Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Hi all,

Have a very strange issue on a site I'm helping develop as a volunteer project. I'm pretty familiar with Joomla, but this site is being built to be bilingual, something I've not done before.

In Safari, relative links work just fine, and the /en/ or /es/ is added just as it should be (based on the browser's language setting, or the override option provided). But in Chrome, while it displays the correct URL in the address bar, I get an Error 200 when clicking the "Click here to contact us..." link in the page content (link below).

http://03754ff.netsolhost.com/en/locations/other-locations

Strangely enough, when I get the Error 200 in Chrome, the URL is correct, and visiting it directly works just fine (you can just hit return in the menu bar on the error page and it loads the proper page).

Any thoughts? Is this a cookie issue, or something in the JSS/CSS?

Thanks much!

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Looks like a cookie issue, indeed.

The problem is at http://03754ff.netsolhost.com/en/contact

Whatever is detecting the browser language setting the cookie is malformed by the time that page attempts to load.

Note: I am surprised it's not a session only cookie, which is all that's needed for something like this, less issues with stale client side expiry cookies.

Beyond that minor issue, many Joomla users report issues related to language and cookie failures via the "languagefilter" plugin usually found in /plugins/system/languagefilter/languagefilter.php. If you have it, start looking there. This is what happens, regardless of root cause:

Code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 17:58:40 GMT Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.8 P3P: CP="NOI ADM DEV PSAi COM NAV OUR OTRo STP IND DEM" Expires: Cache-Control: private, no-cache Content-Encoding: gzip X-Content-Encoded-By: Joomla! 2.5 Pragma: no-cache Set-Cookie: 79600db82941586ad8e0462aea30dbf0=en-GB; expires=Thu, 12-Jun-2014 17:58:40 GMT; path=/ Keep-Alive: timeout=3, max=199 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

But there is a ton of bad characters that follows making the cookie malformed, and the server spits that out that error. As this issue is very proprietary to a Joomla plugin (most likely), you might want to visit forums for that specific plugin if nobody here responds with a known quick fix. Try changing the code to generate and detect a session cookie, you might get better results. I am not saying this is the fix.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Thanks much! I am using third-party software called Easy Language to automatically choose the content to display (rather than duplicate everything in two languages, this is much easier for the client). The Easy Language people say their software isn't producing cookies, and it looks to be a languageswitcher problem.

Since I'm not terribly good with figuring out where this is coming from, I've just included the language in the relative URL (en/contact or es/contact) - not as elegant, but the links work now. Saves me from figuring out which part of the cookie is garbling itself... It was suggested even the text resizer could be triggering it. Too many options to debug for an unpaid site.

Much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.