Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pixelmator.jpg
Back in December, the team behind Pixelmator posted a lengthy apology on their blog after a bug in OS X 10.8.2 would sometimes cause Macs to restart or the app to crash when intensively using the popular image editor.

It appears that the issue has now been resolved with the release of OS X 10.8.3 last week. From Pixelmator's blog:
Since the release of the OS X 10.8.3 update last Thursday, we've been thoroughly testing Pixelmator on it. We can finally confirm that Pixelmator's biggest problem (caused by NVIDIA graphics card drivers) is now solved! For that, we owe a tremendous thanks to the guys at Apple and NVIDIA for listening to us and probably many other developers, and then doing something about it.

Go ahead, everyone, and download the OS X 10.8.3 update to your Macs!

Article Link: Pixelmator Crashing Issue Fixed in OS X 10.8.3

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
But ever since I updated to 10.8.3 my 2010 MacBook Pro with the 330m gt graphics has been crashing at least once everyday time I use it

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
10.8.3 has solved a lot of little bugs I've had for awhile, and thankfully a couple of these bigger, system-crashing ones. The most annoying one besides this Pixelmator issue though was on some late-2012 Mac Minis I recently installed at work. I've had some issues with certain types of printing causing the computers to crash, and that's since been resolved in 10.8.3. Oddly, or not, it only affected the late-2012 Macs running 10.8.2 as a 27" late-2012 iMac had the same issue while a 21.5" mid-2011 iMac worked fine.

fredou

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
now I know why my Mac was sometimes crashing... I thought it was a device plugged that had an incompatibility or faulty ram.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
great news, although my use of Pixelmator wasn't affected, waiting for the driver fix to solve this issue must have been torture for these devs!

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Great! I've been waiting for a fix for this bug. I guess I haven't noticed any issues since updating--it's nice to see that it's been solved.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
I stop using Adobe photoshop and everything adobe (my last suite was cs3 design premium) and now Pixelmator is my new Photoshop and to be honest it has been the best experience over Photoshop. I'm not kidding... This is my suite now: Pixelmator, iDraw, Swift Publisher and Flux 4 (every one of them available in the Mac App Store) my clients didn't know the change of software, my printshop either, and Still received works made in Photoshop to keep working on and deliver. Every app works incredibly good. Every app supports standard formats and every app can achieved what you are used to when you were a slave of a CS Expensive Nightmare.

I didn't get any crashes but I was wondering what was making my Mac restart now and then.... I was blaming a new external drive and now I know was Pixelmator! So far so good! Keep the good work guys!

JM-Prod

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
FCP X stopped crashing as well, it used to crash quite regularly with a GPU error report on our system.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
From my experience, Pixelmator is for the most part a piece of crap. It crashes (frequently) making me lose work (frequently) despite it's half-assed approach to saving stuff to iCloud (did it? didn't it? Who knows!).

They also moved a lot of stuff around in the menus with a recent update which have made it difficult to find things, and their only documentation is how-to videos which means I can't just go and reference "where is function x?" but i have to watch a voiced-over video for who knows how long hoping I can grab the one piece of information I need.

Combine that with the quirky way it sometimes does what you are asking it to do, and sometimes does...something completely different, I don't know it's worth the $15 (and certainly not the $30 I paid).

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
From my experience, Pixelmator is for the most part a piece of crap. It crashes (frequently) making me lose work (frequently) despite it's half-assed approach to saving stuff to iCloud (did it? didn't it? Who knows!).

They also moved a lot of stuff around in the menus with a recent update which have made it difficult to find things, and their only documentation is how-to videos which means I can't just go and reference "where is function x?" but i have to watch a voiced-over video for who knows how long hoping I can grab the one piece of information I need.

Combine that with the quirky way it sometimes does what you are asking it to do, and sometimes does...something completely different, I don't know it's worth the $15 (and certainly not the $30 I paid).

Top Menubar, under "Help" --written help information so you don't need to watch the site videos. :)

Also, you can usually get your questions answered relatively quickly on the following link:
http://support.pixelmator.com/viewforum.php?f=3

And there are terrific tutorials for Pixelmator on PXM-Tuts.com, Abduzeedo, IdeaVenue.com, TripletSisters.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-03-21 at 11.51.29 AM.JPG
    Screen shot 2013-03-21 at 11.51.29 AM.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen shot 2013-03-21 at 11.54.50 AM.JPG
    Screen shot 2013-03-21 at 11.54.50 AM.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 157

vea1083

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
But ever since I updated to 10.8.3 my 2010 MacBook Pro with the 330m gt graphics has been crashing at least once everyday time I use it
Curiously, I too had a momentary graphics crash in my 2010 MacBook Pro with the 330m processor last tuesday. In my case the screen and keyboard seemed to become unresponsive for about 3-5 seconds before returning to normal. Since, then I have yet to experience a similar issue. I wonder if your issue was similar to mine.

Believe it or not ever since I heard pixelmator talking about a problem with the nvidia drivers in 10.8.2 and their software I was worried that a change in the graphics drivers would be instability to my Mac all for the sake of solving a compatibility issue from their software with Apple drivers. Needless to say, Apple and Nvidia always have been a love and hate relationship when it comes to Mac Drivers.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I've had a lot of success with pixlr.com. Usually when I need to photoshop, it's just some minor editing or masking I need to do, so free is better than whatever PS or Pixelmator costs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.