distant future? They've got a very strong user base, but they seem to keep struggling to profit from it.

The same can be said of Facebook right now, but neither is about to suddenly disappear.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
The same can be said of Facebook right now, but neither is about to suddenly disappear.

People have more of their lives recorded on FB. Twitter deletes your tweets as they get too old anyway (at least they used to?). Not as big a loss.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
People have more of their lives recorded on FB. Twitter deletes your tweets as they get too old anyway (at least they used to?). Not as big a loss.

That's becoming less and less true these days. A lot of people I know simply don't log on anymore, and these are ~18 year olds at uni, the original target market. Advertisers aren't too fond of Facebook these days either.

Twitter doesn't delete your tweets as they get old, I have no idea where you got that from.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
This is Tweetbot not anysocialnetworkbot. Tweetbot does it's job very well. If you want the adium of the twitter world you'll have to look elsewhere.

I'm very well aware of what the app is. I'm saying that it just doesn't compare to the functionality of TweetBot AIR. The fact that Tweetbot still doesn't have a connect button & can't schedule tweets just solidifies my point.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The fact that Tweetbot still doesn't have a connect button & can't schedule tweets just solidifies my point.
How many non-official Twitter clients can you name that have a connect button? Twitter's own program for OS X doesn't have one.

About tweet scheduling-annoying, perhaps, but not really such a loss in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.