Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
What if we do not want to share everything in our iPad,iPhone or iPod with Facebook? Is there a way to completely remove Facebook from the new iOS 6?

Sdreed91

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
The app is not pre loaded into the OS. If you decide to active your Facebook account through settings, just like twitter for iOS 5 it will give you the option to download the app. It is not preloaded into the OS.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
It doesn't automatically share anything. If you wanted to share a picture, you'd have to manually do that in the Photos app. Like the above poster said, it's not preloaded / built in. You can delete it just like any other app.

post/ergo

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2009
Great Britain
First off (correct me if I've missed something) nothing is automatically shared with Facebook, for the iOS integration to work you need to be singed in to Facebook through iOS settings. Here you can turn on or off Facebooks access to iOS Calendar and Contacts.

Each 3rd app that want's to access this sign in information requests to use it when you start the app, This can be retroactively revoked through the Privacy settings.

Bottom line through if you do not want to use the Facebook integration don't add your login information in iOS, The Facebook app will work as a standalone app.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I wouldn't mind having Facebook birthdays show up in my calendar, but I just don't trust Facebook with any kind of access to my phone. Just like I don't trust Google. But that's just me..

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I wouldn't mind having Facebook birthdays show up in my calendar, but I just don't trust Facebook with any kind of access to my phone. Just like I don't trust Google. But that's just me..

This is pretty much why I asked these questions here today :)

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
. . . for the iOS integration to work you need to be singed in to Facebook through iOS settings. Here you can turn on or off Facebooks access to iOS Calendar and Contacts.

I'd like the ability to choose to post things to Facebook from different areas on the phone but, like some others, I don't want Facebook integrating with my contacts/calendars etc.

I hope I'm incorrect but, as I understand it from reading this forum, once you sign in to the new Facebook integration it automatically performs the sync and you then have to turn this "feature" off afterward If you don't want it.

This seems kind of pointless to me as the damage is already done.

Bottom line through if you do not want to use the Facebook integration don't add your login information in iOS, The Facebook app will work as a standalone app.

I hope this will continue to be the case and that they don't force us down the road of full integration in the future.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
I'd like the ability to choose to post things to Facebook from different areas on the phone but, like some others, I don't want Facebook integrating with my contacts/calendars etc.

I hope I'm incorrect but, as I understand it from reading this forum, once you sign in to the new Facebook integration it automatically performs the sync and you then have to turn this "feature" off afterward If you don't want it.

This seems kind of pointless to me as the damage is already done.

I hope this will continue to be the case and that they don't force us down the road of full integration in the future.

Once you have seen their permission requests on Google where they mention "Act as account authenticator/Manager and manage all known accounts" You really don't want to trust them :eek:

The option to sync will keep coming up on Facebook each and every time you log in until you hit the freakin SYNC button to get rid of it. Otherwise there is no way to get rid of the SYNC or DON'T SYNC option. They pretty much want all your notes,contacts,account details and pictures. They are like a Virus or Cancer in the smartphone.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I was asked one time if I wanted to give FB access to my contacts and calendar. I said no, and it hasn't asked again. I happen to like being able to share to FB on my own terms, so I signed in, and gave it permission to post, but that's it. You can choose some access, or all, or none whatsoever. It's not a big intrusive thing.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Once you have seen their permission requests on Google where they mention "Act as account authenticator/Manager and manage all known accounts" You really don't want to trust them :eek:

The option to sync will keep coming up on Facebook each and every time you log in until you hit the freakin SYNC button to get rid of it. Otherwise there is no way to get rid of the SYNC or DON'T SYNC option. They pretty much want all your notes,contacts,account details and pictures. They are like a Virus or Cancer in the smartphone.

I think I'll just stick to the Facebook app until I'm forced to change (if that ever happens).

It's not that much hassle to have to open up the app when I want to post something & I value the privacy of my information & that of my contacts more.

Vranicoff

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Removing facebook

I'd also like to completely remove the facebook (and Twitter) references. I'll not insist Apple remove any opportunity to access these services. They should still be there by choice for those who don't have a problem standing naked to corporate America by storing their information in unregulated public data repositories. But those of us who do not wish to participate should not be forced to look at references to these services in our settings screen and share functions of iOS. Choice needs to go both ways. I'm really pretty sick of my devices increasingly becoming marketing tools rather than the personal resource I purchased. I paid for it, I shouldn't have to put up with any external intrusions. Apple needs to give them away if they are going to keep selling access to their customers.
Forcing this software, or even references to it, on the customer is akin to my buying a house and finding out that a local Gazette reporter must also live there, "but don't worry he won't report anything if you don't ask him to." The way facebook propagates Trojan horse software along the lines of the "Like" button, which reports everyone visiting a page, whether clicked or not, and masquerading it as a user feature, or the "Connect" feature that has the "added benefit" not really talked about, of also reporting whose been on the page and identifying them when it's used - I'm certainly not going to trust any reference to the company on my compute device.
So, back to the original question, does anyone know how to remove all references to the facebook (and Twitter) services? I presume it would involve jailbreaking and some behind the scenes work.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'd also like to completely remove the facebook (and Twitter) references. I'll not insist Apple remove any opportunity to access these services. They should still be there by choice for those who don't have a problem standing naked to corporate America by storing their information in unregulated public data repositories. But those of us who do not wish to participate should not be forced to look at references to these services in our settings screen and share functions of iOS. Choice needs to go both ways. I'm really pretty sick of my devices increasingly becoming marketing tools rather than the personal resource I purchased. I paid for it, I shouldn't have to put up with any external intrusions. Apple needs to give them away if they are going to keep selling access to their customers.
Forcing this software, or even references to it, on the customer is akin to my buying a house and finding out that a local Gazette reporter must also live there, "but don't worry he won't report anything if you don't ask him to." The way facebook propagates Trojan horse software along the lines of the "Like" button, which reports everyone visiting a page, whether clicked or not, and masquerading it as a user feature, or the "Connect" feature that has the "added benefit" not really talked about, of also reporting whose been on the page and identifying them when it's used - I'm certainly not going to trust any reference to the company on my compute device.
So, back to the original question, does anyone know how to remove all references to the facebook (and Twitter) services? I presume it would involve jailbreaking and some behind the scenes work.

As far as I'm aware, simply NOT signing in under settings will remove the post tabs on the notification center, and NOT installing the apps will remove any other facebook references.....

Does it still show up in sharing menus even without the app installed? I doubt there is any way to remove it if it does....

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
... Does it still show up in sharing menus even without the app installed? I doubt there is any way to remove it if it does....

It is in the menus even without the app installed. And I think you are correct about there being no way to remove it.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I love how the inability to over-customize iOS is supposed to be one of its strongest selling points ... until there's a feature that you personally want to see removed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Having the Facebook or Twitter icon in the sharing menu without it actually being linked to anything isn't really a big deal at all--simply don't use it, and even if you do select it for some reason it will ask you to sign in and grant permissions and all that, so you can easily back out of it and not do it. Far far from an issue, let alone some sort of a big deal.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Everybody else already said it, but I'll try to be straight forward.

iOS6 does not default to integration with Twitter or Facebook. YOU have to sign in to those to allow integration. iOS6 simply makes that integration simple for those who want to use it. I am not among those.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Simple dont sign in to Facebook via settings.

This is the answer - very simple !
Leave everything blank in Settings - Facebook

Yes, you still see it in some of the menus - but other items show up also
Unless you are OCD you just ignore that tile.

Attachments

• IMG_0101.PNG
    IMG_0101.PNG
    111.2 KB · Views: 153
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.