Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:12 PM   #1
sgunes
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Need PCI-e card to attach 6-8 hard drives

I am looking to attach 6-8 additional hard drives with a PCI-e HBA (Host Bus Adapter). I am not interested in any external solutions.
I do not need RAID. I do not need to boot from it.

Would the ATTO ExpressSAS H608 be the best bang for the buck solution?
I can use it in OSX and Windows.

http://www.attotech.com/products/pro...=ESAS-H608-000

I found it online for $302 at Provantage.

Anything else that comes close to function and price?

Last edited by sgunes; Aug 10, 2013 at 01:21 PM.
sgunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 01:36 PM   #2
VirtualRain
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
I am looking to attach 6-8 additional hard drives with a PCI-e HBA (Host Bus Adapter). I am not interested in any external solutions.
I do not need RAID. I do not need to boot from it.

Would the ATTO ExpressSAS H608 be the best bang for the buck solution?
I can use it in OSX and Windows.

http://www.attotech.com/products/pro...=ESAS-H608-000

I found it online for $302 at Provantage.

Anything else that comes close to function and price?
I'm using a very affordable HighPoint card in my system...
http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Rock.../dp/B0050SLTPC

It's cheap ($150), doesn't require drivers, performs well, and has no issues.
It requires these cables which are not included.
I assume it would work in both Windows and OS X although I only use it in OS X.

Full write-up on my use of it here...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1504491
__________________
tools: nMP for photography, rMBP for working, iPad for surfing, iPhone for communicating, Mac Mini for entertaining
Canon tools: 5D Mark III 24-105L/70-300L/35L/50L/85L for capturing
VirtualRain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
sgunes
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualRain View Post
I'm using a very affordable HighPoint card in my system...
http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Rock.../dp/B0050SLTPC

It's cheap ($150), doesn't require drivers, performs well, and has no issues.
It requires these cables which are not included.
I assume it would work in both Windows and OS X although I only use it in OS X.

Full write-up on my use of it here...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1504491
I did not see in your write-up if you are on 10.7 or 10.8. I know some HPT adapters worked with older OSX versions only.

Reading the 8 1-star reviews on amazon and 11 on newegg (23%) does not install any confidence in the HPT product.
Has yours been running reliably?

The HPT 2720SGL is not mentioned on the Highpoint MAC site.
http://www.hptmac.com/product-category.php

I assume that it is a legacy product without ongoing support.

On a related note: do the SFF-8087 to SATA forward breakout cables come in SATA II and SATA III versions? I have not seen that mentioned on amazon or newegg but wouldn't a SATA II (3 Gb/s) cable bottle-neck my Vertex 4 or a pair of Kingston HyperX SSD's?

I found a discussion on Hardforum about that: http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1696941.html.

Edit: after reading some more on the ATTO site it seems that the maximum speed per port is 6Gb/s for SAS and 3 Gb/s for SATA as it does not mention SATA III at all. Under specifications: SAS, SATA, SATA II. That means that it would bottleneck a newer generation SSD.

"8 internal ports in a low-profile form factor
x8 PCIe 2.0 host connection
9.6GB/s throughput in full duplex-mode
SAS, SATA, SATA II connectivity
Advanced Data Streaming (ADS™) Technology
Support for up to 1024 end devices
User-friendly GUI based configuration utility".

Last edited by sgunes; Aug 10, 2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: SFF-8087 SATA III cables
sgunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Edgecrusherr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
This one worded for me on my hackintosh right out of the box (and I use it for my boot drive), no driver's needed. It should work the same on a Mac Pro. It has 4 ports, so for $107.94 to $138 you can get 8 SATA III ports.

HighPoint Rocket 640L Lite Version 4-Port PCI-Express 2.0 x4 SATA 6Gb/s RAID Controller
New $69.00 & FREE Shipping or Used $53.97 & FREE Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Edgecrusherr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:34 PM   #5
VirtualRain
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
I did not see in your write-up if you are on 10.7 or 10.8. I know some HPT adapters worked with older OSX versions only.

Reading the 8 1-star reviews on amazon and 11 on newegg (23%) does not install any confidence in the HPT product.
Has yours been running reliably?

The HPT 2720SGL is not mentioned on the Highpoint MAC site.
http://www.hptmac.com/product-category.php

I assume that it is a legacy product without ongoing support.

On a related note: do the SFF-8087 to SATA forward breakout cables come in SATA II and SATA III versions? I have not seen that mentioned on amazon or newegg but wouldn't a SATA II (3 Gb/s) cable bottle-neck my Vertex 4 or a pair of Kingston HyperX SSD's?

I found a discussion on Hardforum about that: http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1696941.html.

Edit: after reading some more on the ATTO site it seems that the maximum speed per port is 6Gb/s for SAS and 3 Gb/s for SATA as it does not mention SATA III at all. Under specifications: SAS, SATA, SATA II. That means that it would bottleneck a newer generation SSD.

"8 internal ports in a low-profile form factor
x8 PCIe 2.0 host connection
9.6GB/s throughput in full duplex-mode
SAS, SATA, SATA II connectivity
Advanced Data Streaming (ADS™) Technology
Support for up to 1024 end devices
User-friendly GUI based configuration utility".
I'm not the only one using the 2720SGL in a Mac Pro here. I got the recommendation from another member. He also had no problems. Hack users are also using this card (and its bootable In a Hack).

I'm running the latest OS X.

It does not bottleneck my SSDs as you can see from my write up. It's one of the few SATA3 cards with a x8 bus interface which will be critical with more than a few SSDs. The cables are fully capable of SATA3 speeds whether they are rated for it or not (Although I didn't know there were special SATA3 cables - are you sure that's not just marketing BS?).

Highpoint support is notoriously bad so I wouldn't recommend them if you expect to need support. However for a cheap DIY card that performs, I could not find better bang for the buck.
__________________
tools: nMP for photography, rMBP for working, iPad for surfing, iPhone for communicating, Mac Mini for entertaining
Canon tools: 5D Mark III 24-105L/70-300L/35L/50L/85L for capturing
VirtualRain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
sgunes
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Thanks for all the input.

I have the Highpoint 2640x4 HBA which I tried to install in my main rig.
Some people got it to work with various highpoint.kexts. I tried multiple PCI-E slots and it would throw all kinds of errors, booting hangups including making my mouse and keyboard not work (cannot explain it either).
I installed it in my Gigabyte Lifehacker and even in Windows it does not work reliably and I am getting BSODs.
So I already have a non-supported HPT card sitting around.

I am afraid to spend $160 on a HPT card that may not work with 10.9.
With the much more expensive but OSX supporting ATTO there is a chance that they will have drivers for OS updates.

Everything else in my SR-2 works like a charm without any problems.

Anybody here who does have the ATTO 608 and has good experience with it?
sgunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:25 PM   #7
mcnallym
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Atto and Areca seem to be the cards to get with OSX, in terms of continued driver support.

I used to use a Highpoint, however since they started getting the drivers included in the OSX image then there Internal Card support for OSX has been terrible.

Also used 3ware in the past but wouldn't bother again as they also seem to drop support.
__________________
Mac Pro 2010 - 3.33Hex, 12Gb DDR-1333, OCZ Vector 512Gb x 4 on Sonnet SSD Pro,
4 x 1Tb Samsung F3 SW RAID0, Zotac 680GTX 4Gb
Optiarc AD-7240S, Pioneer BDR-208DBK
mcnallym is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
sgunes
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnallym View Post
Atto and Areca seem to be the cards to get with OSX, in terms of continued driver support.

I used to use a Highpoint, however since they started getting the drivers included in the OSX image then there Internal Card support for OSX has been terrible.

Also used 3ware in the past but wouldn't bother again as they also seem to drop support.
Thanks for the feedback. I will go with the ATTO 608.
sgunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:39 AM   #9
VirtualRain
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgunes View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will go with the ATTO 608.
Have you seen these issues with over heating?... Is this affecting the R608 only?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1576706
__________________
tools: nMP for photography, rMBP for working, iPad for surfing, iPhone for communicating, Mac Mini for entertaining
Canon tools: 5D Mark III 24-105L/70-300L/35L/50L/85L for capturing
VirtualRain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:26 PM   #10
sgunes
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualRain View Post
Have you seen these issues with over heating?... Is this affecting the R608 only?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1576706
I hope it affects only the R6XX cards as the simple H6XX models do not have to do all the parity calculations like the built-in RAID controller on the R models.

I ordered my ATTO 608 this morning. It will be placed in a well-ventilated case (Lian-Li PC-80) with 3 front 140mm intake fans and top and rear exhaust fans.

If I get any overheating issues, I will let everyone here know about it.
sgunes is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC