Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:41 PM   #226
radiologyman
macrumors regular

I think physical home button will be gone since authentec solution already could work without the button. Remember the patent apple has been awarded for using a hidden button/ device bezel for user authentication?

Last edited by radiologyman; Jul 30, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
radiologyman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:00 PM   #227
justinp3714
macrumors newbie

Case manufacturers like otterbox might have to change their designs (i.e. the defender series). This will be interesting.
justinp3714 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:19 PM   #228
jrswizzle
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
Should be a blast to use when the cold weather starts then. I doubt those special touchscreen gloves will work for the sensor reading.

Also, I look forward to stories of people locked out of their phone after getting a paper cut on their thumb at work.

You won't be required to utilize it - likely just as passcodes and face recognition are currently OPTIONS, so too will the security features on the fingerprint sensor.

And again - why do you all think so small? There are a number of other applications (quick access to certain settings/apps/contacts via different fingerprints) that could come of this.

Jesus - but I bet Samsung's hand waving features are revolutionary
Tablet: iPad mini retina, iPad Air
jrswizzle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 04:59 PM   #229
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Hope they figure out the orientation of the finger print. Imagine trying to unlock your phone in landscape position

Quote:
Should be a blast to use when the cold weather starts then. I doubt those special touchscreen gloves will work for the sensor reading.

Also, I look forward to stories of people locked out of their phone after getting a paper cut on their thumb at work.
I'm sure you will still be able unlock your phone with the traditional password.
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 06:47 PM   #230
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Which is why they will require you to register at least 3 fingers. The fingerprint scanner on my previous laptop (which the scanner worked great BTW, I used it all the time) required you to register 3 fingers (you could register all 10 if you wanted) so if something like that happens, you can still have access. So even if you have your hand cut off for some reason, you still have 5 other choices!
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:06 PM   #231
richman555
macrumors regular

Certainly this has to be better than the simple 4 digit passcode most people use.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:59 PM   #232
KenAFSPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinp3714 View Post
Case manufacturers like otterbox might have to change their designs (i.e. the defender series). This will be interesting.
Maybe not. Remember, the AuthenTec fingerprint sensor that Apple acquired uses radio waves, which allows it to image through plastic and beneath your skin.
KenAFSPC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:22 PM   #233
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenAFSPC View Post
Maybe not. Remember, the AuthenTec fingerprint sensor that Apple acquired uses radio waves, which allows it to image through plastic and beneath your skin.
Cancer.
Mrg02d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:30 PM   #234
Jimbo47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
Cancer.
Don't say that. People are freaking out enough as it is about privacy issues. The last thing we need is for people to claim there are health issue as well
Jimbo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 01:04 AM   #235
sshhoott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Pie View Post
I can't wait to see future rumors titled "Thumb Bandits Strike Again, iTunes Accounts Drained".
I've taken the liberty of Photoshopping the image that will most likely accompany these rumors:

What if the sensor requires a beating pulse in the thumb to unlock the device? Then no finger print duplicates or chopped off thumbs can work to unlock the device. Only the real thing can because it's alive and has a beating pulse. At least I hope it's like that.
sshhoott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:53 AM   #236
MachineShedFred
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
What if the sensor requires a beating pulse in the thumb to unlock the device? Then no finger print duplicates or chopped off thumbs can work to unlock the device. Only the real thing can because it's alive and has a beating pulse. At least I hope it's like that.
Man, that cuts off the whole zombie market segment. You've got to be more inclusive in your product design!
MachineShedFred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2013, 08:15 PM   #237
sshhoott
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineShedFred View Post
Man, that cuts off the whole zombie market segment. You've got to be more inclusive in your product design!
Zombies don't use phones. Well, they just bite!
sshhoott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 06:52 AM   #238
daijholt
macrumors regular

Huffington post called this a "minor proof" of a fingerprint in future devices, which made me chuckle. I know we're far from 100% absolutely confirmed, but the fact it's included in a beta code this early when we've probably still got 1 or 2 more releases to go before gm is a pretty good sign that its close to implemented in near future hardware.

I'm quite excited about it, if the next iPhone has a fingerprint sensor I'll be on board for sure! I don't trust anyone not to try and steal my shiney smartphone these days! Biometrics combined with activation lock will pretty much render thieves stumped.
daijholt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion