Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:41 PM   #51
jeepik
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac4 View Post
You should be having no issues with sending videos in a group message on the note 2. I have it and never had that issue. What version of android are you running? I send videos and pictures all the time to multiple people. Let me know if you need help.
Sure..my note had 4.1.2 when i had it.. I would like to use the camera app to take a good quality 1 minute video and send an mms via the stock sms app without the video looking like a pixelated piece of....
jeepik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:43 PM   #52
bmac4
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepik View Post
Sure..my note had 4.1.2 when i had it.. I would like to use the camera app to take a good quality 1 minute video and send an mms via the stock sms app without the video looking like a pixelated piece of....
Ok so are you having issues with the video looking like crap? Not that you can't send mms to multiple people?
bmac4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:46 PM   #53
jeepik
macrumors member

Quote:
Ok so are you having issues with the video looking like crap? Not that you can't send mms to multiple people?
Its a combined issue

Im not having it..its just how android is

Ask someone with an iphone to send you a group and see how it comes in on your phone and especially if everyone on that group replies

For instance my wife sends a group message from her iphone to myself and both of my parents who have iphones

Everyone on the iphone gets it as a group message...while i recieve 3 different threads with random replies..whoch one do i post a video to?? Who knows
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:48 PM   #54
bmac4
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Its a combined issue

Ask someone with an iphone to send you a group and see how it comes in on your phone and especially if everyone on that group replies

For instance my wife sends a group message from her iphone to myself and both of my parents who have iphones

Everyone on the iphone gets it as a group message...while i recieve 3 different threads with random replies..whoch one do i post a video to?? Who knows
What carrier are you on?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:35 PM   #55
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Its a combined issue

Group messaging on the note 2 sucks, in particular receiving them. 4.2 supposedly fixes this, but I have no experience with that and who knows how long until Samsung gets it. I've been using Handcent messaging with decent results, but Handcent is far from optimal and has its own annoying quirks.

Does anyone know if there is a messaging APK floating around from 4.2 which can be applied to a rooted note 2? I'm on ATT.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:45 PM   #56
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddude View Post
For email try touchdown app

For sharing videos, theres many ways: dropbox, email, Facebook messenger, etc.
Facebook messenger doesn't do video.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:51 PM   #57
aerok
macrumors 65816

I'm not too fond of my Note II, the screen and the size kinda turns me off but there are no other equivalents when it comes to battery life and performance so I'm stuck with mine lol

My ideal device would a 4.3in phone (iOS or Android) with rounded edge (I really hate the sharp edges of the iPhone 4/4s/5) with an equal battery life of the one on the Note II. I don't really care if it's plastic or metal as right now, I find the HTC One X to have the best contruction ever followed by the original HTC Nexus One. The One X would have been perfect for me but the battery life really sucked.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:48 AM   #58
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
Group messaging on the note 2 sucks, in particular receiving them. 4.2 supposedly fixes this, but I have no experience with that and who knows how long until Samsung gets it. I've been using Handcent messaging with decent results, but Handcent is far from optimal and has its own annoying quirks.

Does anyone know if there is a messaging APK floating around from 4.2 which can be applied to a rooted note 2? I'm on ATT.
4.2 does indeed fix the issue of group messaging.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 08:39 AM   #59
Internaut
macrumors 6502

As I've noted before, Apple gets a lot of the grown up things just right. I connect my Samsung Galaxy S3 to my work account (Exchange 2010) and it is just about good enough for my needs, but has the occasional glitch compared to the previously flawless Apple experience.
Internaut is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:30 AM   #60
gpat
macrumors 6502a

If you have to think too hard about reasons to buy something, you probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:38 PM   #61
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
4.2 does indeed fix the issue of group messaging.
Nice, I'll have to do a search if there is a messaging APK floating around that I can hack onto my Note 2.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 03:52 PM   #62
aneftp
macrumors 68030

Just sold my Note 2. Just a little too big for me. It's fast. Does everything a phone needs to do.

Kept iPhone 5.

But I go through cell phones like water. Will check out the GS S4 when it comes out. Will try to pick on used after a month on Craigslist.
aneftp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:04 PM   #63
Markyboy81
macrumors 6502

Quote:
How is a 1 minute video sent over mms (which AFAIK has a limit of 300kb) going to look anything but a pixilated piece of.....
Markyboy81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:10 PM   #64
jeepik
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboy81 View Post
How is a 1 minute video sent over mms (which AFAIK has a limit of 300kb) going to look anything but a pixilated piece of.....
On the iphone it looks amazing..even when sent from an iphone to an android

Like i said apple did a great job of figuring this out

Google is totally ignoring this issue as of right now
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:17 PM   #65
Markyboy81
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Fair enough, just didn't think it was possible that's all. There are apps on android that offer various levels of compression also.
Markyboy81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:30 PM   #66
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:

You have got to be kidding. No, Apple didn't figure out how to magically make a pixelated crap MMS video look "amazing" when sent to any device that doesn't have iMessage. It still looks like crap and there is not a thing Apple can do about that.

As far as Google "totally ignoring this issue" that is not true either. Google Babel.

Michael
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:32 PM   #67
jeepik
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
You have got to be kidding. No, Apple didn't figure out how to magically make a pixelated crap MMS video look "amazing" when sent to any device that doesn't have iMessage. It still looks like crap and there is not a thing Apple can do about that.

As far as Google "totally ignoring this issue" that is not true either. Google Babel.

Michael
I just sent a video from my wife's iphone to my note 2 ..it looks great..what's next?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:31 PM   #68
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I just sent a video from my wife's iphone to my note 2 ..it looks great..what's next?
Um, have your eyes checked?

Apple. Cannot. Change. MMS.

All iMessage can do with a non-iMessage destination is revert to MMS, including its inherent limitations. No way around that.

Michael
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:58 PM   #69
jeepik
macrumors member

Quote:
Um, have your eyes checked?

Apple. Cannot. Change. MMS.

All iMessage can do with a non-iMessage destination is revert to MMS, including its inherent limitations. No way around that.

Michael
20/20 here brother..thanks for your concern
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:01 PM   #70
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
20/20 here brother..thanks for your concern
No concern for your eyes. Just don't like misinformation.

Michael
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:12 PM   #71
bmac4
macrumors 68000

Quote:
No concern for your eyes. Just don't like misinformation.

Michael
I am really not sure why he kept the note 2. I tried to help him out the other day, and all he wanted to do was complain about the MMS tell me how much better imessage and iPhone were at it. I just had to move along.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:21 PM   #72
jeepik
macrumors member

Quote:
I am really not sure why he kept the note 2. I tried to help him out the other day, and all he wanted to do was complain about the MMS tell me how much better imessage and iPhone were at it. I just had to move along.
I kept it because i can

I use it for some things and i use the iphone for others
Old Apr 24, 2013, 06:33 PM   #73
bmac4
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I kept it because i can

I use it for some things and i use the iphone for others
You kept it because you can. OK well you just cleared every thing up for me.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 01:30 AM   #74
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

The Note 2 is a beast. It's one hell of a phone if you root and flash a great ROM. The best thing about it is that people are constantly tinkering with the device to their likings. It's a challenge to actually kill the battery life. The screen is perfect for watching videos and playing games.

The downfall is that the Android ecosystem (Apps etc) are inferior than iOS. That's the main reason why I went back to the iPhone 5. Plus having an android phone does more harm to me. I've never been diagnosed with ADD but I'm sure I am. And tinkering with the Note 2 sure does consume a lot of my time. Especially with all the clean flashes and optimizations.

I haven't messed with my iPhone 5 ever since I jailbroke and installed the tweaks that I wanted. Occasionally I'll see a new tweak but there's no flashing involved. Just a quick respring.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices