macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettApple View Post
MacBook is finished, for now

Good stuff man. Mirin'
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:27 AM   #227
(Chanticleer)
macrumors newbie

I have a White Early 2008 MacBook, always wanted the black though. I always stay on the lookout for a good deal. However, I still use my white one everyday, and never had a problem with it.
(Chanticleer) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:53 PM   #228
tekameleon
macrumors newbie

Talking

Still rocking' the BlackBook that i bought early 2007.

Over the years both the SuperDrive & Bluetooth controller failed. I got the top case replaced under warrantee (cracks), had to replace the HDD a couple of times (capacity), and maxed out the RAM. Otherwise she's been a pretty solid little machine.

About a year ago the battery stopped charging; traced the issue to either the Magsafe controller or logic board… but it still worked like a champ as long as it was plugged in.

Last weekend I noticed a BlackBook on Kijiji listed for $200 with description "Cracked and falling apart. Runs really hot and shuts down randomly. Good only for parts." Thought it might be worth a shot - if nothing else, just to get the magsafe controller and get mine up-and-running as a laptop again.

Went back-and-forth with the guy and finally settled on $80 without the power adapter or HDD. Apparently his original price was negotiable.

Spent the better part of an afternoon scavenging parts - the case of the Kijiji MacBook was pretty thrashed, and the innards were full of lint / gunge - clearly hadn't been taken care of over the years.

Tried swapping the Magsafe Controller, no dice.

Thought the logic boards looked pretty similar so took a shot and swapped the Logic Board, SuperDrive, Bluetooth Card, AirPort Card into my 'old' MacBook - and they all work great!

Plus, the battery that came with it had only 162 cycles on it so I swapped that as well.

Works great - albeit a bit of a frankenstein internally. Shows as a mid-2007 in "System Information". Apparently the logic board just needed a good cleaning and reapply of thermal paste.

So… $80 and a few hours have restored my little BlackBook to almost new status. It's not a race-horse, but it sure is a work-horse.
tekameleon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook